E 2WD/4WD on snow - who's done it? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #1
softarch
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

I know there's a long thread about 2WD vs 4WD, but let's get to practical experience. Yeah, it "feels good" to have a 4WD vehicle, but are you glad you spent the money from a practical point of view? Since the E is not for off-road, we're talking about handling/safety in bad weather as the main justification for 4WD (in my opinion).

Who has driven the 2WD on snow/heavy rain and how was it?

Who has driven the 4WD on snow/heavy rain and how was it?

Anyone driving the 2WD E who was in the snow this winter/spring and is kicking yourself for not getting 4WD?

Anyone driving the 4WD who has found it to be "too-late 4WD" as it has been described, since it's neither full-time nor operator-controlled, but on-when-the-computer-kicks-in-the-hydraulics?

Finally, is there anyone by chance who has driven both the 2WD and 4WD E in bad conditions, and how do they compare?
softarch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
T Mac
EOC Founder, Admin
2004 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via Yahoo to T Mac
Might ask this member! ;) hehe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
chris1991

You have to remember that Honda's "Realtime 4WD is not truly 4WD. It's all-wheel drive. it's always on. Otherwise, it depends on where you live. Up here in WI, I'd never ever get a 2WD element. i feel safer driving my IS 300 in snow than that. but if you live somewhere where you never get snow, then 2WD is perfect. You'd be spending money on something you don't need!..Hope this helps!
chris1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
isketerol
EOC Rank: Oxygen

We have a good amount of snow here n the Toronto area. I am not worried about the "E" handling it at all. After all, I was driving a rear-wheel drive Chevy S-10 pickup. It fishtailed all of the time in the slightest rain or snow even when starting in 2nd gear. The "E" handled beautifully in a heavy rainfall the other day. What a nice difference!

Aftermarket: aluminum antenna & oil cap, shock covers, chrome license plate holder, yellow bungee, Koss MP3 cd player
Momo: shift boot, shifter, pedals
Honda: half-nose Mask, carpets, exhaust tip, cargo net, keyless/security systems, mudguards
isketerol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2003, 06:24 AM   #5
meanelvis
EOC Rank: Helium
2WD DX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

yeah yeah, i'm in chicagoland illinois but the first weekend i had my e we had some weird weather here that probably dumped a couple inches of rain in an hour. one of the results was that my street flooded with 4-6" of standing water at each intersection. to get to my house i had to drive through 3 of them, and i definitely felt the 4wd kick in. the e plowed thru the water like a champ.

just to get an idea of how high the water was, each time i entered a flooded section of street, my mud guards caught on the water, sending a huge spray of water about 20 feet ahead of the car.

this was, of course, a "don't try this at home kids" moment. also, i might add, a not-so-smart moment for me. but the 4wd did help.

in moderate rain i've also felt it kick in during what i'll call "stoplight merges" where a particularly slow stoplight stays red for quite awhile, and in order to get going i must place a certain amount of risk on my life/car. on these occasions accellerating at full throttle from 0 to about 60, i definitely appreciate the 4wd.

in summary i feel that it was a good upgrade for me. and i've only owned it 4 weeks :)
Old 06-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
Staggie
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD EX MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

I grew up in the snowy midwest and always did OK with front wheel drive in the snow. I can't imagine while an IS300 would be better in the snow than an E.

I tend to agree with the adage that 4WD lets you get an extra 10 feet off the road when you wreck. Many snow driving problems relate to excessive speed for conditions and the resulting skidding and sliding when turning, braking, etc. 4WD may help you get moving a little better, but it wont make up for driving to match conditions.
Staggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2003, 11:43 AM   #7
bufguy
2011 4WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

Send a message via Yahoo to bufguy
Why would AWD kick in if your driving through standing water unless you were going way to fast? Are you saying you would have gotten stuck with just FWD, or that FWD would not have gotten you to your driveway as fast? How does AWD help in standing water?

I live in Buffalo, and the only way you can get stuck with a relatively heavy FWD vehicle is if you get hung up. We do have plows here!

I have seen more SUV's off in a ditch here in the winter than any other vehicle. They may go a little faster in snow but they don't stop any faster.

My advice to anyone who lives in the snow belt whether you have AWD, FWD, or RWD is get four snow tires. Its the best investment you can make
bufguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2003, 02:44 PM   #8
crazycat

Send a message via MSN to crazycat
I'll agree with Iskie on this one as well. Ottawa has been known to have a few snowflakes on occasion THe first time I test drove the E was in an auto awd during a blizzard! It felt very slippy and not nearly as sure footed as my Suzuki. Next week drove a 5 spd 2wd. Much more enjoyable 'drive' in another blizzard. Given the absolute obscene mark up Honda is putting on their awd and the fact they're automatics, I just couldn't justify picking that model. Having had a 4wd vehicle for the last 10 years I can honestly say it's not worth the money in gas or insurance, especially if you live in a city. Last winter I think I put the 4wd on twice (had to leave before the plow went by!). Snow tires are a much more economical and sensible alternative.
crazycat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2003, 07:41 PM   #9
GYPSYTDA
EOC Rank: Carbon

we had a decent amount of snow this year.. and we have had constant rain for sometime now (I heard there is a sun somewhere, but not in these parts) Alas.. heavy rain and high snow with ice packed under.. the E has been a dream. Handles with out a thought, beautifully, flawlessly!

I have a 4wd, and i am new to having a 4wd, but I am more then pleased with the performance, agility, and the hold the E has had! very nice!!
leather whl, side step, sun rf scrn, rr bump trim, fogs, bungees, cargo stuff, SOON: metal accnts & mats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GYPSYTDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.