2wd or 4wd? - Page 17 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #161
cfbales
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

I too live in the L.A. area and have the AWD. Love it. It's nice to have when driving in snow conditions and it also gives me peace of mind we get those heavy rainstorms. Some say that having the extra weight in the rear actually helps the handling all of the time. One other point in buying AWD is that the real difference in price at time of purchase (less than the sticker) seems to hold when it comes time for resale. I've had that same experience with a couple of Jeep Cherokees and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've never had any regrets spending the extra money and usually get most of it back in the end. Not a bad deal. Also, get a manual and have fun!
Kid's Car:FIJI BLUE PEARL, HONDA ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS, REAR CARGO TRAY
cfbales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #162
tango
EOC Rank: Carbon
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

Reasons NOT TO Buy 4WD
More expensive - to buy and to maintain
Lower MPG/Extra Weight
Only works in snow or rain when traveling under 25 MPH - does not help with hydroplaning (spend money on better All Weather tires instead)
No sunroof to drip rain down your collar when you leave it open and it starts raining where you can't oull off to close it (not reachable from the front seat)
IN many places (like CA,TX, FL) the 2wd has just as high a resale as the 4WD - 4WD is seldom a "make or break" option in those areas - most avg people don't care one way or another.

Why buy something you don't need and waste money on gas and maint thru-out the life of the car just on the off chance you "might" need it some day? Unless you drive frequently in areas where 4WD would really be beneficial in some way year-round, 4WD is frankly - un-needed and unused.

I bought the 2WD (which I LOVE and to me it feels peppier than the 4WD) and then spent MY extra money on great new tires (at 57 miles) and loads of mods for the E, like carpet, a console armrest, etc. I don't yearn for the 4WD for a minute - even in winter or heavy rain, with the excellent new tires, my 2WD does GREAT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #163
Rock E Top
2003 2WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

We just topped off at 60" of snow for the season. 2WD has served us well.

"Every time you get behind the wheel, you are teaching your kids how to drive." - Me
Rock E Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #164
biocube
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 4WD EXS MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango
Reasons NOT TO Buy 4WD
More expensive - to buy and to maintain
Lower MPG/Extra Weight
Only works in snow or rain when traveling under 25 MPH - does not help with hydroplaning (spend money on better All Weather tires instead)
No sunroof to drip rain down your collar when you leave it open and it starts raining where you can't oull off to close it (not reachable from the front seat)
IN many places (like CA,TX, FL) the 2wd has just as high a resale as the 4WD - 4WD is seldom a "make or break" option in those areas - most avg people don't care one way or another.
well, i'll agree with you on #1 and #2, but what the heck are you talking about 25mph????

it works at any speed.

i live in SoCal, and love having it. in fact, i needed it just this past weekend when i was up skiing. all the 2wd cars had to chain up, whilst i cruised along.

and i've never gotten water on me from the sunroof, its in the back! one time i had water come in when it was parked and open, when there were strong cross winds, but never driving

tango, been drinking????
Old 02-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #165
biocube
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 4WD EXS MT

and shelley--check out the SoCal regional section, where there are lots of dealership discussions
Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #166
tygab
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

I like having 4WD, but I live in an area where in a normal winter we'd get several snowstorms of 1-2 ft consecutively & I'd go to the mtns to ski and snowshoe frequently. This winter is not normal - we've gotten about 4 inches total so far where I am, and I haven't done any skiing this year either. In general, I also always run with snows in winter and good summer tires in summer. But I will do this only once the stockers are fairly spent.

4WD can also be helpful for unpaved. I sometimes drive on muddy or dirt/gravel roads to camp, hike, n kayak, and it can be good there as well.

If your driving is largely on pavement in warm, dry conditions (typical of SoCal), you are probably best off getting 2WD. I agree that shoeing your car in proper tires will do a great deal to increase your satisfaction with the handling.

It, like many other things (such as best Element color, Auto vs Stick, PC vs Mac) is a personal choice based on one's own experience and preferences.

Last edited by tygab; 02-05-2007 at 01:23 AM.
tygab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #167
lilherc79
EOC Rank: Helium

Depending on where you live in socal, and how far you are willing to drive. I can probably get you hooked up with a honda dealer. I know the sales manager there, and i've bought close to 10 honda from him in just the past year alone. He gives me great pricing too so let me know if you're interested.

lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #168
mid"E"
2003 4WD EX AT

I have the Realtime and i love it.Like everyone else has said,it depends on where you intend to go.The 4wd is not just a benefit in the snow but kicks in when it detects wheel slippage in rainy conditions as well as gravel/dirt roads.As for the extra weight and gas consumption i personally don't find it an issue at all.My E has plenty of get-up-and-go,All i will ever need.Remember the fuel efficiency is not the greatest to begin with.It's a box.The added sunroof in the rear proves invaluable in the summertime and provides adequate air flow and can be completely removed if you need to transport tall items home.Mine doesn't leak.If you are just doing city driving i wouldn't bother,but if you love the backroads of life then get the Realtime 4wd.
mid"E" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #169
badfishgood
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Shelley,

If you are driving in the Sierra, Angeles, and San Bernardino mtns. during the winter then you will need 4WD. If you don't visit the mountains, then you probably will not need the 4WD.

It is that simple.

As far as dealer recommendations... Scott Robinson of Torrance. Family owned, fantastic service.
badfishgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #170
Speedy Toaster Dave
EOC Rank: Iron
2005 4WD EX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Cool

we get snow ..sometimes and i need it and mine works at all speed not 25 mph..:rolleyes:
Speedy Toaster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Tags
2010 , 2wd , 4wd , fwd , snow , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.