2wd or 4wd? - Page 23 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #221
Twilightzero
EOC Rank: Sulfur
2007 4WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Remember to complement that with good all-season or snow tires. This cannot be understated as the stock tires pretty much suck rocks in inclement weather.

"Always use protection, be it latex or legal"
-Twilightzero

Join Cap'n Twirate's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EOC Bucanneers!

Mods: ASA JS6 rims, Nokian WR-SUV tires,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Curt Class III trailer hitch,
, Infinity 6022si Speakers, Shen's Side Marker Turn Signals, Leather shift boot, K&N filter,
, Home Depot Grill
Twilightzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #222
cdubea
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

I've lived in areas with heavy rain (New Orleans) and heavy snow (Northern VA) and yes it's worth it. She never misses a beat in adverse weather. That is what the AWD (not 4WD) is all about.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #223
Bowzer
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Minimal weight gain + minimal addition of maintenance = better than moderate increase (vs just FWD) in capacity to get around some backcountry trails and the beach. For me, it was a perfect and easy choice.
Member #23,382
238k Miles and Rolling
Lotsa Honda's...Lotsa miles
08 ASM EX AWD AT
Mods to Date: OEM Fogs, Home Depot Grill, Dual Dome Light Operation
Mods to Come: Assorted scratches, scuffs, and hidden french fries
Bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #224
BraveLittleToasterLX
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Send a message via MSN to BraveLittleToasterLX Send a message via Yahoo to BraveLittleToasterLX
I've got Real Time 4WD in my 2006 Element LX, I LOVE it. There's been a few times I've been going down a country road only to figure out "oh ****! It's muddy!" and can't turn around. So what ends up happening is a feat of epic measures. I creep through the mud at 20MPG, staying on the high spots (apparently most people around my area have huge 3/4 ton jacked up trucks, so the ruts are deep enough for me to get stuck high center.) and when I get through, it's a quick acceleration and a very muddy Sharkie. XD I love it!

Tricks: 12" light bar inside top nook above glovebox, various mud spots, Igloo Koolmate 36 MiniFridge, Backseat mat from a Mitsubishi Eclipse (Eclipse trunk mat fits great!), Stinky hockey skates and quads in clam-shell trunk.
BraveLittleToasterLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #225
Mikement
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 *Former Element owner
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

I have it and love it. We get deep snow here and the Element gets through it with no problem.

Mikement is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #226
woosterpuss
Premium Member
2004 4WD LX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

no regrets either. i recently moved from mass to norcal and have no intention of getting rid of the e.
but like others have said, tires, tires, tires!
stock gy's are garbage in the cold. the best thing you can do for the e is get new tires before the winter comes. better stability and traction will serve you well.
happy hunting!!

woosterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #227
illig
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX 5AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

IMHO the best reason to get AWD even if you don't use it is increased resale value... just compare what used elements sell for in your area - ones with and without AWD
illig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #228
bobmak57
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

I have a FWD SC with very good snows, live in Boston ski 20-30 days a year in NH and Maine and have had no issues. I've missed first tracks a few times because of over consumption of alcohol the night before but never because my E couldn't make it through the snow. Before this had a Ford Explorer and I can honestly say my SC does a better job in the snow.
bobmak57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #229
TrailRyder316
2006 4WD LX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

I can attest to its usefulness, and there are now dirt roads I would not hessitate to take now that I have it.

If you need proof, look at my album of Dinkey Creek wilderness photos and you'll see me doing what no E with stock tires should do, and that is cross a 10 ft. by 4 ft. high snow berm. By all accounts I should have never gotten over that, and it did take me 30 minutes to finally do it, but the AWD system did its job and thankfully there were no large rocks below the snow to destroy something expensive.
  • Injen short ram intake
  • Injen cat back exhaust
  • Alpine CDE-103BT head unit
  • Focal Access 165 CA1 speakers
  • Weathertech rubber floormats
  • Yakima roof rack
  • Yakima MegaWarrior cargo holder
  • AVS bug deflector
  • Honda Tailgate Cabana
  • Draw Tite Class III 2" hitch
  • Rola 59502 hitch mounted cargo carrier

.......we call him "growler"
TrailRyder316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #230
H2BUCool
2003 4WD EX 5AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

2WD vs. 4WD 2011 Element

Hi, new member here. I've been driving a Honda Element 2003 EX 4WD since buying it new in 2003. I just found out about the EOC a couple days ago! I can't believe all I've missed. I LOVE my Element.

I am purchasing a new 2011 EX 2WD next week.

I am wondering if I'll notice a difference in handling. I haven't driven the 2011 yet, but will this weekend BEFORE purchasing.

The reasons I am buying a 2WD and not a 4WD is cost and the fact that I mostly city and highway drive on flat roads. We live in the desert and I don't drive in mountains or off road.

Thanks for your input! I look forward to being a part of the EOC!
H2BUCool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Tags
2010 , 2wd , 4wd , fwd , snow , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.