2wd or 4wd? - Page 24 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #231
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Crankypants
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Welcome, H2BUCool.

The 2WD and 4WD handle just the same under normal conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #232
SD80
EOC Rank: Helium
2010 2WD LX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

I did the same kinda thing, traded an 04 AWD on a 10 FWD. Like Dan said, I didn't notice any difference. I felt, in the long run, not needing the car in bad weather, and the extra cost of the additional equipment, maintenance, etc, it would be better for me, and less expensive over time not to have AWD.

Hope you enjoy your new Element.

yak roof rack, tinted side windows, dog package floor mats, added the cooler, GPS, DVD player, extra 12volt plugs, and fog lamps.
SD80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #233
silnthowl
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 4WD EX MT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

4WD vs. FWD?

Hi Everyone!
I'm still looking for my first Element, and its tougher than I imagined.
Anyway, I wanted to hear people's opinions on how big of a difference the 4WD makes when it comes to winter driving conditions, or some non-extreme off road conditions.
I've been looking mostly at Elements with 4WD but found a nice one without it so I'm wondering.
I've only driven FWD vehicles so far, and the occasional slip and skid on winter ice that almost leads to a fender bender would be a nice issue to leave behind.

If there's already a thread covering this, I couldn't find it, my apologies.
silnthowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #234
hopeandpoke
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2009 2WD LX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

I have a front wheel drive and live in south michigan, front wheel drive works just fine in the snow.
hopeandpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #235
ramblerdan
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Silnthowl, since you didn't add your location to your profile, I need to ask, where are you located? We get lots of snow here in upstate N.Y., but in my travels here, in Vermont, and the Berkshires of Massachusetts, I've only had the 4WD kick in a few times. Mind you, those few times it was great to have. So it depends on how much snow you get and what kind of driving you do. Regularly drive to resorts to ski or snowboard? Live in a hilly area? Steep driveway?

Also, remember that 4WD doesn't make a lick of difference in road handling while under way or in braking. The roadsides up here are littered each winter with 4WD cars and SUVs whose owners had a false sense of invincibility.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #236
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

If you're in an area that gets deep enough snow that FWD isn't adequate to maintain control, making AWD a perceived necessity, think about getting a second set of tires designed for winter driving.

AWD works better when the tires have a fighting chance. AWD moves the wheels, but tires move the vehicle.
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #237
illig
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX 5AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

I would also consider the resale value of your element... if you're thinking about 4WD in your area, it's a good bet that other used car buyers are too

i'm in NYC, and even here (all paved roads, snow cleared within a day or two), folks prefer 4WD/AWD for perceived safety, so they're willing to pay more for a used car that has it

if you don't really care about resale, you can probably negotiate a 2WD model down a bit and buy a good set of snow tires with the savings for even better traction in winter! just remember the adage: 4WD will help you get going faster in the snow, but it won't help you slow down any faster... that's the main reason why you often see jeeps crashed into snow banks in winter

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
illig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #238
ramblerdan
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

+1 on snow tires. More important than 4WD, IMO.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 AM   #239
Big E
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

I saw a wise man on this site once write:
Compared to other 4WD and AWDs options out there... the Element's is comparatively inexpensive and doesn't kill the gas mileage. Why not get it?

Plus resale.
and
Yep, good tires.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #240
Mikement
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 *Former Element owner
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Better to have it and not need it - then to need it and not have it. It's nice to have in deep snow. That being said, if you have a good set of tires and halfway decent driving skill, your FWD will work. Pack a small shovel, chains and sand or kitty litter before venturing out in the white stuff. You will lose a few $$ at re-sale but your initial purchase price will be less.

Mikement is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Tags
2010 , 2wd , 4wd , fwd , snow , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.