2wd or 4wd? - Page 25 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #241
imbatman58
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 4WD LX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Send a message via AIM to imbatman58
I live on top of a mountain a little east of the poconos

4wd is nice for getting out of my gravel driveway that is really tough to shovel and sometimes it takes the plow a long time to get to us even if we pay someone to do it

thats the biggest difference i have noticed tires being equal

its def a little easier to get out of a snow gravel driveway

don't take life too seriously... nobody gets out alive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
imbatman58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #242
racerc2000
EOC Rank: Carbon
2010 SC 2WD 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

2wd 4wd it doesn't really matter.

besides you can always swap a 2wd to 4wd if you felt the need for it.

ive had no issues with snow etc not having 4wd just take it easy on starts or use 2nd gear start.

and +1 to snow tires. but mind you here in NY and I travel upstate during winter Greenville trnpk and mountain rd can be harsh.. I still dont have winter tires and did fine. the element in my eyes performed better in the snow then my ex AWD grand caravan.

In solitude, where we are least alone.
racerc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #243
skellington
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Living here in mostly sunny California I probably will never have much of a need having 4WD, I suppose it is just nice to know it is there if it is ever needed.
Good luck on your Element search !

Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #244
GeorgiaSurveyor
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2010 2WD EX AT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

2WD versus 4WD

I have a 2010 EX 2WD but I am considering getting a 4WD. I found an identical one at a dealer in another state. My questions are:

1) What's the difference in gas mileage?

2) Heavier? Does it perform and handle better/worse?

Any answers and comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks!
GeorgiaSurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #245
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Crankypants
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Threads merged.

According to specs published on the Honda Web site, fuel economy (city/highway/combined) for a 2010 EX auto is 20/25/22 for 2WD and 19/24/21 for 4WD. In other words, a negligible difference. The 4WD adds about 100 lbs. (all weights here). Handling is the same, except of course in regard to traction in slippery conditions.

OTOH, why do you need 4WD in Georgia?

Search term "4WD" also returns these relevant threads:
How does the Element handle Snow/Sand w/4WD?
4WD, limits of
Any 2WD vs 4WD Regrets?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #246
ToyBox2011
2011 4WD EX 5AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

I live in a ski town in Colorado and travel quite often in the mountains. I wouldn't have even considered a 2wd Element...
ToyBox2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #247
Haulin' Honda
Banned
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Unless you drive in the snow, I wouldn't bother with AWD.
Haulin' Honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #248
SAX JONZ
2011 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
IMHO the best reason to get AWD even if you don't use it is increased resale value... just compare what used elements sell for in your area - ones with and without AWD
You have a point but obviously you did not take in to account the fact that you more than paid that in lost gas mileage over the years.
I have the AWD as well and would have been just as happy with 2wd. Course it probably gets bad mileage either way. What the heck. I still love it even though it's a slow boat to China. I did Moto GP one weekend, rode up and wife took the E. I had my friends say they wanted to eat and drink and didn't want to ride after so I grabbed the E and well, I have an RSX S modded as much as stock will allow, I took a corner and I am quite sure that I was on two wheels as I was pushing off of my friends lap trying to right myself. We weren't even drinking, yet. lol I guess that would be a case of negative transfer. I didn't ever try to hang a corner again after that. I have to remember that I am in the E as sometimes I forget. lol
To me this is nothing more than a city dwellers Ute. My RSX with blizzaks blows by all, including AWD, in the heavy snow without so much as missing a beat. I love it. Tires are everything regardless of what anyone thinks. An AWD vehicle may take off with traction but I guarantee you that it doesn't stop any faster than a regular vehicle. False sense of security that has caused many soccer moms to find out the hard way.
SAX JONZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #249
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
What are the benefits of a 4WD versus not. I live in Los Angeles area and plan to have this car for a long time....
Improved traction overall on slippery roads. Helps the economy by using 5% more fuel, increasing collected fuel taxes, which is spent mostly in the USA, and if the transmission is made in the USA . . .
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #250
elementloverrr
2006 *Not an Element owner
Other

FWD or AWD?

I'm buying an element to go surfing in nova scotia (canada), i dont plan on doing any "off roading" but if i want to drive on sand or dirt trails to get to new surf spots i may need AWD. Basically what im asking is if AWD is going to be that much better than FWD. Is it worth all the extra maintenance cost and complications? Not to mention the fact i have a good deal lined up on a FWD 04 y package, should i wait for an AWD?
elementloverrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Tags
2010 , 2wd , 4wd , fwd , snow , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.