2wd or 4wd? - Page 26 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #251
elementloverrr
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 *Not an Element owner
Other

Im not looking for a vehicle that is safer or better in snow, all you have to do is be more careful and alert and SLOW DOWN with the FWD, but is the AWD going to have better offroading abillities? I wouldnt think much because its mostly about ground clearnance, anyones 2 cents would help.
elementloverrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #252
nacranym
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 2WD EXS 6MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementloverrr View Post
I'm buying an element to go surfing in nova scotia (canada), i dont plan on doing any "off roading" but if i want to drive on sand or dirt trails to get to new surf spots i may need AWD. Basically what im asking is if AWD is going to be that much better than FWD. Is it worth all the extra maintenance cost and complications? Not to mention the fact i have a good deal lined up on a FWD 04 y package, should i wait for an AWD?
our 4WD Element is our snow vehicle and our beach vehicle. boards and skis inside when we go to the mountains and kayaks or windsurfers on top when we go to the ocean. for the really soft sand, drop the tire pressure down to 14 while on the sand, pump it back up for asphalt. for 90% of our driving i'm sure that FWD would be sufficient, but i'm 1 of those guys that likes to go all the way. <grin>
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #253
TorGa3iGhT
EOC Rank: Helium
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

I live in Socal and I didn't even consider a 2wd, primarily because I go snowboarding almost every weekend down here, so it definitely helps in that kind of weather and condition. the 4wd is nice too for those few rainy days we get here...definitely makes a world of a difference having the 4wd though...i've driven 2wd cars my whole life until now, and wow, can't believe I didn't go 4wd/awd sooner. love it! I'd gladly take the hit on the gas mileage so I can have the 4wd option.

I guess if you're just using the car for commuting around town and it's normally pretty sunny, then it's not really necessary, but if you are willing to spend a little more money up front, I'd say it's definitely worth it. :)
TorGa3iGhT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #254
elementloverrr
2006 *Not an Element owner
Other

im mostly curious about driving through mud. Obviously not thick mud like mud boggin or anything but little trails leading to cool surf spots. And you think FWD would be fine on soft sand?
elementloverrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #255
MiguelATF
2003 *Not an Element owner
Other

Location: Somewhere far from the madding crowd, in a small town in the Pacific Northwest
In Oregon, in the mountains during winter, 4WD isn't totally necessary. Cars do fine with excellent or good snow tires; my semi-ancient VW Golf TDI has gotten through some moderately bad snow and ice conditions on a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks. But when things get really icy or there's heavy snowfall, 4WD gives one an extra level of safety that the best 2WD/FWD vehicles can't quite match.

And that's not to say that 4WD can get you out of everything because it can't, and overconfidence in the powers of one's 4WD or AWD 'rig' has been the downfall of many an otherwise good driver.

So in my admittedly prejudiced opinion, 4WD isn't strictly necessary - but it's totally worth having. Not to mention the added stability in the occasional torrential rain downpours that plague both the Pacific Northwest and northern Calif.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #256
Seijou
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2007 4WD EX MT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
Not to mention the added stability in the occasional torrential rain downpours that plague both the Pacific Northwest and northern Calif.

For the Honda RealTime 4WD system found on Elements, it only kicks in after front wheels spin without traction. It is delayed engagement, not very useful for the rain. I don't think this system will help with stability in the rain unless you are purposely spinning your front wheels from a dead stop (i.e. stop light), and even then I still get traction from the front wheels before the rear wheels engage. This is on asphalt, however. Mud/trails would be different.

Last edited by Seijou; 07-28-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Seijou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #257
tpj147
2003 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via Skype™ to tpj147
I have used my realtime many more times than I can remember. It takes a minute to kick in but it is like a regular 4WD once it comes in. There's trails I've taken my E up that it couldn't have made it without the realtime.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #258
Jam
2004 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

the most fun part of the AWD element is stepping on it from a dead stop in a foot of snow with snow tires and just moving. no bull**** tire spin, just acceleration. its the only time the car feels reasonably quick, lol.
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 PM   #259
Jeffro
2008 4WD EX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Yeah, but if you've got the newer model and you're trying to do a UE to get out of the way of that snowplow coming down the road, make sure you've got the VSA turned OFF!
Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #260
Jam
2004 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Yeah, but if you've got the newer model and you're trying to do a UE to get out of the way of that snowplow coming down the road, make sure you've got the VSA turned OFF!
2004 = none of that bulllllll
Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Shoppin' and Test Drivin'

Tags
2010 , 2wd , 4wd , fwd , snow , winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.