2wd or 4wd in the snow? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous / General Element Discussions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:30 AM   #1
pbrennjr
EOC Rank: Hydrogen

Anyone have experience driving the 2wd in snowy conditions? :)
pbrennjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Element
EOC Rank: Oxygen

I have never driven my E in snow before < got mines in late March > but i'm sure it would be just fine like my Accord. Heck i live in Chicago and we avg 38 inches a year :D

I think the car companies tote out the 4wd to make more money. All the cars i have owned were FWD's with no problems at all. It really depends on the driver driving habits :D
Element is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
spldr
EOC Rank: Helium

Send a message via ICQ to spldr Send a message via AIM to spldr Send a message via MSN to spldr Send a message via Yahoo to spldr
I grew up in an icy and snowy area of Oregon, and I live at 4500 feet here in So. Cal, so I am no stranger to driving in the snow.

I will take a FWD chained car over a 4wd anyday. The key to driving in snow is speed, and thats all. Go slow, no sudden manueuvers like slamming on the brakes etc. This can be easily accomplished by going slow to start with, use your tranny to brake and just take extra precaution.

A 4wd in the hands of a good driver is a fine thing, and much easier than chaining up, no doubt. BUT..most 4wd owners have little snow experience and the 4wd gives them a false sense of security. Even with the 4w traction..you still have to go slow. I see the hiway littered with 4wds every year, but very few chained fwd cars. I call the litter "The invincibles".

I have the 2wd E, I just couldn't justify the extra cost for the 4wd because I know the technique.

Old 10-11-2003, 02:05 PM   #4
Element

I agree with you splder,

i saved $1,200 PLUS TAX!
Element is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2003, 08:07 PM   #5
bluehighways

Send a message via Yahoo to bluehighways
I grew up in Colorado and could not agree more. This is my first AWD ever. I have seeen too many people hop into their explorers and think that they are "King of the mountain"
Lives in Four Corners Area
bluehighways is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2003, 08:19 PM   #6
Kayakin' Dan
EOC Rank: Carbon
2003 2WD DX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Send a message via AIM to Kayakin' Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Kayakin' Dan
We get one or two snowstorms/icestorms a year here. I drive the couch and let the idiots who recently moved here from up North provide news worthy footage on the 6 o'clock news.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
SuperJETT
2003 4WD EX
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Our 2wd CR-V handles snow just fine, so I wouldn't expect any different from the E. I ended up getting the awd E to help with pulling my trailer up slick boat ramps and on a couple of beaches that I tow the trailer on also. Otherwise, not much reason for the awd.

Heck, I had a rwd S-10 with the 4.3 for 7 1/2 years and never had a problem in snow with it either, just use common sense and drive slow and smooth with plenty of distance between you and anything hard.
SuperJETT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #8
jayharley

I went with the 4WD EX. The Real Time system is a fabulous, proven design. You literally have the best of both worlds, for road driving. I live in New England and I now have front wheel drive until the system notices slipping and bingo: I then have automatic hyprid 4 WD.

The idea that some 4WD accidents are caused by drivers who think they are "king of the hill" is strictly a driver mentality issue. Not a mechanical issue.

With proper style and driving technique FWD is fine for most snow conditions. However, unless money is the issue, I cannot see why someone would buy the FWD Element, instead of the 4WD (if you live in a snowy area).
jayharley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2003, 06:39 PM   #9
Kigotai
EOC Rank: Helium
2010 2WD LX AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

The reason I didn't buy AWD is a money thing first, 2ndly, my dealer didn't have a an AWD in the color I wanted in stock, 3rdly, it's just one more thing to fix if it breaks. :wink:
Kigotai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2003, 07:42 PM   #10
damer1

I don't have the annoying sunroof to keep my groceries warm. The rear sunroof is quite silly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous / General Element Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.