Element 4wd = my best snow vehicle ever - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous / General Element Discussions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Bowzer
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protaganis View Post
Best snow vehicle ever. There's nothing like driving around stuck full sized truck with plows. Waving as they look at you, wondering how that tiny SUV can still be out and about when they (the big boys) are stuck.

And for the record:
78 Chevy K-20 swb 4x4
87 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4
87 Chevy K-30 lwb 4x4
03 Element LX AT
(No Jeeps, just couldn't stand the ride... I likes my kidneys where they're at)
Heyyy...Are you implying Jeeps have some kind of rough ride?! (Hang on...okay, had to shift my back since it cramps up ever since having my CJ5 )
The Grand Cherokee went a long way with coil springs to soften things up. It was those oh so frequent visits with my tool set or to the friendly nearby mechanic that broke my heart. And the CJ...well, she may have been rough but she sure was fun.
Member #23,382
238k Miles and Rolling
Lotsa Honda's...Lotsa miles
08 ASM EX AWD AT
Mods to Date: OEM Fogs, Home Depot Grill, Dual Dome Light Operation
Mods to Come: Assorted scratches, scuffs, and hidden french fries
Bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
protaganis
EOC Rank: Carbon
2003 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Don't get me wrong, I love the old Jeeps. CJ -5s and 7s still hold a place in my heart. But once you've driven 1500 miles in a week and not seen but a couple of hours of pavement (fuel stops) you come to love a cushy ride.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
Box Car Willy
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

My other vehicles have included 2 Audi quattros and a Subaru Forester and I can tell you the E is definitely the WORST vehicle in the snow I've owned. I find the "real time" AWD very slow to transfer power to the rear wheels. Thankfully on Van Island there is not a lot of snow to contend with. If I ever move back to a place with real winters, I will have to get something with better AWD, heated seats, heated outside mirrors, and an external temp display.
Box Car Willy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #14
TANJPRL06
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

New tires

Just had 4 new Kumho KR21 tires put on yesterday and nothing will stop my E now. They have an agressive tread that is ideal for all conditions especially snow.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
leftfield6
Premium Member
2006 *Former Element owner
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Car Willy View Post
My other vehicles have included 2 Audi quattros and a Subaru Forester and I can tell you the E is definitely the WORST vehicle in the snow I've owned. I find the "real time" AWD very slow to transfer power to the rear wheels. Thankfully on Van Island there is not a lot of snow to contend with. If I ever move back to a place with real winters, I will have to get something with better AWD, heated seats, heated outside mirrors, and an external temp display.

Hey Box Car Willy, how many miles on your differential fluid? The manual says to change at 60K, but many E drivers,myself included, think it should be every 30K. I know mine was "growling" at 30K. Failing dual pump fluid could be a contributing factor to your delayed rear wheel engagement.

I didn't list it in my list of previous 4wd/AWD vehicles, cause I only owned it for about a year, but I had a 99 Subaru Outback that was horrible in snow, but that could have been the crappy BadYear tires it had. That car was a lemon for many reasons though.

Always lusted for a quattro, VW/Audi supposedly has a great system there. Despite owning many VWs over the years, never had syncro/quattro.

Speaking of syncros, I would LOOOOVE one of these:

Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
worknhard
2009 4WD EX-P AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

I have always had a 4WD vehicle to get me thru the snow here in Colorado. When I got my Element I was a bit skeptical how it would handle by comparison. Much to my surprise, it has performed quite well. Easily plows thru 6-8” of snow… although I’m not sure what it will do in the deep stuff.

For the record:
09 Element EX AT AWD
04 Dodge Ram 4WD
96 Trooper 4WD
85 Bronco 4WD
75 Bronco 4WD
worknhard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
McMars
2003 4WD DX AT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

It's been dumping snow in the Fort now for 2 days . . . and the E is amazing. I was worried since the bridgestones that are on it kind of suck. But it trucks right on through pretty deep stuff like nothin'! Couldn't be happier . . .

78 Jeep Cherokee
2000 Infinity QX4
74 Ford F250 Highboy with 44's

So let's face it . . . they were all good. But nothing beats the F250. Especially with the 460 and 44's. But the upkeep was more than I wanted. And the E just goes where I want when I want and I'm not turning any wrenches . . .
McMars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
spdrcr5
Site Sponsor
2003 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via AIM to spdrcr5
The Element isn't anywhere near the best snow vehicle I've ever owned, but it also isn't the worst. The BEST vehicle I've ever owned and driven in the snow was my Audi TT Quattro... it would run circles around the Element both frontwards and backwards with a flat tire! lol

The Element is lots of fun, but the AWD system is too slow to react in transferring power. The front wheels slip far too easily under power. It isn't my Element, it is the design. My wife has a 2010 CR-V with the exact same issues. It works well enough, just nowhere as good as the Audi systems. I've also driven Subie's and those are just behind the Audi's and also far above the Element.
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
DIG 5050
2011 4WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

My E is a bit slow in the response to FW slippage too. I've got OEM size LTX's with 45K miles on them.

My wife's '08 CRV is much faster with it's response to similar conditions. She has OEM size CrossTerrains with about 22K miles on them. Her CRV seems quite a bit more grippy in the snow.

>> Do any of you who have newer E's have a faster AWD response, more like my wife's '08 CRV? <<

For those of us in the snow areas, better grip might be enough of an incentive to shop for an '11 E before they're all gone.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #20
reno_bk
2005 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

awd e

I have been happy with the AWD system in my E...it's never let me down in the snow and ice, which is all I ask of it since I'm not an "off roader" per se. That being said, I don't think Honda's RT-4WD can hold a candle to Subaru's AWD system -- particularly the permanent 50:50 split of Subie's manual transmission models. I had an Outback and a WRX before this, both with manual transmissions, and the permanently-engaged AWD with a 50:50 split f/r just felt more surefooted in snow and ice...ie: you really couldn't detect ANY wheelspin when accelerating on slick surfaces.

With Honda's system, you definitely feel the front wheels spin before the rear wheels engage...not that it's a big deal, but it's noticeable. One thing about Subaru's system is that it definitely has more of a RWD feel to it than Honda's -- it was incredibly easy to kick the rear end out on slick roads in my Subarus, something that is virtually impossible to do with the Element. I'm not saying this is a BAD thing, but it's a very different feeling. The Element feels alot like our Accord in the snow, only more capable.

For the type of driving I do (snowy highways), I'm completely happy with the Element's AWD and have never once felt like it wasn't going to get me where I needed to go, and that's really all that matters to me.

Brian
reno_bk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous / General Element Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.