Element 4wd = my best snow vehicle ever - Page 3 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous / General Element Discussions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #21
Sam The Element
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD EX-P MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

I would have to agree with most of you in saying that the E is the best all-around everyday 4 wheel drive I have ever owned BUT, I've only been driving for 4 years and the E is my third vehicle. My first car was a honda CRX, not a bad snow car but lacked ground clearance. My other current vehicle besides the E is a 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser which is also a grat 4WD BUT the defrost dont work well, the windows rattle to beat hell, it GUZZLES gas for a hobby, and it doesn't particularly like really cold weather soooooo, I have to go with the E being my favorite (even though I've gotten it stuck twice this winter already, both times I was expecting it to get stuck, I just had to find the E's limit).

I gotta ask leftfield6, what is that vehicle in the picture you posted? I gotta say, it reminds me of the old volkswagon pickups back in the 50's
Sam The Element is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #22
Box Car Willy
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Talking

Folks, I don't mind loyalty but blind loyalty to a friggin car is a bit much. The Element has many great features but like every vehicle has its flaws - and one of them is the crappy "real-time awd" system. Thanks to some of you who have driven Subarus and quattros and have backed me up. The E was designed in California and as such was obviously never meant for winters. The lack of heated outside mirrors, heated seats and an external temp display (finally in 2009) clearly show this.
Box Car Willy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #23
lizzurd
Moderator Eh?
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Car Willy View Post
Folks, I don't mind loyalty but blind loyalty to a friggin car is a bit much. The Element has many great features but like every vehicle has its flaws - and one of them is the crappy "real-time awd" system. Thanks to some of you who have driven Subarus and quattros and have backed me up. The E was designed in California and as such was obviously never meant for winters. The lack of heated outside mirrors, heated seats and an external temp display (finally in 2009) clearly show this.

My last Accord had heated mirrors, heated seats and an external temop display.....I guess it was meant for winter driving.

I am sorry but that statement does not cut it.....Buy this logic my front wheel drive Accord is a better winter vehicle then my E with real time 4wd but none of the above features you deem neccessary.
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #24
presto88
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
The E was designed in California and as such was obviously never meant for winters. The lack of heated outside mirrors, heated seats and an external temp display (finally in 2009) clearly show this.
I believe the main reason that the E doesn't have these features is that they wanted to keep the price down. That's why the windows in the back doors don't roll up/down, and there isn't a door-lock-switch on the passenger door (a switch that would lock/unlock all of the doors). Along with a number of other missing features, these (and the features you mentioned) are all things that Honda is perfectly capable of putting on cars - they do it to other models all the time! Mine was purchased new for less than 20 grand back in '05. That's an EX with an automatic tranny and 4wd. It really is an inexpensive car.

BTW, I think the E runs like a champ in the snow, but my best "snow car" ever was my first Honda - a '78 Civic with four studded snow tires on those little 12" wheels. I was living in Utah at the time and that car never once even came close to getting stuck. I've always thought that the fact that car was so light had something to do with it....
presto88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #25
helcaraxe
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2010 4WD EX AT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

Send a message via AIM to helcaraxe
The Element -IS- the best snow vehicle I've ever driven. The stability and ability in snow is unmatched. Also, and I know this is stupid to most snow-drivers here, but one reason many people don't get a good (sometimes terrible) ride from their RT-4WD system in snow is........... They don't know you have to turn OFF the traction control. I'm serious, nearly half the people I know who drive a 4wd/awd vehicle don't know that traction control should be off in the snow.

And for the record, I am a veteran of 4wd vehicles. The Element is, by far, the best handling in snow. Previous 4x4 vehicles:

2005 Ford F250 FX4, 4x4 (lifted, 37" tires)
1977 Ford F150 4x4, (lifted, 35" tires) *still own*
2000 Ford Explorer 4x4
1995 Ford Explorer 4x4
1987 Dodge Ram 4x4

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -Carl Sagan

Mods: Gobi Stealth Roof Rack, Wheelskins custom leather steering wheel cover, Weathertech Floormats, 17" Konig Runaway Shadow Black Wheels, 235-60-17 Toyo Open Country A/T Tires, Front windows tinted, Taillights tinted, Removed rear H
helcaraxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #26
leftfield6
Premium Member
2006 *Former Element owner
Other

Quote:

BCW, you have your OPINION, and other differ. No biggie. I certainly have no "blind brand loyalty", I have three vehicles (besides my wife's car) and only one of them is a Honda. I do have Honda motorcycle, but that's a completely different "brand" in itself.

Fact is, none of those features you mentioned makes a car a better snow vehicle. It may make them more comfortable, but I didn't buy an E for comfort or luxury. I've driven a Subaru before. I came away less impressed than you. But, as I said before that may have been tire related. Tires make a huge difference in how sure footed a vehicle feels in the snow.

Maybe your E does, but my E does not have a "crappy" real time AWD, mine has a nicely functioning Real Time 4WD.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #27
leftfield6
Premium Member
2006 *Former Element owner
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam The Element View Post
I gotta ask leftfield6, what is that vehicle in the picture you posted? I gotta say, it reminds me of the old volkswagon pickups back in the 50's
It's a VW Transporter Doka. Made on the Vanagon platform, available with the syncro 4WD system. Never imported to the US, fairly common in Europe, some were shipped to Canada. Now that the 1986 models and older are 25 or more years old, they are getting easier to import to the US.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #28
hiker chick
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Quote:

Perspectives vary.

Prior to the E I had only owned Miatas and a '69 Mustang.

Compared to those, the Element is a Sno-Cat.

Heated outside mirrors, heated seats and external temp display are nice fluff, not necessities. I would like heated seats, but the Element has always been about basic elements, not luxury options that push the base price up.

Some pics at the link below of my Element plowing through 14" in 2006:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...nowshoe&page=2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hiker chick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #29
becker57
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

I think the element handles great on snow roads. I live in Northern Michigan along lake michigan so we get a lot of lake effect snow. I did replace the tires this year with some BFG's Long Trail and they handle well. No slipping on start outs. I did drive my husbands 07 accord the other day and I thought that was squirly but it all comes down to what you are use to.
becker57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #30
EL-MT
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 4WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Still love every snow day we get here in MT because of my E. I get called out at 3 AM to go plow snow (not with the E) and love driving through the snow and ice.

That said, I think the biggest factor that is being ignored here is TIRES. You can't have Michelin LTX M/S on an Audi or Subi. But you can get amazing Torsen type diffs.

Yakima rack w/58" bar, fairing, gunwale brackets, Tow hitch/harness, cargo mat, heavy duty floor mats, Michelin LTX M/S tires, privacy curtain, Realtime AWD decal, EOC decal, Element seat covers
EL-MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous / General Element Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.