Honda Element Owners Club banner

Off-road Element build

120K views 96 replies 35 participants last post by  Alien 
#1 ·
Not going to give specs or anything as of yet.
My Element started out completely stock and I slowly built it up as a tuner style Element. Mods were Tein coilovers, Skunk2 lca, Cloudrider grille, and a couple sets of 18'' rims with high performance tires.

Then I decided to take it in a different direction so in the next month or so I will be posting my progression. Just want to be able to do a little off-road driving and take it camping out on my parents farm and other areas.

Hope you are all looking forward to seeing the progression as much as I am. Stoked!

Here's the current state:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, everything is getting sold off to fund the project. I've already sold the wheels off, still have the tires and the suspension will be up for sale in a couple weeks. New shocks are on their way!

I still love the tuner scene and can't wait to get another car to set it up as a tuner!

#8 ·
I'd consider going with a 15" rim with taller knobby tires. Another member also painted his panels with black bedliner and it looked pretty cool. Albeit he had a NBP Element to start with. Black panels would be neat with the SOP.

#15 ·
I have thought about this. If I was going to do a tuner I would buy a really high mileage 2wd '03 DX. Rebuilt and turbo the motor, go all the way down on coilovers, BBK, and brace the hell out of the inside to make it more rigid. Along with custom paint and body work. That may be down the road.

what are you going to do to it? tires and wheels......
I wish there was a lift that gave 3 or 4 inches that didnt chew up parts
and a way to not have the gas tank where it is
and have a true 4x4 system

gotta love the E though, just keep it chill off road

good luck with the build, hope it goes well.

I just put some BFG's AT on my E and it helps with some light 4x4 fire road driving
Tire and wheels are in the works along with other off-road/camping worthy goodies. Stay tuned! If my parts EVER show up I will let you guys in the loop. Right now just waiting...........:-(

#14 ·
what are you going to do to it? tires and wheels......
I wish there was a lift that gave 3 or 4 inches that didnt chew up parts
and a way to not have the gas tank where it is
and have a true 4x4 system

gotta love the E though, just keep it chill off road

good luck with the build, hope it goes well.

I just put some BFG's AT on my E and it helps with some light 4x4 fire road driving

#17 ·
I think he is just accessorizing in a more rugged fashion, changing the look for a new vehicle feel instead of rolling out and getting a new vehicle. Kinda like a makeover. Sounds like its reality show worthy.

#23 ·
If you lift it do not use the CCM lift unless you like to change CV boots and like a wandering steering during hard acceleration. If it was a inch lower it would work great.

#63 ·
He is aware of the problems, reason why I went to San Luis Obispo and let him do the install. There will not be any deterioration of the CV boots. I do not feel any wandering, with also new struts and dropping tire pressure to about 20 it does great off road.

Pretty much done!

#24 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I have heard of the issues and if I were to do a lift was going to go with a Sparman style lift. As far as I know none of the guys that have done it have ran into any issues.

Thinking stock height will be fine for the time being unless I run into any rubbing issues with the tires.

#25 ·
Was just on the beach this week and ran through some deep sand with my stock height and 235/70 16's. No rubbing and plowed through deep enough stuff that 2wd pickups were needing help to get out of. (Even noted a comment of "Holy S*%^, How is he making it through that?" as I pushed past one guy hooking up a tow rope. Stealth capabilities...love it. 8)

#26 ·
I like the "rugged" look too, that the direction I have went with mine. I am currently running 235/65/17 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's, Motegi SP5 in gunmetal (close to matching panel color). The wheel/tire combo raised the E about an inch on their own. I then add the full brushguard with 5" lights. I think I will be adding the rear light guards and some sidesteps next. I will be watching your build.

#28 ·
I don't have any good pics, but I have some when I had it in the shop putting stuff together. I sometimes look at it and want to put bigger lights on it, LOL. I have since painted all the silver hardware on the brush guard.

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks man, I appreciate it. The E looks great as is, it's just personal touch stuff :-D I struggled with wheel size because of tire options for a while also. I really wanted raised white letter tires (I know, but it's the old skool in me) but I wanted meaty tires also. I had given up on the RWL and was going to order The Geolanders in a 225/65/17 but when I called my contact at Tire Rack, he told me (off the record, of course) that he thought the 235/65/17 would fit, so I opted to go with the Bridgestone's. They rubbed on tight turns at first. You couldn't hear it, but you could see where they would make contact. That might have lasted for a couple days, then it just wore enough of the plastic away to stop.. and I am talking hairs, lol. The wheels, are actually a set of 4 rear wheels that would come in a staggered set. The rears are not supposed to work on the front, but they do and they only clear the calipers by hairs also. Some people like the look and some don't, in the end, you only have to please yourself.

I still have a bit of 'tuner' left in me (note the 240sx in the background) but I just feel more like working on the E, my camper and now my Honda Shadow more than that. It's been on the back burner for some time now. I keep thinking I might sell it, but I have sooo much into that I will never get back that it makes it hard. :|

#32 ·
Nismo, the E looks good. Don't sell the 240! I sold my s13 a few years ago for a boat and while I love the boat, I do miss the 240 on those beautiful days when the road is clear and the sun is shining.

If you ever do think of selling it let me know. I may be able to talk the wife into letting me get one again.:roll:

#33 ·
Trust me, I know I would regret letting it go, however, I believe if I can get the right number, I would let it go. The problem is, I don't believe I can get that number, especially with some assembly required. :grin: I do have a buddy that wants to trade me his supercharged new beetle for it.... I don't think so.

#35 ·
So, like most projects, things change and go a little bit slower than anticipated. So I know have my wheels and tires, mounted and balanced, in hand almost ready to install. They would be on except the wheel shop and I decided they may rub on the strut. I will update tomarrow with a pic or two of the package either as a teaser or installed. It depends on if I end up with the last parts I need today. At that time I will let everyone know the rest of the details on the mini build. Should be wicked when done and hopefully as functional as it is aesthetic.

So here is a pic I just took of the current, stockish platform.

Mods are custom exhaust, Injen sr intake, and some stereo upgrades. That's it for now!

Attachments

#36 ·
Looks good, I too am building a SOP '03 for offroad. If you check out my videos and pics you'll see the E doing a little hill climbing ;-)

I've got some better hill to hit in the next few weekends I plan on updating it, just haven't had time off school in a bit. But I'm in for more pics of your build.

#41 ·
Need any ideas, or help from afar?
I hate to say it, but my E is going to end up looking a lot like yours, Josh. I ordered a Brockoli bar and I plan on blacking out my headlights like yours also. My wheels, although 18's are of similar color. I have thought about doing the lift and decided against it for the time being. I did kept my camber kits though, just in case.

Thought I was going to have some good teaser photos for everyone but things didn't turn out as planned. My extended studs didn't show but as UPS had planned, and I ended up working today. So......gotta wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.