Honda Element Owners Club banner

North to Freedom for a Small Saint?

6K views 71 replies 15 participants last post by  bh241 
#1 ·
Looking for some help in getting Dexter, a six month old Saint Bernard, transported from North Carolina to New Hampshire. He was just pulled from a kill shelter down here and is presently receiving vet care for the embedded collar. He should have all his vet work and medical paperwork in order sometime next week.

Looking to move him to Rescue asap - maybe the weekend of the 24th?

Would love to get another EOC Rescue transport going like we did for Captain. Any Interest?

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Dexter
(he'll be a lot cleaner than this)

See less See more
#37 ·
Benny, thank you for all that you do for the pups! If you want to drop by the mod meet to grab a bite to eat you are more than welcome! Its a little out of your way on the way back off the interstate in the Greensboro area. Check out the thread on the Mid South section. :)

#39 ·
drop by the mod meet to grab a bite to eat
I may just do that - thanks

bring some CW anyway:grin:
CW bottles are best, cans almost as good, 2 liter is OK, but it loses something by the second or third glass. - weird, but true.

So how much? last I looked 12packs were right at $4.00

#40 ·
Benny we're all set up on the north end, I'm meeting MoonDrop Sunday morning @ 8:30 then off to Vernon Ct to meet up with Patty/Dom by 1pm

#41 ·
Then we're all good to go. :)

I hope everyone has a lot of fun with this, and certainly hope to see some pictures posted here. I would like to get some to go on the rescue's website too.

I'm picking Dexter up from the vet after work today, he's officially cleared to travel.

I will have a 'package' of paperwork that MUST accompany Dexter the entire trip, this will contain his health certificate and all related medical paperwork, rabies vaccination certificate and stuff like that.

I'll also be sending a small bag of food, a couple of bowls, a handful of treats, and of course a collar and name-tag. The tag will have my name, address, and phone number on it please make sure it stays attached to Dexter's collar the entire trip - Lord knows we don't want to lose him somewhere along the way.

I would recommend stopping at least every hour and a half or two hours to let Dexter 'enjoy the beautiful scenery' - if you catch my drift... ;-) For those that don't be thankful the E really is easy to clean out...

Speaking of cleaning out, yes, he's clean, but he is going to leave behind 'reminders' that he's been there - hopefully only dog hair, a bit of drool, and happy memories.

If anyone has any problem at all please contact me - not that I can really do anything I don't guess, but hey at least together we can figure out what to do.

As always, E-ple rock plain and simple, I've never been able to pull something like this together as easy, fast, or without worry. Thanks to all of you for helping Dexter get into rescue and be one step closer to having a real home. :grin:

#43 ·
Dexter is resting well, he's here with me now. He wasn't the best at getting in the E, but honestly he wasn't near the worst I've seen either. I'm just glad he's small enough to pick up and put in the E....

This aught to be fun, of course by the time he gets up north he'll probably do much better.... :roll:

Dog Canidae Sporting Group Car English springer spaniel

Dexter, enjoying the ride...

#44 ·
Fabulous weather today so I cleaned the pollen off & my black E looks black again. :grin: Took out the seats, put down a couple of blankets for Dexter, packed a couple of leashes & a bag of drool towels. Did I miss anything. :lol:

Everyone have a safe trip.

Gaily

#45 ·
Ready at the half way point

The family is looking forward to meeting Dex, and I, as well as other friends are rootin for him. I'm thinkin about eatin Chesapeake Oysters before pickin up Dexter in Havre De Grace MD.Woohoo. Anyone wanna meet up?

Hey there DC Box, How far do you think or how long to Baltimore or Maryland House if you pick up Dex at 10:30 in Petersburg. Four or five hours? I'm 2 hours to Maryland House. Sunday, I'm 2 1/2 hours to Gaily. Nice split trip.

#46 ·
The family is looking forward to meeting Dex, and I, as well as other friends are rootin for him. I'm thinkin about eatin Chesapeake Oysters before pickin up Dexter in Havre De Grace MD.Woohoo. Anyone wanna meet up?

Hey there DC Box, How far do you think or how long to Baltimore or Maryland House if you pick up Dex at 10:30 in Petersburg. Four or five hours? I'm 2 hours to Maryland House. Sunday, I'm 2 1/2 hours to Gaily. Nice split trip.
I'm about to roll now, it will take 3 1/2 hours after I leave Petersburg I'll call you in an hour or so when I start back.

#48 ·
Benny just posted this update on Facebook ::

Benny is heading home, Dexter is continuing his journey North. I should make it back home by supper time. It's been a day well spent.

Thanks Benny

Dom

#50 ·
I'm in South Hill, Va on the way home. Thanks Dom for updating everyone, All I had to post with was the phone till I could stop and use the laptop.

Dexter was a pleasure to travel with. He rode well after his initial 'reaction' yesterday afternoon. I met with Gary pretty much on schedule, and of course we talked a while... so he got behind schedule. :roll:

Anyway, gotta get back on the road and get home. I'll post a picture of two when I get back home.

Thanks again E-ple are great!

#51 ·
Couple of Pics

Dexter, Benny, Courtney, and myself.
Dexter, Moondrop (kneeling) ,friend whose name I forgot ,and myself.Dexter was a great ride-along most of the time he sat up by me to look out the front, and was friendly towards folks at the rest stop. You will enjoy traveling with him.:)

Attachments

#52 ·
I'm home, I just wanted to thank everyone for their help today. I enjoyed the chance to talk with DCBox and turn another needful soul over to his care. :)

I have spoken on the phone with MoonDrop and Dexter is safely home with him tonight, So day one is done without incident. that's great.

As promised - pictures:

Dog Canidae Vehicle Transport Carnivore

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Carnivore

(Laceymack61's E in the background)

#53 ·
Settling in

Dexter arrived outside of Phily at around 5:pm. Had his pill and ate his dinner. He is tired and when you think a Saint Bernards eyes can't droop any further, he looks as though he could sleep for a week. He is very friendly and loves to meet everyone. He only barks when there is a big dog around and couldn't care less about the little ones. Although he did prick his ears up and trotted after a passing FEMALE chihuahua. He slept most of the way north but woke up when we traveled pass the mushroom farms of Kennett Square, PA. The sweet smell of manure:grin: Everythings all good and i'll set my alarm to meet Gaily at 8:30 up in Jersey. I'll try to get pics up tonight but as most e'pl know, I'm not good at it. Till later, MoonDrop

#55 ·
MoonDrop I'll be heading out around 7. The drive is an hour + but with the weather don't want to be late. Camera batteries are all charged up can't wait.

Gaily

#61 ·
Heading out in a bit wish it's wasn't raining but so far traffic looks good for me. Stopping at Jurns on the way home for a break & to post pics.

Gaily

#62 ·
I just heard from Gaily, she has Dexter and is continuing North. The weather is dicey - rainy So be careful!

Not sure why, but when she called my phone never rang - glad she left a voice mail! (the joys of verizon wireless I guess)

#63 ·
Am PICS abd NJ Transfer

He made himself at home by this morning. Woke up and found him on the couch. NJ transfer was smooth despite turnpike closures and rain. Good luck Gaily and safe travels. Moondrop

Attachments

#64 ·
Weather sucked most of the way, also got stuck in traffic for about 10 minutes just before getting into CT on I95 & Dexter was a great passenger. Most of the time he layed down then would get up to site see & visit with me. He's now with Patty/Dom having a great time. He's such a loving dog hope he finds a good home. Hanging at Jurns for a while then heading home.

Getting ready to head out again, Dexter napped while we had a tailgate lunch, ok Patty I'm ready to go.:grin:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.