Honda Element Owners Club banner

North to Freedom for a Small Saint?

6K views 71 replies 15 participants last post by  bh241 
#1 ·
Looking for some help in getting Dexter, a six month old Saint Bernard, transported from North Carolina to New Hampshire. He was just pulled from a kill shelter down here and is presently receiving vet care for the embedded collar. He should have all his vet work and medical paperwork in order sometime next week.

Looking to move him to Rescue asap - maybe the weekend of the 24th?

Would love to get another EOC Rescue transport going like we did for Captain. Any Interest?

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Dexter
(he'll be a lot cleaner than this)

See less See more
#67 ·
Dexter is has arrived at his final destination.

Here are some Photo's of the hand off from Gail to us.

The first two photo's are of Patty, Gail and Dexter! ( Dexter is the short one ! ) Mammal Dog Canidae Vehicle Car

Dog Vehicle Canidae Car Transport

The next three are of Dexter, Gail and I.

This dog is just fantastic. Walked him around with a loose lead. No pulling, barking, or other forms of Ill behavior. Loves riding in the E !!

Thanks to all that helped with this!

Benny, if you have another one to do, and we can help, Just ask.

Dom

Attachments

#68 ·
I just received the following from the rescue:

Well, the little traveler arrived a few hours ago and has made himself right at home. He walked in, scoped out a dog bed, circled a couple of times, plunked down, and looked around as if to say "Okay, this'll do. Bring me a cookie please." After a short nap he awoke and went outside to "take care of business", then met a couple of the other residents.

He's an absolutely wonderful little fellow -- and SO gentle -- and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to help him blossom.

I enjoyed meeting Patty and Dominic and wish I could thank every one of Dexter's chauffeurs in person. You and your friends made his relocation possible. Please express my heartfelt thanks to the wonderful, bighearted doglovers in your car club who helped this sweet boy on his journey to his forever home.

Will get some pictures off to you in the next few days.
I can't begin to thank every one involved - without you is simply would not have happened.

I'm proud to even associate with you E-ple. :)

#69 ·
Anytime

Benny- It was a pleasure to help out and all of the pieces of the puzzle fell into place at the right time. It was meant to be. If you need help again, don't hesitate to ask. We didn't just help Dexter we helped ourselves and a whole lot of other folks. Things happen like this for a reason..........until next time, MoonDrop

#70 ·
Your welcome Benny, had a blast & anytime I can will help out.

Gaily

#71 ·
AWESOME

having this happen once (for Captain) is wonderful, having this group do it twice is just a very very special thing
Congrats to all who made it possible
He looked like a sweetie

#72 ·
Time for an update.

Several have asked about Dexter since his 'Wild Ride', and I've replied privately until now. It's way past time to get this boy updated.

It's shouldn't be any surprise to anyone involved in transporting Dexter that he has some issues of 'tender spots' as well as the issue with his embedded collar. While the embedded collar is all healed up it turns out the other areas are a condition he has had since birth. It causes loss of hair and tenderness in patches. The rescue has been treating this condition and working with Dexter on becoming a model Saint - not that he really had that far to go in the behavior area. :)

Anyway, directly from the rescue:

His skin infections respond to antibiotics (which, of course, he HATES taking because they taste like crap and upset his stomach - then he doesn't eat) . Then the infections quickly flair back up once the antibiotics are finished.

He gets medicated baths twice a week to control the yeast that's growing all over him and to soothe him when the skin infections flare up.

I've had him to a dermatologist at two of the bigger veterinary hospitals in the area and they just scratch their heads. He's probably a dog with a severely and permanently compromised immune system and he'll require constant monitoring and ongoing treatment. But he's just so darned cute and appealing and SWEET (though he's dumber than dirt). I don't see him leaving here.
Don't fret though, it's been my experience that every 'tough case' is 'never leaving' rescue - till that perfect family comes along. Dexter won't be any different - he'll get his family, it's just going to take a while. The rescue simply will not clear him for adoption until the skin condition is cleared. It's just a matter of time - he's in good hands. You have my word on that.

Pictures of Dexter taken today, Aug. 17, 2010

He's not available for adoption - yet - but in case anyone is interested in adopting Dexter or another of the rescue Saints - feel free to fill out the online adoption application - New England Saint Bernard Rescue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.