Honda Element Owners Club banner

Realted Issues? Serpentine/Shifting

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Skarekrough 
#1 ·
So, last weekend I was getting an oil change and once again they noted that the serpentine belt was worn and should probable be replaced. With two kids in the car with me they preyed on my instincts and I conceded to the tune of $100 to let them do it.

So, Christmas Day I'm making the hour-long drive to my folks place when I notice smoke behind me. I keep watching and about ten minutes later it happens again; a large emission of white smoke from the back of my car.

Awhile later the car jerks a bit and acceleration stops for a second or two.

I manage to make the trip to my destination. At random intervals it just seems like acceleration would stop. The engine would run fine with no revving. However for a second or two it would just not have any push. Th transmission light also went on (yellow).

I got a loaner car for the ride home as I didn't want to risk trying to get a tow truck on Christmas night with two kids and my wife.

The only thing that has been changed on the vehicle was the oil and the serpentine belt. And since it was a chain-store I'm naturally a little suspicious.

The vehicle is a standard (2004) and has been rock-solid since I bought it five years ago.

Could there be any connection between the two events? Any idea what is happening?

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

See less See more
#2 ·
I could be wrong her but is sounds like when they changed the belt, they messed the timing up.

#5 ·
Element serpentine belt =/= timing belt from older Civics and other cars with timing belts.

Personally I kind of liked the 3 belts for 3 different things setup. AC belt goes bad, you can still drive the car. PS belt goes....same thing. Alternator belt rips...drive until your battery is dead.

On the Element, if that big belt goes, there goes your alternator, AC, PS and most importantly your water pump.

Anyway, to address the OP, check your oil level. The only person I trust to put in the right amount of oil during an oil change is ME. I don't care how many certifications a grease monkey has.....they all get complacent and forget things.

Check the coolant level as well to see if you're losing any.

Do all the normal checks. Plugs, wires...make sure they're in good shape and seated properly.

Hook a code reader up to the car and check for any stored codes. You might get lucky and the car will tell you what's wrong. Good luck on your quest.

#9 ·
I got some answers so I figured I would post.

Dropped it off at the shop this morning with a lump in my throat. I'm a Veteran of new transmissions and it never goes well.

A few hours later I got a call I never expected to get.

When they replaced the serpentine belt they were less than "gentle" or precise and managed to knock off, jiggle or move two hoses in that area. As it was explained to me, when it got hot it would expand and the results were as I described.

I haven't had a chance to test it fully, and unfortunately I won't be able to until this weekend. However it seems like a plausible enough reason.

#13 ·
So, I feel I should follow up on this....

In early April I took the Element to a noted local transmission place. I explained the issue and they were quite good about listening and noting.

They checked it out and could not duplicate the issue.

Slowly over the past few weeks I have been driving for longer distances at a lower speed (never over 60) wondering if it is a heat-related issue and that not going 65 or 70 would be enough to just not have it happen again.

Sure enough it has not occurred again.

This past weekend I took it on a trip from the North Shore of Massachusetts to the Cape; a two-hour drive, twice as long as when I first had an issue.

It drove fine.

On the way back I kicked it up to 65 for the last ten minutes or so thinking that if it was hot then this would certainly do it.

Nothing. Ran like a champ.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe it had something to do with the fuel. That's really the only thing that had changed majorly which might produce at least one aspect of the issue; a backfire with some smoke from the rear.

I'm still kinda stumped on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.