Honda Element Owners Club banner

Service Bulletin 08-053 (SAFETY RECALL for '08 Elements)

28K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Honda Tech 
#1 ·
Text Font Line Document Parallel

Affected owners will be contacted by phone directly from American Honda

See less See more
#3 ·
Probably had one or two come in, a tech reports it to tech line, couple more, maybe a Honda Service Rep looks at one. Honda puts out a - send pictures, or if it's really serious - don't affect repairs until Service rep looks at it.

Determine the scope of the problem by sending out a - inspect all "e's" or determine a lot number problem.

Probably just enough road travel to become evident.

#5 ·
Suspension Recall on 2008 Elements

Saw this story at Autoblog.com and thought I should post it:

Link

Small recall for big suspension issue on 2008 Honda Element
Posted Aug 19th 2008 2:27PM by Michael Harley
Filed under: SUVs, Recalls/TSBs, Safety, Honda, Holden

All owners of 2008 Honda Elements are being asked to stop driving their cars until they have had them inspected at their local Honda dealer. According to a recall issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the front bushing bracket of the left trailing arm of the rear suspension may have been improperly welded. If it fails, it could separate from the trailing arm causing the suspension to release part of the wheel hub, thus leading to a loss of control or crash. Although only 241 Elements are potentially affected (there are specific VIN number ranges during certain production dates), Honda is notifying all owners immediately and will inspect and replace defective parts at no charge. Rather than taking a risk, err on the side of safety and call your Honda dealer if you've got the keys to a 2008 Element in your pocket.

#8 ·
Saw this story at Autoblog.com and thought I should post it:

Link
The article has been updated, the first line is crossed through and this update is posted:
UPDATE: According to Honda spokesman Chris Martin all the affected owners were already notified before this story was published. Approximately half of the affected vehicles were unsold and sitting on dealer lots. Those have already been repaired. If you haven't already heard from Honda than you should be fine.

#9 ·
wow... I missed it by 1000. Yikes.:D
It wouldn't be a bad thing to check yours out underneath anyway. Mine was outside the range listed but I'm convinced that the dealership must've thought otherwise because someone had the rear suspension apart on my showroom new E before I bought it and never put all of the parts back together. Not being familiar with how it ought to handle, I was driving around with no rear shocks attached to the arms for a while and grumping at the bouncy ride.

#12 ·
For Bunt

MY picture, but it is virtually identical to the picture provided in the actual bulletin. The bulletin picture has arrows pointing to the silicone with the words "continuous bead"
Step 14 of the service bulletin. I have emphasized the second bulleted item
14. Inspect the cap installation:
• The cap should fit squarely on the plug, flush to
the modulator body.
Make sure there’s a continuous bead of silicone
sealant around the cap.

• If any sealant runs from the cap, wipe off the run,
but do not wipe off the cap.
• If the sealant gets on any other parts, wipe it off
immediately.

Who to contact if you experience problems.
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from
your Honda dealer, you may write to:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
If you believe that American Honda or the dealer has
failed or is unable to remedy the defect in your vehicle,
without charge, within a reasonable period of time (60
days from the date you first contact the dealer for a repair
appointment), you may submit a complaint to:
Administrator
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20590
Or call the toll-free Safety Hotline at
888-327-4236 (TTY 800-424-9153), or go to
http://www.safercar.gov.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.