Honda Element Owners Club banner

popping noise from suspension every morning?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ramblerdan 
#1 ·
Hey guys

About the 3rd week with my element now. Not really new to car suspensions, but I am stumped as to what this could be.

Every morning when I get in the car and drive off, the first time I hit the brakes I hear a popping noise from underneath the car. One time only, it never occurs again. It seems like the weight transfer from the front to the rear during braking causes something to unload / pop.

At first I thought I could maybe be the e-brake cable releasing again, but it sounds like its coming more from the front.

Anyone know what this could be? I thought I could maybe be a balljoint, but it never happens again.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I just replaced both my front & rear sway bar links, due to some "clunking" in the front end, albeit the "clunking" was occuring much more than one time in the morning.

This helped cut down on the noise, but didn't solve it ...

The big break-through was "fixing" the rubber sway bar mounting blocks ...
I know - I know, these blocks are cheap ($5 - $8 ea.), but just gotta see if I can stretch out the life of a part to its max ...

I removed the block mounting straps (used plenty of penitrating oil, and let it soak in, and still broke one off).
The mounting block rubber is split, so it comes off really easy, once the strap is off.
Then I wrapped approx. 5-turns worth of vinyl electrical tape around the sway bar, then put the rubber back on - covering the electrical tape wrap.
I could tell right away that it was doing something, as the steel strap clamp started to get really tight, when re-assembling it ...

Now, no more rattles, squeaks, or clunks ...
30-minutes of time and $0.50 worth of tape ... Now that's a cheap fix with great results ...

I will be ordering my sway bar mounting blocks soon, as I know the tape will not last forever, but I just want to see how long it will last ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.