Honda Element Owners Club banner

Popping sound from front end

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Klar1ty 
#1 ·
My Element has been making a popping sound every time I turn sharply, or hit a bump. I've checked out everything I've thought it could be, but I have no idea what to look for. It seems like it happens more commonly at slow speeds than at fast speeds. The popping sound is coming from the front end of the car, and I'm almost certain it's coming from the left side, but it's hard to tell for sure. Any help on this problem of would be appreciated, as this is easily the single most annoying issue with my Element I've had.

Thanks,
- Trevor

#3 · (Edited)
Trevor, ploeg8393 may be right, but if this happens consistently when your front end "sways", i.e. the front end abruptly rotates along the long axis of your E relative to the road, it is more likely to be your E's front stabilizer (bar) links. I heard clunking whenever I went over bumps, and it was my worn out stabilizer links. It was quite pronounced when I was approaching 200,000 km, but was there to a lesser degree well before then and just got worse bit by bit over time. If they have never been replaced on your 2004 E, and you have a lot of km's on your E, e.g. well over 160,000 km (100,000 mi), then they are likely due, or soon to be due, for replacement anyways. What's your odometer reading? If you get the front end off the ground you can check the links for wear and a clunking noise, but it is easier to check with your E up on a hoist from underneath. If they are the culprit, there are numerous threads on their replacement (including one of my own) in the FAQ /How To's section. As a bonus, the OEM links are inexpensive parts and relatively simple to replace so if you are a DIYer you are in luck. You can get the parts ordered online and shipped to your door from HandA accessories because you live in the US. I also replaced the stabilizer bar bushings at the same time I replaced the links, but this is not necessarily required. If you do replace the bushings, you should coat the inner surfaces of these rubber bushings with silicone grease, which is available through HandA as well. Good luck. Let us know how things work out and what the problem was. Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.