Honda Element Owners Club banner

How many miles did your Rear Brakes last?

Rear brakes again.....

9K views 55 replies 37 participants last post by  Mr Tyre 
#1 ·
I love everything about the Element except for the rear brakes. I owned an 2003 and the brakes went at around 30,000 then at 52,000. Now i own a 2007 with 21,000 and the rear brakes are gone. The fronts are fine. I really think this is a design flaw. I know of a couple of other Element owners that have had the same problem with the rear brakes. If you have had a problem with your rear brakes please post and the mileage when they were gone. I am serious thinking of trying to possibly get a class action suit started if I can get enough ppl with the same results. Lets just say that I am a little pissed off!!!!:mad:

#6 ·
Brother is right about the hand brake. Entirely separate system from the rear mains.

Enough owners have reported premature rear brake wear that there must be something to it. Variability in pad composition, perhaps.

(Full disclosure: My factory rear pads are still good at 89K.)

Good idea for a poll.

#7 ·
I just bought a new set of brakes, and took them to my mechanic to put on after ai felt a slight a tugging when braking.

When he took my old brakes off he said they were still very good, I had a slight mar in one of my rotors. My E is fixing to hit 80,000. He went ahead and put on the new brakes, so don't really know how long the old ones would have lasted.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#10 ·
I'm at 45,000 miles now, and I haven't replaced either set of brakes yet. At my last oil change and inspection, they said I still had plenty of life in both. That's a bummer about your brakes. It sounds like something isn't set up right, as front brakes usually have a shorter life than the back ones do. :-(

#12 ·
I think it might just be a Honda trait, under hard driving. My Ridgeline and my ex's CRV both needed rear brakes around 30k miles. Lets see what happens with the Element, currently only at 14k so time will tell.

#14 ·
I have an 04' with 38k miles. Approx. 14 months ago I had to replace the right rear only. It was almost down to the rivets. It struck me as odd because I've never had to change out rear pads. Now, just this week they're making a grinding noise again. I'm going to take a look at it tonight.

#18 ·
I just did a search in the maintenance section on 'rear brakes'. A lot of subjects came up with the same issue. Looks like most of the time the issue was resolved by lubricating the caliper rails and ears. What happens is that the rails and ears get gummed up and the caliper cannot return to a neutral position. Thus premature wear on the pads.

#19 ·
Update:

I talked to my local Honda dealer today about my rear brakes. I informed them of my rear brake problem and was told by them that it is an environmental problem and not a mechanical problem. Blaming it on rust etc build up. They said they have authorization to replace them for free up to 24,000 miles. ( I told him prior that I have 22k on my E). He said they are advising their customers that twice a year (once in the fall and once in the spring) the brakes should be taking apart and cleaned. It should be interesting to get their response in person to some of the questions I have such as there is no mention to this in my owners manual. Plus, you are telling me I need to have them taking apart twice a year well, is Honda going to pay for it since this is not normal for a proper braking system. It should be interesting, I will post again the results of my appt Thursday afternoon.

#20 ·
Could be all those hills near Placid :rolleyes:.
44K on my originals. Checked for wear a few weeks back during an oil change and there's plenty of pad left.

#21 ·
I just checked mine near 70000 and the front is at 60% and the rears are almost still new. It does depend on where you live, salt on the road ect but they shouldn't have to be taken apart every 6 months to get the sliders lubed. Use synthetic grease and I have had good luck with that when I did brakes.

#23 ·
Just replaced at 31,000 miles

Mine just went and sounded really bad with only one day notice.
They started barley making a sound, I only remember this 1st day, because the very next day they were grinding worst then I've ever herd any car I've owned, so I stopped everything I was doing and took it in to my shop and had it inspected.
They replaced the rear brakes and it's back to the Detroit streets.

Detroit Tank

#24 ·
I just did the rears on Patty's 05 E today. The left side outside pad was down to the steel. I got to it just in time. No scoring on the rotors.

The E has 34168 miles on it.

Mine has 38120 on it and the pads look fine. Mine is an 06.

Dom

#26 ·
My local dealer replaced the rear pads and rotors under warranty on Thursday. Typical same story about the dirt and salt where I live is the problem.

#27 ·
Brakes On My '03 E

Replaced both front and back at 108,000. The front didn't need to be changed at that time but since we had the parts we did it anyway.

At 153,000 the rears needed replacing again.

Now at at 179,000 the left rear is metal on metal. This time I am going to replace calipers, hose, pads and rotors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.