Honda Element Owners Club banner

Brakes last forever!

7K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  slimerdogs 
#1 ·
Not a problem or an issue, but couldn't find a "general" section in the forum.

Any-who, the brakes on my E are lasting forever! Its a 2004 at 92,000 miles and I am just about to have my first brake job. Its an M/T so I'd guess that helps the brake pad life.

Anyone else have theirs last this long? Any good brake upgrades for when I do get them done?

#20 ·
I did a search and found this older thread about brake pad life. Looks like you guys are getting some long life out of them I was getting the oil changed last week, and the guy at the oil change place, who was not trying to sell me brakes, told me that my brake fluid level was down which was an indication at that my front brake pads needed to be replaced. The brake pads are original with 61,000 miles on them. They are not making any noise and still stop with no problem. They stopped very well last week when a deer ran out in the road and I barely missed hitting the it. My question is should I just add brake fluid, or is that really an indication that the front pads need replaced? So far them only repair costs to my 2007 Element has been a rear wiper blade and a new drivers side headlight today that I picked up at Autozone. You gotta like Hondas reliability and low maintenance costs.

#5 ·
25k had to replace all 4 corners. Honda forgot to greese the guide pins I guess and it froze my calipers shut for about 2k miles, my back left rotor and pads were gone, plus I live in a Salt using state for winter, doesn't help. I went with x-drilled/slotted/ZINC coated PowerStop rotors and PowerStop ceramic hp pads for $191 shipped to my door. I greesed the hell out of my pins and now my gas mileage went up because of less drag, a little less rotating weight and the look do much better and have a 3 year no rust warranty which is great for me.

#7 ·
Changed mine at 92,000 miles.
Just the front brakes and rotors.
I do lots of towing.
Plus - I can still go stunt jumping with the "E", 4X, and fun stuff.
NO FEAR here.

#11 ·
I've got 103K on the original brakes on our EX AWD There's still lining left too.

Now to be fair, there are lots of highway miles and it's a MT. I'm probably going to change them soon and will likely replace the rotors as well, but there's no indication I really have to....

#13 ·
I had to replace the brakes on my '06 E at around 60k but that was mostly where I used to run a newspaper route part time. Great gig but as gas prices went up they did not compensate for your expenses.

#14 ·
Lifetime Supply of Pads

Glad to hear most folks are getting such good service out of their brake pads. I have a set of new front pads that I bought for my former daily driver (1987 Nissan pickup) but never used. On a whim, I took a look at the Element front pads, they look identical to the Nissan pads (must be the same vendor)! A friend of mine at work also has a set of new Nissan pads he never used, so if I buy his I'll have a lifetime supply of front pads!:D

#18 ·
Left mine at the shop tonight so they can check the brakes tomorrow.
They've have always been excellent but now they are starting to pulse a little. I'm at 66k so probably need new front pads. Wish my E's brakes would last forever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.