Honda Element Owners Club banner

Drivers side axle boot

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jst2878 
#1 ·
Ok, so my outer boot on the drivers side axle has separated into two pieces.
Right after the clamp holds the boot onto the shaft, the smallest part separated from the rest. Could this cause vibration

#3 ·
I envy you warranty people. Get yourself a new axle. Once that boot goes and the insides are exposed, even the smallest piece of debris (rock or whatever) can raise hell later on if they simply close it back up and reclamp it. I'd mark the axle with a permanent marker or put a couple distinctive scratches on it and tell them you want a new one. When the repairs are done, go back and make sure they actually replaced the axle. Dealerships lie. Don't trust them at all.

#4 ·
Upon further review , and more time to research , I've found that when bringing the vehicle back to Honda for warranty work , they do have the option of replacing just the torn boot , here :http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...5AT&catcgry5=FRONT+DRIVESHAFT+SET+SHORT+PARTS

I would not accept this , press the service advisor or even the service manager that the axel may very well have been compromised before you noticed the torn boot . A new axel will have the part label on it and check vehicle before leaving .... please .....

Good luck

#5 ·
You're going to want a new outer joint and obviously a boot. I don't know, Honda may just provide the complete axle which is probably easier from a labor standpoint to change.

I'm surprised a boot would go out on such a new vehicle.

#6 ·
Demanding that a repair be done a certain way can work against you.
It is very easy for a part to go on "backorder" or "accidently" ordered wrong.

As a long time dealer employee more often thsn not we replaced a complete axle when the boot was torn if the vehicle was under warrantym

We don't like to have too fix the same problem twice.

#7 ·
does anyone know of a writeup on replacing the boot. no grease is leaking out, just the boot is seperated. no dirt has entered the joint. I just purchased the boot replacement kit from honda but i just need info on the correct way to disassemble the outer axle cup so I can replace the boot. I know it is held on by a circlip so i guess just getting the cup to pull past that will do the trick. just wasnt sure if it had to be turned to loosen.
my element is still under warranty but i changed to sc suspension and added camber bolts, so I doubt its covered anymore

#8 ·
Take it in and see. They'll probably never even raise an eyebrow. It's worth it if you ask me. I've never done a boot replacement, but I hear it's sort of an ass pain. Might as well put a new axle in there since you're more than likely going to have to pop the lower ball joint to get the hub assembly off the outer part of the axle.

#9 ·
true. i just think they will charge me when its all said and done and then ill be pissed since i could have done it myself.....im still looking for a diy on this project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.