Honda Element Owners Club banner

Rear Wheel Hub Replacement

16K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ramblerdan 
#1 ·
2005 EX 2wd AT

I am getting the familiar hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm from the rear of the E, so it is time to replace the rear hubs. I have done this a few times on my Accord, but probably not the same deal here. I have searched and searched and I am unable to find any information on this procedure. I already have the new hub assemblies, but I'd like to hear from someone who has done it before I go ripping stuff apart.

Do I need a puller to get the hubs off?

Do I need to press them back on?

Are there any other pitfalls you can help me avoid?

Thanks in advance.

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome Fishman463.

Are you replacing just the hubs or the hubs and bearings?

Honda does not sell them as an assembly. Did you find them aftermarket?

Unlike the Accord where you just have to pull off the caliper, mounting bracket and rotor the E is more involved.

The hub is pressed into the bearing.

To echo ramblerdan....Before you start pulling anything apart i would get your hands on a service manual.

#5 · (Edited)
I got the hubs with bearings installed aftermarket hoping that I would not have to press anything.

No tips other than to buy the service manual?
Did the backing plate come assembled on the hub assembly?

The backing plate is sandwiched between the hub and bearing.

You will need to remove the parking brake assembly.

You will also need to be able to get enough access to the rear side of the bearing to remove the 3 nuts and 3 bolts holding the bearing in.

(These are just a few of the things you will need to know)

Now you can see why we hint at getting a manual.

#6 ·
The parts I have are numbers 23 and 2 in the Honda Element/Chassis/Rear Brake (Disk) exploded diagram. It is a 6 pointed star - the points are not evenly spaced. Three points are threaed holes the other three are smooth. There are two bearings pressed into the assembly. I have wrenched on everything from boats to helicopter engines/airframes/drivetrains to mototcycles to hotrods to everyday drivers. I can see from the diagram that the rotor bolts to the hub assembly and the hub assembly slides into the bearing assembly (that is the part that I am replacing) and it looks like a nut holds the hub there. I guess my question would be is the hub pressed into the bearing assembly or does the nut do all the work?

#7 ·
The parts I have are numbers 23 and 2 in the Honda Element/Chassis/Rear Brake (Disk) exploded diagram. It is a 6 pointed star - the points are not evenly spaced. Three points are threaed holes the other three are smooth. There are two bearings pressed into the assembly. I have wrenched on everything from boats to helicopter engines/airframes/drivetrains to mototcycles to hotrods to everyday drivers. I can see from the diagram that the rotor bolts to the hub assembly and the hub assembly slides into the bearing assembly (that is the part that I am replacing) and it looks like a nut holds the hub there. I guess my question would be is the hub pressed into the bearing assembly or does the nut do all the work?

The hub is pressed into the bearing. The FSM recommends a press be used to seperate the hub from the bearing and to reinstall the hub into the new bearing.

The nut holds the CRV joint inplace on a 4wd model or the stub axle on a FWD model.

#8 ·
That was what I was after. So, reallly the only hangup here is to press the hub assembly out of the bearing assembly and then back into the new bearing, right? I guess I'll just take it all apart and have a local shop press it out and back in for me. Thanks, lizzurd!

#9 · (Edited)
That was what I was after. So, reallly the only hangup here is to press the hub assembly out of the bearing assembly and then back into the new bearing, right? I guess I'll just take it all apart and have a local shop press it out and back in for me. Thanks, lizzurd!
Thats makes it sound overly simple. You still have to disassemble the parking brake assembly and get access to the rear side of the bearing to get the bolts and nuts out. You also may have to deal with the bearing being seized into the knuckle.

Don't get us wrong we do try to offer more help here than just suggesting you buy a service manual. But as we all know unlike fluid changes and minor repairs there are somethings that require more than a quick right up or a video on youtube to show you what it involved. We also don't know your skill level or the tools you have on hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.