Honda Element Owners Club banner

aliner trailers

14K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  paulj 
#1 ·
Hi there all!

Anyone ever owned one of these hard sided folding trailers? I looked at the alite 400 today. It has a total base wieght of 400 pounds and can be towed by a motorcycle! I am a very small woman, and could easily manuaver it and pop the roof and walls up without even straining a little.

The E will be my bedroom, the aliner will be my living room, kitchen and crapper, even tho the sofa folds down into a bed. They have an amazing amount of room on the inside. The website pictures don't do it justice.

This in combo with the E seem a perfect RV package without spending a fortune, relatively.

Before I buy it tho (It's spendy for something this small..5900 with battery and all the "extras") any opinions or experiences with one would be appreciated if you have 'em!

THX in advance!

http://www.aliner.com/page30.html

#2 ·
I saw one of these at the East Coast Canoe and Kayak Symposium in April. I asked if I could look at it and the people who owned it were very excited to show it off. It's all the benefits of a pop-up without the annoying sliding canvas parts and extra weight. Have you looked at the larger model for small Hondas? http://www.aliner.com/page10.html
I like these a lot, but they are quite pricey. Oh and by the way, this isn't really camping either!

#3 ·
well, I still DO sometimes run naked in the woods with a knife between my teeth chasing bears for breakfast..but this would be nice for my more sophisticated moments :lol:

I looked at the larger ones, yes. They have a little MORE than what I need. I already bought the bedroom! Don't need to tow one around with me ;-) I plan on keeping the sleeping space in the E, and use the trailer for all the other living functions.

These are so lightwieght tho, I wonder how they hold up?

#8 ·
zetemo_52 ~ Thank you for your research!

I looked at the new teardrops, they are indeed cute, seem to be well made and are great lookers, but just not to my liking for some reason or another. I think it is the standing room thing, possibly a cluastrophobic issue? The aliner does have some standing room, it might be the space above my head and the more open feeling.

THIS coming from a 5 ft tall woman!

#9 ·
[quote:79dde8e2c2="spldr"]zetemo_52 ~ Thank you for your research!

I looked at the new teardrops, they are indeed cute, seem to be well made and are great lookers, but just not to my liking for some reason or another. I think it is the standing room thing, possibly a cluastrophobic issue? The aliner does have some standing room, it might be the space above my head and the more open feeling.

THIS coming from a 5 ft tall woman![/quote:79dde8e2c2]

might look a little something like this:

lol... i did some research into the teardrops a few months ago... and decided that during winter break i'll try and build my own...

#10 ·
[quote:09f4f74dbf="Sheniferous"]

might look a little something like this:

lol... i did some research into the teardrops a few months ago... and decided that during winter break i'll try and build my own...[/quote:09f4f74dbf]

Haaahahaha...I've seen bigger coffins!

Seriously though, SpIdr, that ALiner at 400 Lbs is really for motorcycles and may be a bit too small.

#12 ·
Amazing, those little teardrop trailers. Back in the early 60's, my uncle built a teardrop about the size shown in the photo. It expanded sideways to sleep 4, had storage for food stuff and even hot and cold running water. When I went with them (aunt, uncle cousin and me) to the Seattle World's fair we camped in it from Denver to Seattle, then down to So Ca. Great little trailer.

#16 ·
[quote:56491e8d10=" "]Anyone have any idea what type of trailer this is, and where I can get info on it?

Where did he get that cool trailer? That's exactly the type of camper I'm looking for.[/quote:56491e8d10]

I saw one like this once before on this site. It is in a thread with some of the "tents-on-trucks" stuff, I think. The company that sells that trailer also sells just the tent/platform part for mounting on the roof of an SUV. I wish I could remember more about the thread so you could search better.

Bill

#17 ·
Find it at www.tentrax.com I really like the looks and workmanship of these trailers. They are pricey, but fully customized to your needs.

#19 ·
Now that Brian's back, he's gotta do some 3AM shots of his trailer for us...

-brendan

#21 ·
That is really cool! It looks like he put some OEM rims on it too. Nice job whoever it is.

BTW, I have to haul a motorcycle from upstate with Boxy. I need to rent a trailer. I would like to get a enclosed one or something that works lol. Any suggestions?

#23 ·
Wow! This guy should be voted element of the year! The miles on his E must be enormous!

Thanks for the link. I should have looked back to a earlier post and saw it.

#24 ·
it looks like it might be something homemade. it reminds of the back of an old jeep. whatever it is, i it has ex rims on it.
i plans in my head for building a teardrop out of an old vw bug sans the front end.

#25 ·
[quote:5417393485=" "]Hi there all!

Anyone ever owned one of these hard sided folding trailers? I looked at the alite 400 today. It has a total base wieght of 400 pounds and can be towed by a motorcycle! I am a very small woman, and could easily manuaver it and pop the roof and walls up without even straining a little.

The E will be my bedroom, the aliner will be my living room, kitchen and crapper, even tho the sofa folds down into a bed. They have an amazing amount of room on the inside. The website pictures don't do it justice.

This in combo with the E seem a perfect RV package without spending a fortune, relatively.

Before I buy it tho (It's spendy for something this small..5900 with battery and all the "extras") any opinions or experiences with one would be appreciated if you have 'em!

THX in advance!

http://www.aliner.com/page30.html[/quote:5417393485]

What a really slow site!

I like the Sportliner. It appears that the Element will handle it. The porta-potty option and outside shower is especially attractive.

Where did you find pricing guides? I'd like to build one before going to a dealer.

#26 ·
that a-liner is really cool.. first i have seen those.. i grew up tent camping, so we sneared at those with anything on wheels.. (ahh camping snobs, ya know.. but we thought anyone who brought a fridge and tv camping really lost the whole concept)..

anyhow seriously neat looking, this i would consider too..
that teardrop one, does look like a futuristic coffin.. creepy!

Thank you for sharing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.