Honda Element Owners Club banner

What did you do to your Element today?

576K views 3K replies 556 participants last post by  Rabbit212 
#1 ·
I replaced the front brakes, changed the cabin air filter, and washed her down.

-simpson

#1,363 ·
It pays to pay with cash. Today I had an appointment with Safelite auto glass for new windshield for $294 and some change. My deductible was at $500 so I paid out of pocket instead of doing an insurance claim. Got real tired of the sun glinting off the crack that ran across the whole window. Went to pay and they didn't have change for my cash, and dropped the price down to $280 out the door. Real happy to have new windshield all done. That is what I did to my baby today.

#1,364 ·
Element all Weekend

Had a free two whole days in a row to myself, can't remember that last time that happened. I attacked the Element with all the stuff I accumulated over the winter intending to get to sooner than later. First I replaced the rear bumper which got hit by my buddy at work with the company van while he was avoiding hitting a traffic cone, they offered to compensate for it. Then I did a coolant flush and fill, replaced the top and bottom main coolant hoses, replaced the thermostat and fan thermo sensor. Did a drain and fill of trans fluid and replaced the transmission filter. Did a bit of outside cleaning and detailing which was a long time overdue. Lastly I replaced the steering tie rod ends. That was a bear! Its just an awkward area to work and get torque on the nuts and tie rods themselves. I was running out of steam by the time I attempted and finished them. E looks pretty sweet tonight and I need to get an alignment soon.

Attachments

#1,366 ·
I didn't actually work on my E today, but I ordered all the stuff I need to change the oil. I ordered some Race Ramps from Amazon, and OEM Filtech filters, plug washers, drain plug, wrench, and even the overkill oil deflector from Handa. I also got a work platform from Northern Tool so I can reach the roof for cleaning.

#1,369 ·
Received my K24A2 sleeved block from Golden Eagle. Modified the K20 RSX oil pump to fit the new block. Tried out the new oil pan. Now it is off to the machine shop to have new pistons, rods, bearings and blueprinting. Getting closer to being a 4 cylinder again.

Attachments

#1,373 ·
Yes. I managed to break a motor mount and the engine dropped onto the a/c pulley, broke the serpentine belt and overheated the motor. This was on a dirt road, really bad and bumpy. Traveling at about 5 mph behind a large pickup and I did not see any steam from the radiator. Didn't realize I had a problem until I made it to pavement and could see steam from the hood only after the dust cleared. Lost the valves in #4, at the time had 30 psi compression in #4. Drove home on 3 cylinders. Disconnected the injector and the coil pack and said time to get home. Ran like a champ and I am still driving on 3 until I get the new engine completed. Should be completed in mid July. Setup should develop 400+whp street tune and 475-500 for strip map. The only engine mods left will be new cams, when I can figure out what I want to run power wise. It's all fun.

#1,371 ·
I gave my E a long overdue bath…I'm embarrassed to say I have no clue when I last did this but it looks a whole lot better now. Today I need to get on the interior…it's only been a few months since I did that, so it shouldn't be too bad but I took the kids to the beach a few weeks back and the requisite layer of sand that came home is on everything...

#1,375 ·
Put my lowering springs on, finally haha

#1,377 ·
Had to take the day off of work to get my internet working again. While I was waiting for the repair guy, I figured I'd do some maintenance. Changed the oil, drained and refilled trans, drained and refilled diff. Also, detailed the exterior for the first time in a year. I'm expecting my new to me seat covers that I bought from a member here to arrive tomorrow. Stoked for that. I'll detail the guts and then install them. One of these days I'll get some pics up here.

#1,378 ·
GR8Bike

Thanks for posting your new engine build GR8Bike,great photo of cylinder block. just love the way honda design cooling systems. The cylinder bores are never an issue as far as hot spots. They (HONDA) certantly have all the know how, from their racing pedigree. PS ; Please keep us (me) informed with further updates and loads of photo's .Love what your doing GR8Bike.

#1,380 ·
Thanks for posting your new engine build GR8Bike,great photo of cylinder block. just love the way honda design cooling systems. The cylinder bores are never an issue as far as hot spots. They (HONDA) certantly have all the know how, from their racing pedigree. PS ; Please keep us (me) informed with further updates and loads of photo's .Love what your doing GR8Bike.
Flanoman that is not stock Honda, that is Golden Eagle sleeved. They machine out the old stock sleeves and part of the block, install new cast iron liners w/the buttresses(like Notre Dame) for added strength. They heat the block and install frozen liners. Then line bore the lower end to make the crank line up exactly right. Now it is off to the machine shop for boring and piston match of the CP forged pistons and the new rods. Balanced and blueprint all the componets and back to me to assemble and install. Right now I am just waiting patiently until I can do my part. Send pics of the new head work parts shortly.

#1,384 ·
Patience is the number one point for a rebuild. Wait for parts, wait for machining, and sometimes wait to get the cash to pay for it all. Found out that my machine shop hasn't received the pistons and rods yet and that they are closing for the holiday and won't be back to work till the 7th of July. So add a couple more weeks to the build time.
Patience is a virtue. (Heard that somewhere) Pics when available.

#1,385 ·
GR8Bike,your zen like approach to this engine rebuild is admirable ( comes with age and experience I suppose) and I'm confident you will achieve the ultimate Hellement of a motor ever to grace the element forum. Hats off, and when the times right please (pretty please) post more .sincerely Flanoman

#1,388 ·
Flanoman. Two new pics. Head w/new Skunk2 Alpha Series High comp valves. Stock for the exhaust and .20 oversized for the intake. Bigger is better. New Manley duel springs and Ti retainers. Allow for higher rpm's. 8-9K range - will depend on cams I decide to run. Still waiting for the pistons and rods. Probably on a slow boat. LoL.

Attachments

#1,395 ·
You need your own thread GR8Bike. Please.

This build deserves it's own thread. Don't get me wrong I'm glad you're posting, but I'm afraid this fantastic build (or rebuild) is a bit lost in all that we do in our E each day. I know this is not your first rodeo when it comes to engine builds, but as a fan of that hot rod E I would love to see her have her own thread. Maybe I could even learn a thing or two from your know how. Just give that Element the thread she deserves. Please! Thanks for sharing and documenting it in the first place. I would also like to be first in line should you ever decide to part with her. I would love her dearly and treat her like the Queen she has become to be known as. I'm dreaming, but completely serous if it ever comes to that.

Hope to see you guys again someday and I look forward to your progress.

#1,391 ·
GR8Bike

i know it will be a while yet, but Im almost afraid for you when you bolt up everything in that beast of an engine build. OH the fear of the the first turn of the ignition. The questioning of ones self ,did i lube this that and the other, will i spin a bearing oh God no nooooo. just kidding great photos btw.i suppose a smooth idle is out of the question with the cams youll be running on those big intakes ha ha. Best of luck for now and will be keeping a close eye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.