Honda Element Owners Club banner

First drive of an element today

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  E_BikeR 
#1 ·
Wife and I test drove an element EX today. I've been wanting one of these cool little cars for years now. We have 6 dogs plus many foster dogs come and go. They have taken a toll on our 2000 CR-V. It's time for something new.

Dealer is offering a GREAT price - 20,050 + tax for a 08 EX 5 speed manual. Not too easy to find a 5 speed these days.

Car drives great, very smooth, much quieter inside than I thought it would be. The deal breaker for us (for tonight anyway) is the lack of covered storage in the thing. My wife has a lot of dog stuff and little things that she keeps in the CR-V. There's tons of little covered bins and drawers and hidden cubbyholes in the CR-V. Not so in the element.

I'm not too crazy about the armrest bin. It looks flimsy. I can see a 100lb half crazy pit bull mix snapping it right off. What I DO like is the console from the SC. I'll show her some pics of it tomorrow. I'm still undecided if I want to take on that project though. I'm pretty good with that kind of stuff, I put in factory sirius radio in my BMW and I've put in other car stereos before...but I just don't feel like I should have to go through the aggravation of obtaining and installing the thing in a brand new car.

So we're still undecided at this point. Thought I'd share this with the group!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
There are all sorts of threads here on making accomodations for dogs and all their goodies. The Element is rated as top dog car of the year. My suggestion is to post on the 'post your dog' thread about your concerns and I'm certain you will get lots of feedback.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32124

And post a picture of some of your dogs. We love dogs around here.

#5 ·
Yeah, there's no storage just cubes and cubes of empty space.:D Many have don the SC console mod. I'd post a link but, I'm lazy so I'll suggest that you search for it. It's a popular mod so it should come up quickly. Also there is a mod using a card table to separate the rear storage area. You know, for bins and stuff. Twilightzero did a DIY dog platform too. I forget what it's called.

The EX comes with XM and they (XM and Sirius) are merging so perhaps you won't need to switch the stereo.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase whatever it may be.:)

#6 ·
Waiting for the pictures before you get an "official" welcome

#8 ·
Great price. Swap consoles. Wash the dogs. Get a new dew for the wife. Hit the road.

Happiness follows!

Hope to see you back in the forums!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.