Honda Element Owners Club banner

What did you do to your Element today?

569K views 3K replies 556 participants last post by  Rabbit212 
#1 ·
I replaced the front brakes, changed the cabin air filter, and washed her down.

-simpson

#2,559 ·
Installed a set of OEM splash guards - super simple job and I'll be interested to see how much of a difference they make on the dirt that habitually sprays everywhere in the wet season...I live a mile up a dirt road, so keeping my car clean could theoretically be a full time job.

#2,560 ·
I had a busy couple of weeks ... Knocked out a ton of projects I'd been putting off.

Replaced:
-Strut assemblies
-Brake rotors, pads, and fluid
-spark plugs
-4x stabilizer links
-air filter
-hatch struts with Strongarm 4325 (LOVE the extra height, WHY did I not do this sooner?!)
-1x lug nut (I cross-threaded it on a stud I'd hit with the ball peen when removing the rotor .. I know, there were a couple of dumbass moments during all the work lol)
-12 ton, 18" total lift bottle jack for the lift work and to keep in the E for emergencies
-upgraded my air compressor tire pump

Added:
-audio steering wheel controls
-brush guard (got an ebay version that seems to sit low, need to reassess the attachment and figure out if it's just a poor guard or if I missed something)
-CCM style 3" lift
-3" nerf bars
-20mm wheel spacers in the rear
-steering wheel cover

Still to do:
-Sound deadening (gonna see what difference I can make for cheap, we'll see if it's worth it)
-reverse light swap for LEDs
-LED lightbar on the brush guard
-serpentine belt (didn't look bad, but didn't take a really close look)
-going to use a plastic restorer and see what it does for the panels
-I did the old cosco table in the back DIY but hated the pipe insulation so need to figure out how to mod it into what I want and still maintain it as a usable table
-door seals

Sooo ... yeah ....

Getting an alignment tomorrow and then taking a few weeks off!

#2,561 ·
DRL's

Front nudge bar installed years ago, with two 50W halogen lamps mounted. Removed the bulbs, replaced them with LED's meant as motorcycle daylight running lights. Also added a dropping resistor so that they would not burn out when charging voltages exceeded 12v. They go on whenever the ignition switch is on, as my DRL's.

Also sealed off the driver's side dash heater vent, made up a fibreglas disc painted black, and mounted a VDO voltmeter that was wired into the radio circuit. Now I can monitor charging voltages. Honda has a unique system that varies the alternator output depending on the state of the battery and its current load.

W. Li

#2,563 ·
How about that Tesla dash, though =P

I got a weathertech UVS100 shade used from a guy on here for $15 a few years back and now I've bought one for every one of my friends when they get a new car and am a total evangelist. Living in AZ means that tint + window screens are life.

There is also an OEM snap in shade for the sun roof. Found it at a pull a part for $3. I'd never seen one out there. That saves the doggos from the heat on trips (and I guess any humans that wander into the back seat)

#2,567 ·
Had a Coolant Leak last week.
After searching it down,did see it was coming from the "Heater Pipe".,
Had to undo the Intake Manifold,etc to get to it.
The "O-Ring" was Shot, along with a "Pin Hole" from Rust Thru.

It wasn't a Fun Job !! :x

Attachments

#2,568 · (Edited)
Yesterday: Painted front grille with bed liner spray paint then changed the auto transmission oil overdue at 146k miles

Today:Jacked up Tonka one side at a time, painted rusted parts trough wheel wells with bed liner spray paint, painted calipers with high heat silver exhaust paint followed by high heat blue metalcast paint then rotated the tires.

#2,571 · (Edited)
While I was Replacing the "Heater Pipe,etc" (Above)....thought I'd Replace the "PCV Valve" while I'm at it. Instead of just cleaning,I put a New one in.

Did Not Rattle inside...

"For example, if the valve clogs, or gets stuck in the closed position, you'll notice one or more of these symptoms:

Increase in internal engine pressure.
Failure of one or more oil seals or gaskets.
Engine oil leaks.
Moisture and sludge buildup inside the engine.
Engine surges and possibly black smoke.

Attachments

#2,577 ·
Attempted to pull off the nose cover of my just purchased '04 LX to attempt the gutter grill mod, found 3 of the 4 screws underneath to be seized. Reinstalled all the clips, ordered a new front lower engine spray shield and windshield washer pump (wipers work in front, rear fluid & wiper works, no fluid up front). Considering ordering a batch of new plastic clips just in case...

#2,581 ·
I changed the power steering fluid in both of my Es yesterday - I had forgotten how super simple this job is...even easier and quicker than replacing the cabin filters. Both had fluid about the color of maple syrup - not overly bad but definitely a lot darker than the new Honda fluid.

I also replaced the broken hood release handle on my 2004 E. I bought one of the anodized aluminum ones on Ebay that looks just like the original - great quality and super easy to install...definitely a long term solution and much easier than replacing the entire OEM cable assembly.

#2,582 ·
Today I changed the rear differential fluid for the first time on the 2004 4WD I bought a few months back - I had no idea when it was last done, so wanted to start fresh. A little tight getting under the car to loosen the drain and fill plugs but all and all easy enough job. I have a fluid pump that fits on a quart bottle, so that made the filling easy. The old fluid didn't look too funky so I'm guessing it hasn't been too long since the last change. The capacity is a bit over one quart, so now have an open bottle of the dual pump II fluid that is mostly full - anyone have any idea what the shelf life is on it now that it's open?

#2,583 ·
Got tired of carrying around the keyfob. This was $20 on Ebay, cut for $30 at a locksmith (probably cheaper options but I didn't shop around), and programmed the remote/dug the chip out of my spare key for free. Programming would have been another $60 at the same shop, but the included chip was of a different type and likely wouldn't have worked anyway.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.