Honda Element Owners Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P2646 engine code

76K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  lizzurd 
#1 ·
2005 Element 4wd
I do not own a service manual.

My Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) came on yesterday.

I took the Element to AutoZone for them to put their scanner on it and was told "P2646: Rocker arm actuator A- Bank 1 Perf. or Stuck off."

I also used canobd2.com and for Honda they list P2646 as: "A Rocker Arm Actuator System Performance or Stuck Off Bank 1"

Since then I've found almost general consensus on this board that P2646 is: "VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Circuit Low Voltage."

My question, why the difference in definition?

#2 ·
I just searched for the same Code on my newly acquired 2005 Element. (Since I am a 30+ mechanic) I'll give you my opinion of what's wrong. After reading about 10 posts on the same problem, I'm going to say it's your it's the Valve Timing Solenoid (located on the passenger side above or oil filter enclosed in a L shaped heatshield thing with two electrical plugs on top). Clean the solenoid and filter, reset the CEL and try it again. Some people have replaced the Vtech Oil Pressure Switch and still had the Code but it went away after cleaning the filter/strainer. I'm going to change the oil and filter and clean the pressure switch filter. The part is the same on most all Vtech engines. One of the web Honda dealers sell the part for $41.00.
37250-PNE-G01 SWITCH ASSY., VALVE TIMING OILPRESSURE ( No Color) 55.17 41.38

I've also seen a Moderator that said if the Battery Voltage is low that it can throw some funny codes.

Capt. Mike

#3 · (Edited)
Clean the solenoid and filter, reset the CEL and try it again.

I've also seen a Moderator that said if the Battery Voltage is low that it can throw some funny codes.

Capt. Mike
Capt. Mike, you're going to have to type slower for me!

What is the CEL? Is wiping the solenoid and blowing out the filter enough?

What is this about battery voltage? Our battery had died a day before for an unknown reason and we jumped it and had no starting problems since, BUT, the MIL problem happened/continues afterward. If it IS battery voltage, when/how should one expect these problems to clear and what about the MIL/P2646 code, will they "solve" themselves after the battery is happy?

#4 ·
Before I posted the initial message I had done an oil/filter change in hopes it would have some bearing.

Drove in to town and made a few stops before I was going to head to the Dealer for parts and after about 25 total miles the MIL turned off.

I'm anxious to get up to speed and see if it still bucks. As soon as I can find more information on this filter by the switch I'll go ahead and clean it.

#9 ·
"Germane"; obsolete... Now run a search on Marvel Mystery Oil and see what you can learn. FYI, if the screens are not restricted so terribly bad and the actual problem (P2646) is a sticking spool valve in the VTEC (or sticking solenoid) a Bucks worth of Marvel just might correct the problem or possibly help dissolve some of the gum (or gunk) trapped in the screens.

In some threads I've read through here I'm appalled by the lack of professionalism (and knowledge). In one thread a Modulator told the guy he needed to buy a Service Manual (for removal of the VTEC solenoid) and only one question per post! With 38 years experience in auto repair (electrical, mechanical, electronics and pain & body) if I can help you, I'll gladly try and in my opinion that's part of why people come here.

OK! Off my "soap box"... if you got your feathers smoked a little, I apologize. I am just like the Government, I'm only here to help you. :D

#7 ·
I believe this code can be thrown when the ECU is trying to engage VTEC, but the solenoid does not respond... this can be caused by bad solenoid, or low oil pressure.

Just to confirm, did you say that you did an oil change and the light went away? If so, I am wondering if perhaps your oil level was low prior to the change, thus causing an low pressure situation.

#8 ·
When I bought my son the 03 SOP, it surged while pulling away from a traffic light. The engine light also illuminated. What's posted below is from the bulletin that my mechanic pulled.

Pure Automotive in Virginia Beach, VA. AWESOME guy.

The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) was P2646: VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Circuit Low Voltage.

Description: The VTEC system activates the VTEC solenoid valve from the engine control module (ECM)/powertrain control module (PCM) and it charges/discharges the hydraulic circuit of the VTEC mechanism that switches valve timing between Low and High. The ECM/PCM monitors oil pressure in the hydraulic circuit of the VTEC mechanism using the VTEC oil pressure switch downstream of the VTEC solenoid valve. If there is a difference between the oil pressure condition in the hydraulic circuit that is determined by the ECM/PCM command and the oil pressure condition that is determined by the status of the VTEC oil pressure switch, the system is considered faulty and a DTC is stored.

Short answer: A faulty oil sensor will give a signal to the ECM/PCM that is a different voltage than normal. At a certain RPM (about 2500 for me) and at around 40mph the engine would surge. A bulletin from 2005 says to replace the oil sensor. My mechanic did and it solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.