Honda Element Owners Club banner

DIY Coolant/Antifreeze Hose Change - OEM/SAMCO

19K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Vermonter 
#1 ·
This thread is going to walk though the process to change out the 5 main coolant / antifreeze hoses that the Element has. There are other hoses that carry coolant, such as to/from throttle body and from somewhere around the thermostat to under the intake manifold, but this is starting out for these following main 5. If someone wants to update with the others, I highly encourage it!

This is coming about from a successful EOC/ElementalMotorsports GroupBuy effort for SAMCO Sport Silicone hoses that took place in this thread. Thanks again everyone!

All of my photos here are going to be Black = OEM rubber and Blue = Samco Silicone. You can swap out just as easily OEM for OEM following this if you wish. It is recommended to change out OEM hoses by honda as they do tend to wear out, get gunked up, brittle, crack ect. I do not have this interval on hand.

I would first off like to include This fantastic sticky DIY thread that EOC member dfreeze started that give the run down on replacing the fluids on a flush cycle. Read this first please in case I leave anything out and respond there to fluid specific content.

Replace hoses at your own risk 8)

Before/After - Black to blue illustrates what is being replaced.
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Now, the basic facts.

Radiator

03-06 Elements Use OEM;
PN 19501-PZD-A00 Upper Radiator hose
PN 19505-PZD-A00 Lower Radiator hose

03-06 Elements replace with SAMCO;
PN TCS-564/C Upper and Lower Radiator hose Kit
PN CK564/C Hose Clip kit
Serial cable Transparency Technology Cable Electronic device

07-11 Elements Use OEM;
PN 19501-PZD-A00 Upper Radiator hose
PN 19505-PZD-A10 Lower Radiator hose

07-11 Elements replace with SAMCO;
PN TCS-565/C Upper and Lower Radiator hose Kit
PN CK564/C Clip kit
Skate guard Plastic

Heater Auxiliary

03-11 ALL Elements Use OEM;
PN 79721-SCV-A00 HOSE A, WATER INLET
PN 79722-S5D-A00 HOSE B, WATER INLET
PN 79725-SCV-A00 HOSE, WATER OUTLET

03-11 ALL Elements replace with SAMCO;
PN TCS-564/H 3pc Heater hose kit
PN CK564/H Clip kit
Serial cable Cable Technology Transparency Electronic device

All clip kits (yes two of those are identical)
Water Mineral water Plastic

My recommended supplies;

- At least 2 gallons (service manual states 1.9 gal) Honda SKU: 0L999-9011
Genuine Honda Anti-Freeze/Coolant - Type 2
- Drain pan
-Plastic Drop cloth for spills (its going to happen with the heater hoses)
- Shop towels
- Your choice of plastic clip removal tool
- Flat head screwdrivers
- 9/32 nut driver or ratchet set (or metric equivalent)
- 10 mm ratchet with extensions ( I used 2 5")
- Head lamps, flash lights. See ample lighting!
- Your best needle nose pliers, the longer the better
- Lisle coolant funnel

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Side by Sides. These are New Samco hoses next to used OEM hoses. I figure the OEMs loose some of there original shape and droop with gravity and time. ;-) Brand new oems will look just like the Samcos, but these still show a decent side by side. Still a perfect Fit.
Air intake part Auto part Bicycle handlebar Pipe Hose

Hose Pipe

Bicycle handlebar

Auto part Hose Automotive engine part

Hose Bicycle handlebar Pipe

^thanks to Dick, "Gr8bike" for that last one.

#3 · (Edited)
Basic Process and Notes.

*All done on a 2007 EX AT or 2004 MT with modifications. Other models may vary in slight details, please take note that your Element may not look as these do.

-Place drop cloths, Drive on to drop cloths.
-Remove the bottom plastic cladding. Same piece that should be removed to replace transmission filter. Allows easier access to lower hose.

- Place drain pan under radiator pet**** and drain coolant. Help the coolant drain as much as possible.
Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Car Bumper

-Lean on the front end over the engine to lower the angle toward the drain to rock more coolant out. Inspect and ponder about how to take hoses off. Now is a good time to take note of how the Heater hoses connect. Once you get them off you may forget. Just in case, here's a little diagram I whipped up. I hope it helps. Black and silver are components and each colored line is a separate hose. Notice them cross over.
Rectangle

- The heater hoses are hard to get to as is. Remove the OEM Airfilter box if you have one equipped as far as necessary for you. Place something to cover and protect the throttle body from debris. I placed a plastic bag in my intake tube. 07+ OEM box comes out with two 10mm bolts on the left and one on the right. The one on the right will need extensions to get to. unclip the sensor wires and unscrew the worm clamp to get out the top box of the tube. Nice wide open spaces.
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

- Depending on how old your hoses are, these could be very hard to get off as they feel stuck in place. The paint lid tool used to pop the plastic clips or a flat blade screwdriver work well to break the seal loose around the ends of the hose. Hoses come off better with as much twisting as possible.
-Order of hoses to swap is your preference. For the heater hoses I found it easier to remove from the engine side first. I felt the engine connection nipples were more solid than the heater core nipples. Needle nose pliers and both hands are needed to pinch and slide the clips off the nipples. Slide the clips far enough up the hose that you can grab the hose firmly and not get stabbed by the clip. Pull, Pry and twist the hoses off. Some coolant will come out of these heater hoses still so adjust your drain pan under that spot and prepare to pull the hose off, then quickly aim for the pan.
- It's hard to get a good shot of the heater hose ends that connect to the engine

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Auto part Fuel line Pipe Tire Bumper

Auto part Automotive exhaust Pipe Exhaust system Exhaust manifold

Auto part Pipe Tire Automotive tire Exhaust system

- Take the bottome ones off first then use the free lenght you have to help twist the top left ends off. This will not be easy. Its very tight and getting your fingers in there with a pair of pliers is very tricky. It helps to have one hand on the pliers pinching the clip, with the other hand on the other side guiding the clip out.
- Remove the power steering pump hose bracket also to get more room for your hands. Its just one 10 mm bolt.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Fuel line

- Now that you have the hoses off, put the new ones back on. This is much, much easier. I found it helps to rub a little coolant around the inside edge of the hose to help lube it. I have read where people suggest white grease for normal OEM Rubber hoses. I do not know how that will work for these Silicone, so I am not suggesting it.
- Before you slide the hose clips onto these hoses, take caution at the direction they are facing. put them on the wrong direction and you will not be able to navigate a ratchet or screwdriver to tighten them down. Here is another sequence of photos and where I found the best places for me to situate the clips. You may find better or worse locations!
- Tighten these to where you can see that they are smaller then the outer ridge of the nipple or where you cannot move them. Too tight and you run the risk of cutting into the hose. After a day or so of driving, check on them just to be sure. I used a combo of a 9/32 socket and flat head to get the right angle.
Pipe Hose Fuel line Auto part Plumbing

Hose Fuel line Pipe Water Auto part

#5 · (Edited)
Auto part Fuel line Suspension Hose Pipe

Fuel line Pipe Auto part Hose Exhaust system

Water Auto part Electric blue Vehicle Compact car

Auto part Pipe Fuel line Vehicle Engine

Water Auto part Pipe Fuel line Material property

-Notice this. The long heater hoses has two different diameter ends. Look at the clips for this, you will see 5 of one size, then a sixth bigger one. This is correct and they match each other. This bigger end connects to the engine and the smaller end connect to the heater core. for kicks, put this large end over the other nipples, you will find its way too loose and easy to put on. Then you will wish that they were all this easy :razz:
Cobalt blue Blue Purple Violet Electric blue

Congrats, you have the heater hoses on and off.

#6 · (Edited)
Now onto the Main Radiator Hoses

-These are much easier, they have clips that lock in an open position when pinched. Very helpful. Just don't position the pliers to where you are blocking the teeth of the clip otherwise you will be fighting yourself and never get them to stay open.
-It also helps to remove that plastic tray over the radiator and around the hood latch to get to one of the Upper hose ends. I didn't do that at first, but did when installing the new hose.
UPPER
Auto part Fuel line Engine Pipe Exhaust manifold

Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Pipe

Auto part Engine Fuel line Automotive engine part Vehicle

Chef Butcher

Off, and now back on.
Auto part Suspension Pipe Fuel line Vehicle

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Fuel line

#7 · (Edited)
Auto part Fuel line Engine Pipe Automotive engine part

Auto part Fuel line Pipe Engine Hose

Fuel line Auto part Hose Pipe Engine

Ok that got a little dizzy, I apologize.

-Now comes the Lower. This has a slight difference in angle between the 03-06 and the 07-11. Ill post up my photos, then Gr8Bikes from the Hellement.
-This was another hard to reach clip. I found laying on my back was the best approach since i removed the plastic cladding. It can also be reached from the top with long arms, but I don't see an easy way to get the hose installed from that way. I still think from under was the best way. Like the transmission filter, it is very tight can takes some trick hands to get it to work. I post this last because you are going to want your Element nice and cool 'round here.
Auto part Fuel line Pipe Suspension Suspension part

Auto part Vehicle Fuel line Engine Pipe

Auto part Automotive fuel system Vehicle Pipe Engine

#9 · (Edited)
Well, It's just easier to link to Gr8bikes post on the group buy thread.
Here And Here

And that's it. Easy huh?

Now go back and check all of your clips. Re install all items that you removed and follow those DIY threads for filling up your coolant again.
I would like to plug the Lisle coolant funnel here. It was great. It attaches and makes a seal to the radiator cap and has a plunger to stop the flow if you fill too much up in the bucket. My photo turned out blurry so here is a stock Photo. Lots of youtube videos on it also. Oh and if you use this, the B matches the C. You'll see what Im talking about.

So thanks for playing along. HUGE thanks again to everyone involved in this group buy. Enjoy them and lets see everyone have an easy time installing them and posting up photos of all the crazy colors!

#10 ·
Excellent write up and pictures! Thanks for the effort. I guess this is a job I'll be doing in the spring.

#11 ·
You guys should be getting your hoses any day now! So excited!

I thought I should mention about how different the rubber and silicone hoses are. The longer the rubber hoses stay on a car, the better they bond to it. It can make the old ones very hard to get off. Freeing one end to twist the other works well. You can also just cut it off. Don't worry, the rubber ones are super cheap compared to these silicone.

The silicone hose works in the opposite of the rubber. These do not bond and mold to the nipples over time. This can lead to leaks if they are not tightened down enough. hence the need for the rounded and smooth worm clamps. I don't have a recommended official method of making sure they are tight, but not too tight to risk cutting into the hose. I just made sure that the clamps were tight enough that they would not slip over the bump on the nipple, and that the hose would not twist. Then I tightened just a little more. I hope this helps.

Oh yeah, these do have a smell to them that will get in the cabin with the air recirculater off. Took about a week and a half for it to not be noticeable in the cabin.

Anyway, Hope the installs go smooth and post up plenty of photos once installed!

#16 ·
Installed Pictures

Well, I just got back from my Honda Dealer. They installed them for 158.00 which was cheaper than what they quoted me :) It took them 4 hours to finish it. Everything looks pretty good other than the honda tech had some really dirty greasy hands b/c my hoses are really dirty. I'll have to try and clean them later...heheh...dirty hose
Muchas Gracias SLobadon.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
...run out to your garage and fill your brake fluid reservoir. You are way low. The picture on top shows you are getting close to pulling air in the system. Actually looking at the color you are due for a fluid change anyway so might as well bleed while you are at it..

$158 is a fair price for the job. Replaced all my hoses today and it was certainly not as easy as I had hoped going in.

#19 ·
i totally forgot which hose went where on the heater swap. I came back here went thru the thread and whala I did it right thanks to your awesome color diagram!! When i went thru it before it ade zero sense after getting them on the light bulb popped. Post pics later, this plastic cladding is kicking my arse. Yob well done Sir Slobadon

#22 ·
Part of the deal with the group buy was that I got the plain blue hoses shown here as working prototypes, and then my own color choice all complimentary. I choose a Camo Orange and Blue. I liked the Blue, but decided orange to tie in that eyesore Oil dipstick! I had all but given up on them actually making this set and they just came in yesterday... What do y'all think?
Plastic Plastic bag Space

Pretty Rad!
I had no idea the white would be in there, It was very shocking at first. But that feeling has actually grown on me and I like the look. Just not sure if they "go" with my Element.

#24 ·
Part of the deal with the group buy was that I got the plain blue hoses shown here as working prototypes, and then my own color choice all complimentary. I choose a Camo Orange and Blue. I liked the Blue, but decided orange to tie in that eyesore Oil dipstick! I had all but given up on them actually making this set and they just came in yesterday... What do y'all think?
View attachment 101153

Pretty Rad!
I had no idea the white would be in there, It was very shocking at first. But that feeling has actually grown on me and I like the look. Just not sure if they "go" with my Element.
So are these part numbers you shared now a STOCKED NUMBER @ Samco?

#23 ·
looks good in the bag:lol: let's see it installed before the jury is in.

#26 ·
OBP- Real part numbers YES - Stocked- kinda- Every custom order like this is made per order - 4-6 week leadtime from the UK

CP- Yes, you can get them still - see below for every bit if info you will need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.