Honda Element Owners Club banner

30,000 mile checkup, am I being ripped off?

42K views 61 replies 43 participants last post by  Bob18336 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am bringing my Element in for its 30,000 miles check up, I have for every 10,000 miles, and they told me at the dealership that the appoinment will cost $380!!!! Does this seem right? I have the appointment for tomorrow, but I will cancel it if many people think this is too much. What are other peoples experience with this? Thanks.

#3 ·
ahh.. $380 to change your oil and filter, put some grease on hinges, and look at your fluid levels.

[facetious]sounds like a deal![/facetious]

look in the manual and see what type of servicing is required at 30,000 miles, then as your dealer what exactly they plan to do for the $380. they probably won't match up.

#5 ·
Budman said:
Cost me over $400. I nearly fell over.

me: "that's sounds high for 30k service"
them: "well it is quite extensive"

$120 in parts and about $280 in labor.
:shock:
For what!?
Why do people keep falling for this stuff?

A little advice...

If anyone else is contemplating wasting their money on unnecessary service,
go to this link....LINK
When the page opens, click where it says click here under the first search result.

It tells you exactly what the maintenance schedule should be for each mileage/age of the vehicle for the normal and severe service guidelines.
:roll:

#6 · (Edited)
Ranger said:
For what!?
Why do people keep falling for this stuff?

A little advice...

If anyone else is contemplating wasting their money on unnecessary service,
go to this link....LINK
When the page opens, click where it says click here under the first search result.

It tells you exactly what the maintenance schedule should be for each mileage/age of the vehicle for the normal and severe service guidelines.
:roll:
Guess I should've asked first. I (stupidly) assumed they'd only do what was necessary. I'll post a list of what was done when I get home and dig out the invoice. Guess I can call and bitch as well (lot of good that'll do).

#7 ·
whoa!

i bought an air filter, the cabin filters, an oil filter, some wiper blades, and five quarts of mobil1, all for about $75. and then my mechanic spent 40 minutes rotating the tires and changing everything. he charged me $20.

so i spent $95 for my 30k

#8 ·
ok, so far I have only heard of one other person paying for this, the only reason that I am doing the checkup with the dealer is because they are a Honda dealership and they are who I bought my car from, plus I dont know how to do most of the stuff on the list of things to check at 30,000 miles, besides crap like oil and blades. So where do other people get their 30,000 mile check up? Do they even get it? Thanks for the input so far...

#9 ·
nhE said:
ok, so far I have only heard of one other person paying for this, the only reason that I am doing the checkup with the dealer is because they are a Honda dealership and they are who I bought my car from, plus I dont know how to do most of the stuff on the list of things to check at 30,000 miles, besides crap like oil and blades. So where do other people get their 30,000 mile check up? Do they even get it? Thanks for the input so far...
For what it's worth, here's what was done to mine (according to the invoice):

oil and filter change
tire rotation
wheel alignment
replace: air filter, pollen filter, coolant
inspect/adjust brakes
change tranny fluid
tire "inspection and pressure"
service battery terminals
inspect: drive boots and joints, suspension, lights, steering, fuel lines and injection system, exhaust, hoses and belts
check battery, starting and charging system
change differential fluid

#10 ·
Eventually someone with far more mechanical knowledge than myself will chime in on this thread. Until that time, however, I would offer the opinion that there is no such thing as A 30,000 mile service. Rather, there is a shop's version of what they wish to call a 30,000 mile service.

Assuming you have no desire to work on cars nor the experience to do so (my situation), your best bet is to specify these types of services a la carte to avoid the work which is simply not necessary. Besides lubricating hinges and changing oil, Honda specifies that by 30k miles, only inspections, oil changes, and air filters (engine and cabin) are required. I wouldn't know a bad brake hose if you were whipping me with one, so I will specifically ask the mechanic to perform the inspections specified by Honda, but I will forego the parts replacements and services not specified by the people that built the car.

Besides the inspections, they are simply performing a bunch of busy work that isn't required. Its wasteful at best and, at worst, can result in damage or wear (opening valve covers, disturbing gaskets, losing tiny parts, stripping threads, etc.). My Honda dealer specifies a 30,000 mile service that includes changing the spark plugs, fuel filter, differential fluid, coolant, and brake fluid.
Honda's severe maintenance schedule specifies 110,000 for plugs, 60,000 for differential fluid, 120,000 miles for coolant, and 3 years, regardless of mileage, for brake fluid. My dealer also specifies "valve adjustment" every 5,000 miles, and Honda requires a 110,000 mile evaluation, with adjustment only if noisy. My very reputable independent shop has a similar wasteful menu.

In short, NEVER specify a generic 30,000 mile service. No such animal exists according to Honda. Specify the individual items which require service (page 153 of my manual).

#11 ·
If you live in a larger city, call all the Honda dealerships and ask them to give you a quote on specific maintenance items that are listed in your manual. You may think they all have the same prices for the scheduled maintenance, but they certainly do not. When I lived in San Diego, the dealerships inside the city wanted almost $400 for the 30K service and the Poway Honda dealership was $220 (for a 2003 accord). Shop around if you want Honda to do the repairs.

#12 ·
PaddleMe said:
Eventually someone with far more mechanical knowledge than myself will chime in on this thread. Until that time, however, I would offer the opinion that there is no such thing as A 30,000 mile service. Rather, there is a shop's version of what they wish to call a 30,000 mile service.

Assuming you have no desire to work on cars nor the experience to do so (my situation), your best bet is to specify these types of services a la carte to avoid the work which is simply not necessary. Besides lubricating hinges and changing oil, Honda specifies that by 30k miles, only inspections, oil changes, and air filters (engine and cabin) are required. I wouldn't know a bad brake hose if you were whipping me with one, so I will specifically ask the mechanic to perform the inspections specified by Honda, but I will forego the parts replacements and services not specified by the people that built the car.

Besides the inspections, they are simply performing a bunch of busy work that isn't required. Its wasteful at best and, at worst, can result in damage or wear (opening valve covers, disturbing gaskets, losing tiny parts, stripping threads, etc.). My Honda dealer specifies a 30,000 mile service that includes changing the spark plugs, fuel filter, differential fluid, coolant, and brake fluid.
Honda's severe maintenance schedule specifies 110,000 for plugs, 60,000 for differential fluid, 120,000 miles for coolant, and 3 years, regardless of mileage, for brake fluid. My dealer also specifies "valve adjustment" every 5,000 miles, and Honda requires a 110,000 mile evaluation, with adjustment only if noisy. My very reputable independent shop has a similar wasteful menu.

In short, NEVER specify a generic 30,000 mile service. No such animal exists according to Honda. Specify the individual items which require service (page 153 of my manual).
Very well put. After the spanking I got I'll be taking that advice...

#13 ·
Alright get this 22000mi check up I never really read what they were suposed to do but I figured that they would check fluids and fill if needed and do alighnment. so My mom picked the car up for me and she drove it hjome and i get in and go to drive it they didnt do the allighnment. I had gotten in a car wreck so it had really messed it up i guess they didnt do a test drive, the wheel was at like 10 oclock when the tires were straight.....and i got to use my window washer No fluid. Makes me feel real reliable on my dealer!

#14 ·
PaddleMe said:

Well put.

Budman said:
For what it's worth, here's what was done to mine (according to the invoice):

oil and filter change
tire rotation
wheel alignment
replace: air filter, pollen filter, coolant
inspect/adjust brakes
change tranny fluid
tire "inspection and pressure"
service battery terminals
inspect: drive boots and joints, suspension, lights, steering, fuel lines and injection system, exhaust, hoses and belts
check battery, starting and charging system
change differential fluid
Wow.
I'd be pissed if I was you.

I doubt they even touched the tranny, differential, and coolant.
They're all completely unnecessary and you wouldn't know the difference.
I wonder what service the battery terminals require at 30,000 miles?

Oh, and for those that take your own synthetic to the dealer for your oil change,
unless you actually see them use it, your chances are about 50-50
that they're just filling your E with regular old dino-juice
and keeping the Mobile 1 for their own car.
I've seen it happen.

#15 ·
Thanks,Ranger for the 50-50 comment re: bringing your own Mobil 1. I can watch the GMC being filled with my Mobil 1, but I won't be able to see that done at the Honda dealer. So I'm going to bring my 5 qts. in a plastic garbage bag and require the empty containers be returned to me { I will have scratch marks on the bottles so I know they are mine}. Geeeez, I'm getting paranoid!

#16 ·
According to Honda's OwnerLink Web site, the following should be done at 30Kmi:

*Rotate tires
*Replace air cleaner element

If the car is two years old, add:

*Inspect drive belts
*Replace dust and pollen filter

Since Honda recommends 10K oil change intervals, put that on the list.

Presumably the shop will also check your fluid levels and tire inflation, and the condition of the brakes while the wheels are off. I wouldn't pay a lot for that, though.

#17 ·
wankerklink said:
Thanks,Ranger for the 50-50 comment re: bringing your own Mobil 1. I can watch the GMC being filled with my Mobil 1, but I won't be able to see that done at the Honda dealer. So I'm going to bring my 5 qts. in a plastic garbage bag and require the empty containers be returned to me { I will have scratch marks on the bottles so I know they are mine}. Geeeez, I'm getting paranoid!
:lol:

You've got to be paranoid anymore.
It's difficult to find someone who takes pride in their own stuff, let alone yours. :roll:

But, you know, they could just pour the good oil into the cheap oil containers after they pour the cheap oil into your engine and return the Mobil 1 empties to you...
:grin:

#19 ·
This is what I did when I first brought my E in for the first service. I went over with the Service Writer the following in a nice civil tone:

1. I have read the owners manual, have been on Owners Link and have been working and racing cars for 20 years.
2. I explained that I only want what Honda has said is necessary on every single service, unless I state otherwise.
3. I told them I will be bringing in my own Mobil 1 oil and expect the empties in return. I also told them I would be checking to make certain they put in the Mobil 1. (this can be done with oil analysis, never have done it as I trust the dealer).

The Service Writer thanked me for going over this with him and noted in the computer to only perform Honda Maintenance. The dealer of course offers the a la carte service plans that cost $$$ and are all performed for no reason other than to line the pockets of the dealer. Think about it for a minute, with all of these cars being designed to last 100,000+ before requiring anything more than a few filters and oil changes, how can these places remain in business? They can't. So they rely on duping the uninformed and the too lazy to ask or read.

My 30,000 service cost me under $100, don't recall the exact amount but it consisted of the following:

Mobil 1 oil change - Free
Honda oil filter provided by dealer - Free
Pollen Filter - Don't recall price
Air Filter - Don't recall price

That's it.

I handle my own tire rotations or get them done for free at STS.

#20 ·
i've only got 16k on mine, but...

honda, although they front as being a a nice, practical company (and their cars are), they make a lot of $ from scamming on these intervals, as do all stealerships.

things like repalcing your air filter: costs $7 from autozone (that is way cheap) and takes 3 minutes to change. my wife would do it. the dealer will charge you at least 20.

the cabin filters can be changed fairly easily as well, see threads.

rear diff. fluid doesn't need to be changed until 90, 60 in severe, and they will sqeek if it is earlier.

lifetime alignments can be gotten from firestone for the price of 2-3 alignments. if you get tires from them go to tirerack.com and print out their price, firestone has to meet it!

#21 ·
I had done all of the required-by-Honda stuff for 30,000 miles at other places. (Lifetime alignment at Firestone, my own oil changes, etc.)

I started getting nervous about the fact that Honda had never actually inspected the vehicle in the almost 3 years that I had owned it. So, when I was at the dealership getting the SRS unit repaired at about 40,000 miles I thought "might as well ask."

I had them do the normal inspection that they do for the 30,000-mile service. Just an inspection. They charged me an hour of labor ($75 in Cincinnati - price varies) for it. I was quite pleased. The examined everything, and showed me a graph printout of 3 different things. (Battery power, alternator power, and I don't recall the other item.)

Basically, I spent the $75 and they told me the following:

* Tires are new.
* Brakes are 50% front, but look new rear.
* Oil is in good condition.
* All fluids are full.
* All fluids look fine, with the exception of A/T fluid.
* A/T fluid has some detectable wear in it. They recommend I get it changed at 36 months. (I believe the manual agrees with this, anyway.)
* A/C is cold
* Defroster works
* All hoses are fine
* All lights work
* Idle speed is correct
* Air filter is fine
* Cabin filters - not checked, because I didn't want them undoing my glovebox. (I have heavily modified it with electronic stuff.)

To sum up what they said: yada, yada, yada.
To sum up what it did for me: sense of satisfaction and relief.

Was it worth the $75? For me, yes. For others, no.

I would compare it to cleaning my house. That's something I just don't do. Neither does my wife, even though she is a stay-at-home mom. It's just easier to pay someone the $100 every-other-week to clean it for us.

#23 ·
Thank goodness for this thread!
I was in a little over a week ago to get the "30,000 mile service" and to fix quite a bit of warranty issues.
The guys in the shop- EXCELLENT! They fix everything I ask them to regardless of whether there's a TSB or recall. I've been to another dealership where unless there's a recall or a TSB they would not fix a rattle. This dealership does.
BUT- Some of the guys at the service desk were trying to jerk me around. I'm a 19 year old kid and they probably thought I know jack crap about cars.

First Mistake- I called and set up a "30,000 mile service" without asking for a price. I should have called around to get a quote first, then act like I'd take my business, elsewhere. They WILL quote you a lower price as nothing is set in stone on these matters.

So I go in and when I say that I didn't get a price quoted, they say $380.
380 dollars!!!!????

Took me about 2 seconds and I was like um, you know what, I want to know EXACTLY what you're going to do to my car for 400 bucks.
Like others have said, rear diff fluid, yadda yadda...

I said I ONLY want what's listed in the manual. I go to grab the manual out of my car and suddenly the price is magically $310. Still too high.

Ended up spending far less than half of what they originally said. I made sure to be a little stern with them that I was only going to do what the manual by Honda motor co. suggests!

Like I said though- the servicemen themselves are super great- fixed all the issues no questions asked- courteous and friendly. Some of the guys at the desk are too- but I really didn't appreciate being jerked around.

Sorry for the long post but hope it helps someone!

#24 ·
I'm just about to hit 30K miles with my Element, but it's only a little over a year old. I"m up on business and went by the dealer and they too wanted $380.00 for the 30K mile service which they gave me a list of everything that they do, and yes the majority of them are inspections. I also looked on owner's link and there is nothing for 30K miles in one year, so I'm gonna go by the 20K 1 year suggestion by Honda, which includes all the inspections this dealership wants to do for $380.00.

Yes, I know it's not necessary, but with putting the Element through 30K in a year, and the only thing I've done is oil changes at 10 and 20K. I'm gonna spend the $380.00 for piece of mind, because I know I abuse my Element. I also need to get things fixed under warranty and the way I drive, I'll be out of warranty in two more months.

A lot of folks think I'm stupid, but considering how much I drive the E and the way I drive, it can't hurt to have these things inspected and then I definetely have recourse if something does go wrong. I do it this way with all my cars while they are under warranty. Mind you this usually is only about a year or a year and half for me. I don't think spending $450 in 30K miles in total maintenance on my Element is bad. You should of seen what I paid in 30K miles on my Evolution VIII, tires alone were $1,000 (and they only last 10K miles [yes a sports car is a total different beast, but perspective counts for a lot]). So I'm getting off cheap.

Once my car is out of warranty, then it will only get the service recommended by Honda, not the dealership.

#25 ·
emulous you make absolutely no sense. Why pay good hard earned money for work that does not need to be done, and in the long run can actually harm your Element?

You're going to let them change the diff fluid even though you know full well that it should even be touched? You are willing to pay for a mechanic to "look" at various things under the hood and the suspension? I will do all of that for $150 and come to your house and warranty my "looking around" as well!

I can't believe you are willing to throw away $400+ (including tax) on total nonesense. :(

By the way, driving 30,000/yr is not abuse. I can't imagine you being able to do anything short of neutral drops or 6,000 rpm launches if a manual that can truly be abuse of any vehicle. If you are driving like a lunatic off road then that too qualifies as abuse. But driving a car hard is not abuse, it is designed and built for that.

#26 ·
Yeah, changing the differential fluid is really going to harm my Element, especially since the differential already had a cracked seal and the fluid's already been replaced once and it's leaking again.

That's like saying it's going to hurt my Element if I decide to change the oil every 5K miles as the dealership wants to do.

I don't think my Element is all that well built compared to other cars I've owned. There are things on it that I want checked out before it comes out of warranty.

I've earned my money honestly and it's mine to do with what I want. It's not like I'm going into this uneducated, I know that these things are not necessary, but if it makes me more comfortable, then it's worth the price I'm willing to pay.

My Element has left me on the side of the road, I don't want it to happen again, so I take more preventive measures.

I made my post to show not everyone thinks the same, and just because you say it's not necessary does not mean I have to agree with you. I'm fully aware of how Dealerships make their money.

The difference between you and I is, I did not tell anyone to do what I do. I have enough respect for others is to let them make that decision on their own.

Abuse is subjective, and you have no clue how I drive my vehicles.

If it makes no sense to you, then so be it, just be happy I'm helping the economy out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.