Honda Element Owners Club banner

Insurance premiums more for 4WD?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bqbauer 
#1 ·
Hey folks!

I was just curious, are the insurance premiums more for the 4WD Element versus the 2WD Element?

When calling my insurance agent about the possible purchase of the Element (AllState), she asked if the model I was purchasing was 4WD. I told her "no" and she replied: "Ok Good" as if I saved some money by not going with a 4WD.

I didn't bother to ask ..... the tought just came to me.

TIA
-Nick

#2 ·
Greetings

I use Liberty Mutual for my insurance. I traded in a new Toyota Tacoma 2wd pickup for my 4wd Element and my insurance went down. I believe it went down due to the fact that the E has ABS and the Toy did not. It is possible that insurance companies charge a little bit more for 4wd because many people see a 4wd as some sort of invincible armor when driving in bad weather. Too many drivers don't realize that 4wd only keeps a car moving and does not help it to stop or turn. If you want the 4wd model I suggest shopping around for insurance as well.

Later

#3 ·
I use USAA. ABS lowered insurance. Actually I think AWD is seen as a safety plus but if you call it 4X4 it may be viewed as a vehicle you will use Off Road with a higher center of gravity. I would tell the insurance company it is AWD not a 4X4. USAA did not classify it as an Off Road 4X4. They classified it as a station wagon/van. My full coverage insureance is less than half of what it was for the Montero. One point though, the Montero was very expensive.

#4 ·
I do not think that they are different. I have Gieco and we originally had a Blue 2WD EX on order that I got insurance on. When the Blue one kept getting delayed in shipment we opted for a Black DX 4WD. I called Gieco and their was no change in the amount of our policy.

Dano
Nighthawk Black DX 4WD
(Rims and a kick-butt stereo coming soon!!!)

#5 ·
I believe that it is all based on the VIN. The VIN should give them all of the information needed, unless you have additional items added (GPS, alarm, etc) I'm also USAA and specifically asked for a general quote and then gave them the specific VIN and it went down. I bought an orange EX AWD with the works (invoice deal baby!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.