Honda Element Owners Club banner

Who's in on this?

• Big Group Taco Bar Dinner Planned - I'm down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will there be paparazzi? I need to know what to wear.

Votes: 0 0.0%

2013 Death Valley Campout

41K views 303 replies 25 participants last post by  Free_man_E 
#1 · (Edited)
DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK

FEBRUARY 2013 21,22,23,24

The 7th Consecutive year for this fabulous meet. Don't miss it. Good seats still available but going fast.
Get your campsite reservations now!

Campground:
Death Valley National Park www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm
Furnace Creek Campground - Two vehicles and 8 peeps per site.
Park at your campsite, fire pit and picnic table included.
Link to Furnace Creek Campground Map: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Reservations:
Recreation.Gov (calling works best) 877- 444 - 6777

PLEASE RESERVE YOUR CAMPSITE NOW!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I would like to see how many are willing to do hike Telescope Peak with me while we're here. Elevation 11,500ft. 7 mile hike one way with 3K ft elevation gain. They actually have a camp site at the trail head, Mahagony Flats. Either way I'm not missing this....unless i suddenly lose a limb. This is a pic of Telescope on March 24th 2012, from my hike

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I would like to see how many are willing to do hike Telescope Peak with me while we're here. Elevation 11,500ft. 7 mile hike one way with 3K ft elevation gain. They actually have a camp site at the trail head, Mahagony Flats. Either way I'm not missing this....unless i suddenly lose a limb
Burrrrrtch.. you might want to reconsider this hike if you want some company.
It would be tough in winter, cold, icy and windy, probably snow too. :holsnowman1:
There's a 50-50 chance of road closure and no cell phone service.

just sayin..

#5 · (Edited)
#6 · (Edited)
I did this earlier in year (March 24th) and there was some snow and cold winds but nothing too bad. I was just seeing if anybody as down for a great challenge. I'm still going to DV with you guys irregardless....just thought I'd throw that out there ya know.

Great video.

Late March is a good time to hike T.P. It's usually gets shut down when the winter storms blow by.
I'm thrilled that you're going to DV and look forward to finally getting to meet you. :)

#11 ·
I'll doubt you'll need gaiters but if we do this we'll check with the Ranger station to see if its even open. Im hyped, Hopefully we can drive all the way up to Mahogany Flats. If not we'll have to hike from the Kilns which adds approx 1-2 miles and all uphill

#12 ·
Sounds good, I know about all up hill trails, I've done the Marion Mountain trail to San Jacinto peak several times.
Though I'm not in as good as shape as I was last summer because I took so long to recover from my bad ankle
sprain I got July of 2011.

Marion Mountain trail to San Jacinto peak
Distance: 12 miles round trip
Elevation Gain: 4800 ft

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/SanJacintoViaMarion_4472.asp

#16 ·
Hi all, I am going to see if I can go this time.....got a new job in Costa Mesa, so not sure how the schedule is going to work out yet.....anyone wants to share a site?

#18 · (Edited)
SERIOUSLY Folks!

If you're wanting to go on this extrodinary DV National Park camping binge you need to get your Furnace Creek campsite reservations down quick like.

This campground will be booked solid within a month or sooner.
I'm not kidding!
Bag your campsite soon or you could end up exiled to a parking lot in Beatty. NV :shock:

#21 ·
Wow, those campsite numbers really changed! We can't plan that far ahead, but will keep and eye out for a tent site which don't go as fast as the regular ones. Hope to go and do Wildrose Peak (the smaller neighbor to Telescope peak, only 8 miles round trip) this time since weather prevented us last Feb.

#23 · (Edited)
IMPORTANT:

Campsite numbers.

Please let us know once you've booked a campsite and the campsite number.
It allows us to track a head count and will be helpful to others when they're selecting thier sites.
Why do we need a headcount? We don't do anything official. For the 1 potluck???

Like half the people who go, I won't know until the last minute anyway.

#27 · (Edited)
Site availability as of 9/8

Here it is as of today 1pm through http://recreation.gov

The same row as last time our group was in Furnace Creek (but these are the new site numbers)

TENT SITES: 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, (Motel_E in 106), 107, 108, 109
= 2 cars and tents allowed in each site.

TRAILER SITES: 77, 74 across same row as above tent site. 112 at end of tent row. = 1 car, 1 trailer allowed in each site.

There are more that are further away not in the same row so I only posted these that are together.

I'll have to get off my ass now and book soon.

-Tonya

#29 ·
Quick question, since I have a military Annual Pass how and when do I pay for thiis site?? I went back in to see if i did it right and 108 was off the reservation for the dates so I assuming I did it right. Just confused on how to pay??

#34 · (Edited)
WTG Burtch! :)

Now the Campground map shows your site 108 occupied by you.
Glad you fixed it.

We're off to a good start with sites 106-107-108 & 104 in the can!
If we could bag the rest of these currently available sites (101-102-103-105-109-110) we'de be "side by each" on the back row with no one camped behind us. 8)

#40 · (Edited)
"
Burtch - I know it's confusing..
Miss Ellie is the name of our E. Richelle (my wife) and me (Gene) are the Co. and just along for the ride... hence our moniker "Miss Ellie & Co."

As for my age; I got lost in the desert once and ran into a family of Romanian Gypsies.
Using a Mayan Calander, a Abacus (ancient Chinese bead calculator) and several bottles of Ouzo.. they determined my age as 102 yrs old.
Never argue with gypsies.

#43 ·
I'm eyeballing trailer site 77. I'm going to talk to Lacy tonight, maybe just reserve the thing in the hopes that I go. I feel kinda weird booking a trailer site, for my "trailer" that doesn't use electricity OR sewer.... I guess that just means we'll have to find a use for that sites power outlet.

I wasn't there for the great DV flood...but for those that were there...did #77 have a river running through it?

#44 · (Edited)
I'm eyeballing trailer site 77. I'm going to talk to Lacy tonight, maybe just reserve the thing in the hopes that I go. I feel kinda weird booking a trailer site, for my "trailer" that doesn't use electricity OR sewer.... I guess that just means we'll have to find a use for that sites power outlet.

I wasn't there for the great DV flood...but for those that were there...did #77 have a river running through it?

Paul - The trailer/rv sites at Furnace Creek are Pull-Through types (#77) but they do not have power outlets/RV hook ups.
The RV consession at Stovepipe Wells is the only campground inside the park that has hook ups.

#48 ·
Seriously, I wouldn't. If you are between 2 sites, the gravel will be blocked by the RVs on either side. It was so windy when I had tried to set up in that site, I couldn't even get stakes in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.