Honda Element Owners Club banner

Summary for after market tires for stock rims?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Libations Too 
#1 ·
I purchased my AWD 2010 Element on Black Friday with an option for new tires at dealer cost. I have read the forum pages and am having difficulty coming to closure on what represents a good tire choice. My priorities from highest to lowest: use stock EX rims, all season tires, choose a tire to minimize road noise, choose a tire for good gas mileage, choose a tire with good treadwear rating.

What I have learned/know is that I do NOT want to replace with Goodyear Wranglers (they are nearly bald after only 29k miles) and I am not excited about changing from stock tire size. Driving conditions will be mostly highway with some fire road camping trips; winter driving will be mostly rain with some minor snow.

Three questions:
Is there a good summary thread somewhere on the forum pages...or has a poll ever been done on aftermarket tire choices?
Any reason to not use the Continental CrossContact LX Sport?
Other recommendations that I should consider?

Thanks,
Richard

#2 ·
i like my general grabber all seasons. got them on stock rims at a slightly larger size and haven't had an noise issues or drivablility issues

#3 · (Edited)
Tirerack has Tire Survey Results, based on reviews from customers. A starting point for your needs is the Highway Allseason category. You can filter tires by available sizes, e.g. the stock size, or one of the sizes that are 2-4% smaller or larger. Evaluation categories include various kinds of traction, noise, and tire wear. No reports on gas mileage.

Some people place more trust in reviews by EOC members, but I don't. I've had 4 different tires on my E since 2003, and don't consider myself to be an expert. Nor can I say that the tires I currently have are better than ones that I haven't tried.

Manufacturers also have tables or graphs comparing their tire models, indicating which of their tires are better for treadwear, or for mud traction , or what ever. Most tires also have a treadwear rating, a number like 400 or 700. The higher the number the greater the expected wear. Their treadwear warranty is also an indicator. Snow tires and super sticky ones don't have a treadwear rating, because buyers value the traction over wear.

Consumer Reports periodically tests various categories of tires. Tirerack does some of their own testing, but only 3-4 tire models at a time. But those are probably the most objective tests around.

Concern for how tire models and sizes affect gas mileage is a relatively recent one, at least at the retail level. However I suspect that Honda (and other auto manufacturers) take that into account when selecting stock tires. They have incentive to maximize the EPA gas mileage numbers. So I doubt if any new tires will do better than the old ones. I don't recall anyone reporting a noticeable improvement in mileage when the changed tires.

#5 ·
After reading the extensive review of the General Grabber HTS by ApriliaGuy in this forum and after speaking with a Honda Service rep who owned an Element and spoke highly of the Grabber tire I chose the blackwall Grabber HTS 215/70R/16 for my EX AWD on stock rims.

They are definitely quieter than the old Wrangers that were replaced...too early to give a more thorough review.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.