Honda Element Owners Club banner

check engine light

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kerkhtr 
#1 ·
Just bought a new 04 Element. As I prepared to drive off the lot, the check engine light came on. I turned around and asked the salesperson to look into it. He kept the car and service replaced the oxygen sensor. Upon picking up the car, I noticed that the service tech had put 50 miles on the vehicle, but the light was out. When I arrived home the next day from picking up the car, the light was back on. It stayed on for @ 60 miles, then went out on its own. It has stayed unlit, with an intervening fueling (car tightened 3 clicks), for @ 300 miles. Has anyone else experienced this kind of event?

#2 ·
No, haven't seen it.

But, there is one common reason it might come on: if you don't close the gas cap all the way, the light can come on. Might be that they never tightened the cap before selling you the car...

...or let's just hope that's it.

-brendan

#4 ·
Mine is on b/c I'm due my 30K. :)

As for the Service Dept. guy putting 50 miles on your NEW E the day you purchased it?! :shock: What was up with that? Did you ask why it took 50 miles, that you didn't get the luxury of driving, to figure out what the issue was??

Dude, I feel that is just wrong!!! :evil:

#5 ·
I would say that the 50 miles was to "see" if the lite would come back on....
Not unusual considering that when codes are clear the "brain" goes back to base one.....and the last test is verify the repair...........
(I work on cars and that's what I would guess the deal is)

#6 ·
Sounds like a tech went joy-riding in your Element. This happens a lot more times than dealerships want to admit. I would go back to that dealer and find out what is going on. Oxygen sensors do not go out on a vehicle that is brand new. Or at least, they shouldn't...

#7 ·
This is a reply to all the helpful and supportive comments I received regarding the 'check engine' light. It hasn't come back on in the last 600 miles, so it appears that the vacuum system is working properly. The dealer did replace the oxygen sensor immediately (after 1 mile on the odo), but the light re-lit the next day. When I asked about the mileage, they said that the tech drove the car and did many start-stops to see if the problem was corrected. I'll continue to keep my eye on the gauges and hope that the problem is corrected.
BTW the rear cargo mat accessory has kept all the junk where it belongs, rather than sliding around all over the interior - a good purchase. However, the complicated mounting devices for the plastic hood air deflector that came without instructions had to go to the dealer for mounting - and a hefty $48.00 charge. BUT, lovebug season in Fla. is approaching, so the acid test is about to begin. Thanks again, y'all. tk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.