Honda Element Owners Club banner

Can you tell if a vehicle has synthetic oil in it?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Alaskan_Toaster 
#1 ·
No, not my E, ran synthetic since her first OC. Friends car, they have left country and want to do some maintenance on their Suby while they're gone. 132K, so want to make sure what kind. Don't think he's a synthetic oil type person, but am not sure. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!! :shock: :roll: 8)

#2 ·
good question, I just did some googling for my own curiosity. Most replies say that there's no easy way to tell after it's been running in the engine.

one interesting reply:
Drain a little bit out and put it in the freezer overnight.
If it pours like thick gear lube its conventional.
If it pours easy and fast, synthetic.

I also read a bunch of replies that the switch from between conventional and synthetic and the harm it can do is mostly a myth with recent engines.

I would just use synthetic to be safe. Or ask them. If they don't know, it's conventional.

#5 · (Edited)
You didn't indicate the year/model, so check at Subaru's website for the recommended oil weight ( http://www.subaru.com/owners/resource-center/owners-manuals/index.html).
Look in the "Maintenance and Service" chapter.

Unlike Honda :x, Subaru maintains owner's manuals online for models all the way back to year 2000 - no login needed.

This winter looks to be colder than average north of the Canadian border. If I lived in Alaska, I'd err on the side of an oil that has better cold-flow characteristics, using a name brand synthetic, and installing an engine block heater for overnight parking at home. I'd also clean the primary electrical connections to the battery and chassis, and evaluate the charging system.

#6 · (Edited)
You didn't indicate the year/model, so check at Subaru's website for the recommended oil weight
It's an '06 :)

This winter looks to be colder than average north of the Canadian border. If I lived in Alaska, I'd err on the side of an oil that has better cold-flow characteristics, using a name brand synthetic, and installing an engine block heater for overnight parking at home.
Wouldn't have an issue with synthetic, but, they are on an EXTREMELY tight budget, and I don't think it's a real prospect (if they don't already use it, the reason for the thread). Don't want to change at this type of mileage and force them to spend more..... :-( :shock: :razz:

Thanks for the replies!! :razz: 8) 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.