Honda Element Owners Club banner

rear differential

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GIR 
#1 ·
i have had my e for 6 months all of the sudden the rear differential goes, and then my dealership tells me this part this part is on back order. is this a common problem. rear diffs dont go w/ 20000 miles on them

#2 ·
nadleto said:
i have had my e for 6 months all of the sudden the rear differential goes, and then my dealership tells me this part this part is on back order. is this a common problem. rear diffs dont go w/ 20000 miles on them
Sorry to hear your part is backordered. Give this thread a read: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21912

We've been discussing a problem where over time 4wd Elements start making odd noises and shuddering a bit when making sharp, slowspeed turns like pulling into a parking space. It seems to happen as early as 20,000 miles (as my 2004 did) The fix from the dealer has been to replace the differential fluid, although the documented replacement interval is every 5yrs or 90,000 miles.

I had been thinking that maybe the fluid or the differential were problematic, hence the early fluid breakdown... Keep us up on anything yoiu find out as you get the differential replaced on your E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.