Honda Element Owners Club banner

Rear differential oil

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Spam16v 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to change the oil in the rear differential and was wondering if anybody had found that one quart filled the differential instead of the 1.1. I find it kinda of irritating to have to buy the additional qt. for such a small amount. Anybody regret buying the additional qt?

#4 ·
Having just bought 2 qts for MY dif change, I understand your question, but, is it worth not spending $5-$7 "extra" versus possibly causing damage to your differential?
IMHO it's WELL worth the extra couple of $$ spent.

#5 ·
I'm going to buy the extra qt. today just to make sure. Having replaced gear oil in outboards, motorcycles, cars etc., I have found that occasssionally I didn't need as much as I thought. Better to have it on hand if I need it. Does opened (but sealed) oil go bad over the years? I don't anticipate using the extra oil for a couple of years.

#8 · (Edited)
I have always just put 1.0 quart back in. I never have had any issues with the pump, in my old CRV, and the E. I think the .1 quart is a brilliant marketing scheme. I will test this 1.0 qt. theory out for all of you!

Ironically, I just changed the fluid last weekend. Rear differential should be totally useless by weeks end with just 1.0 quart.

*update*
btw, I used AprilliaGuy's method with the funnel and clear tubing as seen here:http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29533 Worked very well, not a drop wasted doing this. Thanks AprilliaGuy!

I change the RDF every 27,000 miles. Seems to produce the familiar "full turn to the left or right, drive slowly in parking lot howl" at very close to this milage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.