Honda Element Owners Club banner

Cheapskate camping gear- sleeping gear

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  madkins007 
#1 ·
MAJOR disclaimer- this stuff is for the typical weekend, mild weather car camper- what most of us do most of the time. If you are doing colder weather, backpacking, or so forth, some of the ideas may help, but it is not aimed for you.

These ideas have been refined through years of use by me, my family, our Scout troop, and others I have camped with.

SLEEPING BAG. Make yourself a cheap 3-bag system.
- Main bag is an inexpensive (Coleman, Slumberjack, etc.) large washable nylon rectangular bag good to about 40F.
- Secondary bag would be a snuggly fleece bag that can also be used as a camp robe, solo bag on nicer weather, etc.
- Liner bag that is just an old soft sheet either with a zipper or partly sewn along the bottom and part of a side. This keeps the bag clean and also can be used by itself on warmer nights.
- Mix and match the bags as needed. Wearing PJs or sweats, socks or booties, being in a tent or car, and having tent mates adds a lot of warmth to the ratings.
- Buy or make it as you need it. If your first campout is a summer trip, do a sheet and the fleece bag, then add the other bag later.
- If it IS going to get cooler, get another fleece or 40F bag to stick in the first bag.

PILLOW. Find a cheap smallish polyester-fill pillow (Quallofill is nice) with a soft case, or use a soft stuff sack and fill with a jacket.

SLEEPING PAD. Coleman and other 'less expensive' 'self-inflating' camping pads are good compromises between cost, weight, volume, comfort, warmth, and ease of use. Some of them are pretty slippery. Take some shelf non-skid liner and sew it in a band that wraps around the mat, like the protective sleeve of a Starbucks cup. (Note, as a big guy, I need to note that the bigger you are, the thicker the pad needs to be for comfort. Consider using two pads or even a cot if needed.)

If you are staying in the E, you have a few options-
- make a great 'seats out' mat out of several layers of 1-2" (depending on your weight) thick foam. Use firm foam on the bottom, soft in the middle, and medium on top for best results. Tuck a sheet all around them, or take the time to sew a decent fitted cover.
- use an airbed (full should be a snug fit, twin might fit better)
- fold the seats flat and use pretty much any thickish mat or pad on them as is, just to level things out a bit.

One of the great joys of camping is to get the whole family in the back of the car (ours was a van back then) on a comfy pad, sharing a bunch of opened up sleeping bags as blankets. Telling them stories as they fall asleep one by one...

PAJAMAS. I like wearing sweats or a t and gym shorts, depending on the season- something I can run to the restroom in, or wear early to get a fire started. Socks, gloves, a scarf, and a cap will really help on chillier nights. Acrylic PJs are also usually warm and cheap from the thrift shop.

STORAGE. Carry all of this in a cheap duffle bag (ours are color-coded by user) instead of stuff bags. If it may rain or get wet, line the duffle with a plastic trash bag.

When you get it home, wash it if needed, dry well, and store it all, even the duffle, in a cotton pillowcase and hang it somewhere dry, or use a vacuum bag to store everything. Lavender is said to help induce sleepiness, so consider using a little of it in the storage bag.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.