Honda Element Owners Club banner

The Return of the Element

57K views 126 replies 72 participants last post by  ADDchild 
#1 ·
I received a message this evening from a very very reliable source, that Honda WILL bring back the Element. This is not a joke or spam. Due to numerous complaints of it being discontinued Honda decided to bring it back. As I find out more details I will pass them on.

#2 · (Edited)
WOw Garry I hope this is true !

The wife and I have been stressing over what we are going to replace our Elements with, when the time comes.

We are ( have been looking ) at every new SUV that the industry puts out. Even KIA, bite my tong !

Honda has nothing in the current lineup, that fits our lifestyle as well as the Element does. I have driven the Fords, as nice as they are, It's just not an Element. Nothing that GM is offering is worth looking at. So it has been a quest to find something that will work for us.

Dom

P.S. How are things with the family ? Hope all is well. Tell your Mom Hello for me !

#6 ·
Hey Dom,
Everyone is doing good.I'm in Dallas on a project (with my E of course) when I got the message. I asked for permission before I posted and I was cleared to do so. From what I read its a done deal just waiting for the official announcement. My moms neighbor has the new CRV, not impressed at all.

#4 ·
That would be a bit of good news. Ferris Buller should have driven an Element in the Super Bowl ad instead of a CRV. If Honda would have commited to advertising the Element like they have with the CRV, then we probably all would not be having this conversation. Forget about saving Ferris...Save the Element.

#5 ·
If true, that's nice. However, I have a Ben Franklin right here that says a MT will not be available. I suspect our next vehicle will be the Dodge version of the Fiat Ducato, slated for MY2013, if they offer it with MT.

#12 ·
You are probably right about no MT. I have driven a lot of manual transmission cars since the 70's, and the my Element 5 Speed is a lot of fun to drive. MT is a must have for my vehicle. For a 4 cyl SUV type vehicle, it will really get up and go from when the light changes to green. Some people complain about the low cargo weight capacity, but that is probably just Honda's lawyers being conservative. The CRV is rated at twice the cargo weight capacity as the Element, and it is built on the same basic platform. It has something to do with the higher roof on the Element. I thought the Element might get blown around somewhat in high winds, but with its VSA/Traction Control, that has not been the case. Anyone remember driving a 60's VW Beetle on a very windy day. My old 67 used to get blown all over the road on the highway. You really had to pay attention when you were driving in those conditions.

Just an opinion, but Honda may have missed some sales in the commercial market. On the way home from work the other day, I passed a caravan of Three Chevy HHR's with a logo of a pest control company on the side. They were the panel van style with no windows on the side. The HHR can't have any more cargo weight capaicty then the Element, and it has much more headroom, and cargo space. I read the other day that Nissan was introducing a new High Roof Van type vehicle for the commercial market. The Element already is a high roof vehicle. The Element already has rubber floor mats, so dirty carpets in the vehicle are not a problem.

It wasn't for commmrcial use, but a while back I had to pick up box of hardwood flooring wood at a place called Lumber Liquidators. You back up to their loading area and they help you load you purchace in your vehicle. I had my passanger seats (front and back) folded down and slid the box on top of the seats and closed the rear hatch. A guy was parked next to me in a mini van and he was securing his rear hatch with rope because because his boxes would not fit. He looked at my Element parked next to his minivan and asked how in the world did you fit that box in that vehicle and close the hatch when it was obviously not any longer than his van. I showed him how the Element seats fold down to make a bed for cargo, camping etc.. He thought it was cool since he had removed his rear seats to make room for his boxes of hardwood. No rope required that day in the Element.

#7 ·
I was checking out a new CRV in the parking lot the other day and noticed that the lift-gate design was conducive the the Elements clam-shell design. i HOPE THE DESIGN OF THE NEW eLEMENT FOLLOWS THAT OF THE pILOT AND rIDGELINE.

#8 ·
Sounds great, but, I SINCERELY hope they don't follow the design path they've been on for the last few years - boring, lacking style and looking like everyone else's.....:shock: :roll:

#9 ·
I heard on NPR this morning that HOnda slipped from the top of the COnsumer Reports rankings this year, with Subaru taking top prize. Mostly they were bashed over the new Civic but you can guess Honda won't take losing their crown lightly...what this means for the future of the E I don't know but safe to say Honda will shake things up to get back on top and hopefully that means opening their eyes to what they were planning to let go.

#11 ·
I keep getting letters in the mail asking if Honda can buy my 2008 back!

#13 ·
ya know. Ive done better advertising then honda ever did for an element.

and I do every time I go to home depot or lowes.

many people are amazed at all the stuff you can fit. aside from towing a bobcat my E does everything I could with an F350. with added security. and comfort

the E should be campaigned as a flower shop or other mini delivery. maybe even offer a panel truck option.

but seriously its like a clown car when I unload my tools.

just yesterday. the home depot guy helped me load up........

A bath tub,wall kit,toilet,vanity,sink,mirror, and 7 4X8 boards of sheetrock.

and every time I try. people always start with it will never fit. then they eat their words heheeheeh

the rear didnt even sag.

#16 ·
#17 ·
I hope they not redesign it to much. I saw an article that was published a couple of weeks ago called the Top 10 Cars That Mechanics Hate. They reason they hate them is because they are so reliable, and don't generate much repair revenue. Guess what vehicle made the #1 spot. Reading that article might make one contemplate going out and purchasing this ultra reliable versitale vehicle. To bad they can't go to the dealership and buy a new one anymore.

Link to Article here:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/243571/483/Kens-Top-10-Cars-Mechanics-Hate

The guys over at the Ford camp are taking their Transit Connect and running with it as a vehicle for small business. http://www.ford.com/trucks/transitconnect/

The one advantage the Transit Connect has is a load capacity of over 1600 pounds. They Elememt probably does too, but not according to Honda. The Element and Transit Connect are (were) priced about the same, and both have comparable fuel economy. The Transit Connect has a smaller 2.0 Liter engine. On the passanger Transit Connect, you can sit Three passangers in the back if they are not Three large people. They are small cramped seats and do not have the cupholders like the Element does. Another Element advantage is a tailgate if you are hauling something long that has to stick out the back.

Honda could make an Element for the commercial market like Ford is doing and call it the Element EXC, with the C being for commercial. To keep costs down they could shorten the arm rests and go with wind up window and skip the power mirrors. A Two speaker basic radio would probably suffice. Sell this vehicle for $20,000 or less and you would probably see a lot of them in commercial fleets. The one non mechanical thing the Element has over the Transit Connect is personality. People that own them love them.

#19 ·
Did Honda finally get a wake up call?

Honda may have finally gotten a wake up call. I just received my April 2012 issue of Consumer Reports and Honda was knocked out of 1st place (after 4 years) by Subaru as the maker of the Best Cars. They are now in fourth place after Subaru, Mazda and Toyota.

#22 ·
That is really great news if it turns out to be true.Like other's have pointed out though if Honda does bring the Element back what will it be like ? Hopefully incorporating at least some of the original / unique design ideas that make Element's what they are.

#23 ·
I'm sure it will be just as utilitarian, if not more than what we currently have, which is one of the reasons I'm still loving the E and still driving it.

As for changes, I hope they'll give it at least 180 horsepower, tune the suspension for stability, and that's it.

#24 ·
I heard this news this back in 2010 when we bought ours. A couple
of different dealers had mentioned then that the Element was going to be discontinued and that a replacement vehicle (for that slot) would come out in 2013, but it may or may not be called "Element".

#25 ·
I have always said for the Element to remain in the market it needs to increase it's utility and forget the plush extras.

As we saw with the last years of the E things like the Navi-system were left out. The first few years of the Element you could get the classic Honda DX package that left out the AC but I believe they still had power windows.

Nissan is releasing the NV200 which is a Ford Transit Connect competitor and will likely be a big hit.

I don't think Honda will ever truly get into the commercial market but for some small businesses the E is a great option for them.

#26 ·
The first few years of the Element you could get the classic Honda DX package that left out the AC but I believe they still had power windows.
My 2003 DX had no AC, no stereo, no fog lights, no arm rest, no alloy wheels, no rear power outlet, no roof rack, no carpet or floor mats, and there's probably other options or EX items that were excluded that I'm not aware of. I'm not sure how many of these omissions were things that were options when the original owner bought it that he declined or were just the way it came when you got a DX.

Anyway, I agree with you that the appeal to me for the car was how utilitarian is is - easy to clean, lots of room, easy to reconfigure or remove rear seats, seat fabric that doesn't stain or get smelly etc. Some of the above omissions I had to rectify as I couldn't deal with out them (radio, roof rack) and others I have chosen to add either for aesthetic reasons and/or because I eventually have become obsessed with the car and like to do stuff to it that really isn't necessary in the big scheme of life.

Hopefully whatever they come up with for the "new" E will be the same body style and won't lose sight of the utilitarian nature of the "classic" E. The Jeep CJ comes to mind - my first car was a '79 CJ-5 (bought new for $6,800!) and it was the ultimate utility vehicle - metal floors with drain plugs for easy cleaning, no radio, no AC, no power steering, no power nothing - just a simple, functional 4WD vehicle with amazing turning radius. AMC was bought out in the mid-80's and pretty soon the "new CJ" came out (I can't remember if it was GM or Chrysler)...carpets, AC, power everything...they went more mainstream on it, presumably trying to appeal to a larger audience and as a result they ruined an American classic IMO. I'd like to think Honda has enough sense to understand what folks like about the E and keep it that way. They have enough SUV and soccor mom-esque vehicles already in their fleet, so hopefully they won't try to squeeze the E through that mold as well.

#27 ·
Until official word comes from Honda themselves any word of the Elements return is just speculation.

I highly doubt Honda is going to out the funds into developing a new E after sales dropped as low as they did in the final years of production.

If anything you will see a new model with almost none of the Elements design features with a new name and will be designed to be sold in global markets.

With the Ridgelines future in doubt, the Crosstour being a joke and a the Civic getting a quick redo this fall i won't be holding my breath on seeing a new E anytime soon.

#28 ·
That is great news...if it"s true. I have always loved my E but I have decided when I pay it off I'm going to get a Ridgeline, I want something a little more rugged with more power. The Ridgeline can do everything the E can do (well for me anyways). It will be a sad day for me when it comes but I will always love the E and smile when I see one. I will always be in the Honda family with my cars because they're the best :grin:

#31 ·
Please be true.

My wish list for the next Element.

1. Take the V6, 6-speed combo in the upcoming Acura RDX. It's 273 HP with increase mileage over the current Element would be NICE.

2. Keep the styling boxy, short, tall.

3. Lean back the front windshield so looking at traffic lights is easier.

4. Front to Rear sky roof.

#32 · (Edited)
The Element will most likely receive Honda's new Earth Dreams 2.4-litre, 16-valve DOHC i-VTEC four-cylinder engine, good for at least 181 horsepower and 177lb-ft of torque. This is the same engine that will be found on Honda's 2013 Accord. It will most likely be paired with a CVT too, as the Accord will.

A V6 is close to impossible. If it's not even on the CR-V, there's no point having a V6 in the E. What are you going to do with that much horsepower? Go racing?

:|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.