Honda Element Owners Club banner

What kind of bike do you ride?

198K views 890 replies 374 participants last post by  JackG 
#1 ·
I just started mountain biking and have been using an old school mongoose switchback that I had when I was in high school. I was wondering what kind of bikes all of you guys ride and what kind of riding do you do the most?

#2 ·
Have a Specialized Hard Rock ultra mountain and a TREK navigator Hybrid/comfort bike that I ride the most. Ride mostly on pavement. We have a trail thru the woods and near the river that is paved and is a good ride that I try to do every day. From my house and back it is about 7.5 miles.
(google -Tar River Trail.

u

#3 ·
I've been a roadie for over 35 years. My current stable includes a late 80's vintage Serotta steel road bike, an early-90's vintage Kestrel road bike that was set up for time trials and triathlons (back in the day when I raced), and a Cannondale hardtail mountain bike. I tried to do the off-road thing. It was a thrill for a couple of years, but found that the older I get, the harder it is to recover from all the crashes. Now the mountain bike is used primarily for winter and bad weather rides, and only occasionally do I hit the singletrack. I'd say over 90% of my riding is on the road.

My next bike will probably be a singlespeed.

#10 ·
I am a roadie too...and sooo jealous that you have a serotta! I just toured their factory in Saratoga because my dream bike when I am rich is going to be a custom built just for me Serotta. I have a pieced together hybrid that my friend and I built...the frame is a denali gmc, upgraded shimano deraillers, clipless pedals, new tires, and the brake levers from an old 10 speed...I am going to change the handlebar and the shifters one of these days if I don't hit the lottery. She gets special living space in my dining room

I have a cheesy schwinn MTB for bad weather, commuting to work, running errands, and winter riding...she does the job and she's pink!

I am officially jealous of all the people with really nice bikes, but my car payment keeps me poor!

#7 ·
I've got a Kona Nunu that I picked up about 10 years ago, prior to that was a Jamis who-knows-what that I bought in middle school with money I made one summer. I haven't ridden any serious single track or downhill in probably eight years so the Kona hasn't seen much trail time but that Jamis had a lot of miles on it.

There was a ski slope near where I grew up (Blue Marsh Ski Resort) that a buddy of mine was friends with one of the grounds keepers. In the summer the guy used to let us haul our bikes up the slopes and ride downhill on the ski runs. This was all of course back before wearing a helmet became a big deal so we were riding downhill with nothing but our shorts and t-shirts. Ah, the stupid stuff you'll do when you're a kid.

#17 ·
solorider nice kona! I want a kona cindercone like none other! Loving the elements with all the bikes loaded up on the roof rack. the single track by my house is about 9.5 miles long. its got a lot of rough terrain. i havent ate it too bad yet but my guess is that its just a matter of time.

#18 ·
What else, and ELEctra

I have an old Raleigh SC40 comfort bike I haven't ridden for quite a while, did commute to work, 20 mi round trip. But now I have an Electra Townie 24. I'm at the age where "flat foot" technology is appreciated. I use it to run errands in town, fun rides, (doing the Midnight Madness ride in San Diego Aug. 16th), exercise the dog.

Attachments

#20 ·
Mountain biking? It's never been my thing because I'd have to drive a few miles. There's something about riding right out my front door and returning the same way that I like; so i am a dedicated roadie.

I have a 2005 Giant OCR C2, which is the first bike I've ever ridden over a hundred miles in a day. All carbon, and very comfy. I get to ride at work, too!:D My work bikes are a Schwinn Tempo, circa 1982; a Novarra Metro; and another Novarra I picked off the curb but needs new tires.

Whatever you own, it's the actual riding that matters.:smile:

#21 ·
Trek 4300

Not mine, but I rode it 350 miles last week in Ireland. It is a Trek 4300 disc brake hardtail with the stock knobby tires replaced with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.50s. The only thing that is mine are the SPD campus pedals. See => http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24177 for more member's bikes.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Trek Fuel on Mt. St. Helens

Pic of me on the Fuel, riding the Plains of Abraham Trail on St. Helens. Also ride a Cannondale Prophet, a Surly 1X1 (the "workhorse" of the fleet), and a Trek 1200 road bike. Prefer Mountain to road, but like both.

Mountain bike Outdoor recreation Vehicle Recreation Plant community

Now get out and ride! :cool:

GF

#24 ·
Giant Excursion (early 1990's); mostly roads and bike paths. Haven't really gone out on it in a while, but hope springs eternal, etc. Also have a 30-year old Sears Free Spirit with two of its three gears left.

#26 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forums. I recently got back into mountain biking after taking 8 years off. I have the GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc Brakes which I bought on sale for a really great deal. It's a hardtail. Can't afford full suspension :-( I just take the front wheels off and stick it in the back of the E with the seats up and the handlebars facing towards the back. Fits 2 in there perfectly.

**Yal have some nice bikes!**

#27 ·
I am in the same club as Jedi, a nice Trek 830(probably from the same year). Nothing says old school like a nice chromolly frame! It is a good general beater with a few updates here and there.

I also have a Cannondale R2000 for when I am out for a ride. This one has been nicely equiped with an Easton ec50 carbon fork. I just wish I had the funds for a wheel upgrade.:sad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.