Honda Element Owners Club banner

Clear Marker Questions

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Westy_ 
#1 · (Edited)
I was thinking about getting clear side markers but I don't know where to purchase them.

Also, I've done a little reading and I've noticed that a few people have problems with them; they get water in them and the chrome wears off very easily.

There was an article about using an oven to remove the colour from the headlights, will this work for the side markers too?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I was thinking about getting clear side markers but I don't know where to purchase them.
Ebay. Roughly 25 dollars.

Also, I've done a little reading and I've noticed that a few people have problems with them; they get water in them and the chrome wears of very easily.
I've read this too. I have the chrome trim ones... no problems yet (but it's only been about 2 months or so). Safe way to go is to get the ones with black trim (apparently).

There was an article about using an oven to remove the colour from the headlights, will this work for the side markers too?
Unfortunately no. The headlights have an amber piece which you can remove. For the side markers, the amber piece is the lens so if you take it off, you wont have a cover anymore : )~ A popular item to pair with the clear sidemarkers is chrome bulbs which are amber bulbs that have the mirror coating. You can them on ebay or other bulb retailers. Ebay tends to overcharge for them (I've seen 10 bucks for a pair, way too expensive). Its a nice and easy mod. Takes 10 minutes if you take your time. All you need is a small flathead screwdriver wrapped in a terry cloth (to protect the paint) and patience. Another thing you may want to consider doing is painting the plastic bulb holder. When you go with clear markers, you see the off-white base which isn't too attractive. Leave the old bulbs in and paint it whatever color you wish (I decided on black with an NBP E) and let dry. Take out the old bulbs and you're all set to go.

#3 ·
whichever aftermarket sidemarkers you get they'll most likely leak. They're all make cheap and the lens isn't sealed very well. I've had both the chrome trim ones and the black trim ones and they're about the same.

if you want to fix them what most have done is pop out the lens and re-seal it with some type of clear sealant.

#4 ·
I've had the chrome trim ones from ebay in for almost two years. They've made it through a northeast winter and two summers w/o a leak. They fogged up once two or three days after install. I didn't insert the socket into the sidemarker the right way. If I remember right...I think one of the tabs on the socket is larger than the other three. There is only one slot on the original sidemarker that this tab will fit into. On the clear sidemarker the large tab fit all the slots. At least it did on mine. There are also two tabs(I think) that have notches that line up with protrusions in the side marker itself. After reinstalling in what I believe to be the correct way they have never fogged up again. I don't know if others have actually had leaks or just fogging problems but I think mine is fixed.
This is what they look like.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35654

#5 ·
JayRPHT said at our element gathering last week that he took the lens out of the clear side markers and "resealed" them with aquarium sealant/glue. He hasn't had any leaks since doing that.

#20 · (Edited)
JayRPHT said at our element gathering last week that he took the lens out of the clear side markers and "resealed" them with aquarium sealant/glue. He hasn't had any leaks since doing that.
Resurrecting this old thread as I didn't see how exactly this was to be done. I have the black edged clear side markers from e-bay. Should i try to heat them (ala clearing the headlight turn signal) before pulling apart or simply try to carefully pry them apart without heat? I can't tell if there are any tabs, etc. where the lens is connected to the body of the side marker.

Edit: Found this in another thread:

"......About 10-12 minutes in a damp towel on a cookie sheet at 250 degrees. Pry apart carefully, fix 'em up and glue back together with your choice of clear waterproof sealant. Be careful with the sealant because if it is uneven, thicker or thinner in places, it will show as an uneven line around the exterior of the side marker (as I found out).

I didn't have a problem with melting, but I almost cracked one of the clear lenses and had to reheat. Take it easy and be careful of scratching the clear plastic with whatever you are using to pry it apart."

#7 ·
Check Petsmart or Home depot for aquarium glue.

#12 ·
I have those exact ones on my 06...
Can you see the bulb. Like mine.
Automotive lighting Headlamp Light Automotive exterior Grille

I have been looking for a set that has clear reflector type lenses.
Is that what you have?
It's hard to tell from your pictures and the ebay picture.

#16 ·
It's probably not the best price with shipping, but this is where I got mine.http://www.xenonmods.com/
If you decide to buy from somewhere else and see a chrome coated amber illuminating 7528 let me know. I can't find them anywhere.
After clearing the headlights and adding chrome bulbs on the Element my wife
now wants the same done to her 2006 Civic.

#17 ·
Went to Majestic Honda's webpage and according to the parts breakdown ,

OEM # for 03 are 1095653 and 1095654
OEM # for 04 are 1777066 and 1777067
OEM #'s are the same for 05-07 2047305 and 2047306

So I don't see how they will fit 03-06 E's. Can some one out there please explain to me. Thanks

#19 ·
Anyone tried this - lens swap

In reading this thread it prompted me to open the ones I got with my headlights. Clear lens (no texture like the OEM one) but chrome trim around the outside edge, yuk!

So here's my thought - can I pop the lens out of the new ones and put in the OEM back? I thought about painting the chrome but that would probably come off. And does anyone know if you can do the heat trick on these to loosen up the sealant and then reseal with aquarium seal as suggested above?

#21 ·
I just ran super glue Extra Time into the seam of mine. Havent had a problem yet it and its been easily 6-8 months now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.