Honda Element Owners Club banner

New guy - initial price quote questions and locating questions

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cfbales 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've been lurking around and there really is a lot of information and seems like a great community. I'm thinking of buying a 2005 2wd ex manual and of course am having trouble locating exactly the one i'd like.

I have spoken with a dealer and received this quote:

Here is you price quote-$19,404.86 this includes Splash
Guards, Wheel Locks, 3 Year Astroglaze Paint Protection, Cargo Tray(this is
valued at $995.00 your discounted price of $500.00 and shipping cost because we have to get it from out of state. There are no manual elements in state.

Then I spoke with them again, and was told there was a 350 "delivery" fee, and the 399 dealer docking fee (i think thats what she called it).

In any case, I realize that isn't the best price, but before i start negotiating I have a few questions.

I read in another thread to shoot for 18100 for a 2wd EX stick. Now this of course is including no additional options, and when i shoot for this price is this including everything except tax, tag, and title? Should I expect to be charged a "locating" or "transport" or dealer docking fee on top of that?

Forgive my noobish questions. This will be my first new car purchase. Everything i've driven to this point has been a lemon lot/classified ad special :roll: I feel confident in making negotiations and getting a price I like, however I am not familiar with extra ways to sneak in "fees" etc that dealers are known to try.

Thanks all!

Robert

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that "delivery" fee and dealer docking fee are bogus. The legitimate charge called the destination fee will be on the sticker itself. They probably would have to trade with another dealer to get the car you want, but I've never heard of them charging for it. Also, that 3 year Astroglaze paint protection is a waste of money. It's really nothing more than a wax job. The wheel locks ($29.95), splash guards ($62.40), and cargo tray ($75.60) would total about $167.95 so they're not giving you a "discount" when they're offering it to you for $500. I got those prices from http://www.handaaccessories.com/ They are a sponser of the site and great to deal with. I won't be much help with the price of the car I'm afraid, I'm sure someone else will respond though. Good luck! :)

#3 ·
Welcome to the group. You will learn a lot by reading the posts and posting your questions (I sure did).

I don't know where you are located or how many Honda dealers are in your area but I would get email quotes from as many dealers as you can and don't bother with any options unless the dealer is willing to match what you would pay HandA. The price the dealers quote should be limited to the price at delivery less State tax and license fees. EVERYTHING else, fee wise, is B.S.

BTW, my local dealer was happy to match the lowest quote and saved me a 60+ mile drive. All I had to do was ask.

Good luck and hold out for the color and equipment you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.