Honda Element Owners Club banner

CV joint ?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  RAC506 
#1 ·
I let the 17 year old "borrow" my baby this weekend . I know , I know but he is generally a good kid.
Monday morning , after pulling the palm fronds out of the front tag , I'm off to work. I am headed up a slight incline on the highway and start to lose power and hear a "whirling" sound from the passenger front area(underneath).So now under any hard acceleration I get this whirl and the AT finally clunks it in to gear. I'm thinking outboard cv joint . What do you folks think?
:confused:
P.S. He should be able to sit by this weekend

#5 ·
Yep. Transmission. CVJ failure would be solid, and quite noisy.

My edu-guess is that the first gear clutch is toast (aforementioned neutral drops). Try starting-off in second and see if that at least lets you limp around until you've bankrolled enough of his allowance to pay for the new transmission.

:-(

#7 ·
Yes, the transmission would be intermittent. It's sounding to me like a burnt selector clutch. As soon as you put a real load on it, like up a hill or accelerating semi-hard, it's going to slip. Fortunately, in terms of on-road driving, by your description of the problem it seems to just be first gear, which you will almost never engage above ~25 mph.

Keep us posted!

#8 · (Edited)
Just a side note, any 17 year old that treats an E badly doesn't appreciate the E for what it's worth :p jk. I'm 17 and have been paying for my E since I started my first job at 15.

I get really antsy even when my Mom takes it for a spin. First thing I ask her upon her return, "Did you grind anything?"

:rolleyes:

Anyway, it really does sound like a tranny issue. Did you ever get to the bottom of what the youngin did with the car when he had it out?

#10 · (Edited)
You will have to weld the converter onto the head pipe. I don't know if the outlet comes with the flange and if not you will have to cut the old one of the old converter and weld it on the new one and thats held on the exhaust with bolts. Check the axle nut on the spindle and see of ther is rust around it. The wirring sound could be the splines are shot going through the spindle. If the CV went bad there would be a torn boot. Like the others said it also could be the trans. Get the exhaust fixed first to see if the crushed converter was causung a back pressure problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.