Honda Element Owners Club banner

Trouble starting Element- battery or something else?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  siclmn 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a 2005 Element which I purchased used in spring 2011 (with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty). I know with the warranty I will be able to have it looked at, for a $200 "copay", but thought I would check here first.

I love, love this car. It has about 132,000 miles on it and has until very recently given me no problems at all. About a month ago the maintenance required light came on and has stayed on. The car also has been having trouble starting, with starting being more difficult if the car has not been sitting very long (after running into the store for 5 minutes, etc) Starting after it has been sitting all night still is sluggish, but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries if the car has been turned off for a short while. My husband thought it was just the battery, so we had it checked at Auto Zone, and there is plenty of juice left in it. The battery terminals were a little coroded, so he cleaned those, to no avail. In the last week, I have noticed the green key light (near the maintenance required light) comes on and sometimes stays on throughout a car trip. Two days ago the red airbag light also came on and has stayed on ever since. The car runs perfectly otherwise.

We are due for an oil change, and I am planning to have that done two days from now. Does anyone have any ideas on what we can try that won't cost me the $200, or should I just give in and have this checked out? I want to keep my Element running for a looooong time. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
not to sound offensive but if your wanting your E to stay around a long time, yet warning lights and such have gone unchecked for about a month, thats a contradiction. Make sure to fill out your location so people here may be able to help more in depth with mechanics or local info.

You should be able to check the codes for free at auto zone. Im sure there may be a way to check them from the dash with a series of ignition key turns but ive personally never had to do that on my 07.

In comparison the green light will stay on in my 07 when the oil is due to be changed BUT the dash configuration and options on it changed in 07 so they are NOT the same as the prior years. There is a series of "warnings" and a dash light flash that starts prior to the green light with the wrench being on. Thats telling me im over due for an oil change, it went off last night as a matter of fact but I already knew it was due.

Get the code reader and see what it says.

As per the battery, its a cute little tiny thing. Look into upgrading it to a higher output battery. Is yours the original battery? If so, its past due time to go.

#4 ·
Take it in for an oil change and make sure to request they reset the oil change reminder. That may be it.

Again with the battery is it the original factory teeny tiny battery? If so there should be a date code on it. Look into replacing it with a higher cranking larger capacity aftermarket battery.

#5 ·
I agree if the battery is over 3 years old replace it. and a larger battery fits. http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6573
If it still wont turn over the starter may be going bad. (hooray warranty) If it turns over fine but just doesn't start or if it stalls have the valves adjusted. they should have been done around 110k miles. when the maintenance minder light comes on have the oil changed and whatever else it needs (owners manual) and reset the light. (also in the owners manual) No need to keep track of when you last changed the oil cuz it does it for you.

#6 · (Edited)
My 2 cents. Is that worth anything on the internet?

The maintenance required light is a simple mileage counter. Push the reset button on the instrument cluster and hold it down while you turn on the ignition, and keep it pressed until the light goes out. It should come on as a flashing light in 7-8k miles. It should then become a solid light at 10k miles.

The starting issue and green key light is a bit more difficult and not enough information has been gathered. Battery, starter motor, and valve adjustments are certainly potential starting issues. The green key light suggests that something may be going wrong with the key immobilizer system, which ay also cause starting issues. As far as I'm concerned, a battery check at autozone may not be good enough if all they did was put a multimeter to it. It needs a load test. If the problem is not a weak or bad battery, then you. A code reader is also a good idea. May consider using the warranty after sorting put the battery and pulling codes because problems other than the battery are likely to cost you over $200.

#7 ·
Perform a search, I know I've seen other's on here with GREEN key issues. Battery, plugs, and full tune-up are all due at 110K, you have 132K; might be time for routine maintenance. Also wouldn't hurt to have the differential fluid changed.

My Autozone does a load test, I think most do, with car on to check charging system load and off to test battery load.

#11 ·
You might want to check, the $200 diagnostic might be refundable if they find out that it's not your fault, and that it's covered under warranty.

I don't know if they come back and say it's just routine maintenance, like a valve adjustment, then you may need to pay out of pocket (but again, that $200 might be put towards that).

When you say that it takes 2-3 tries to start, and that it is sluggish, does the car actually turn over in those tries, or does it not make any sound at all? The Immobilizer thing is interesting, if the immobolizer is faulty, it definitely won't start.

#12 ·
It's probably the starter. When they go bad the juice won't go through the starter and it behaves like a dead battery.
My battery is 10 years old and it's the original battery. You don't need a bigger battery unless you have added a gigawatt megatron amplifier or something like that. The stock battery has served me well for 10 years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.