Honda Element Owners Club banner

Coded my E... yeah I'm a geek

11K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  federer 
#1 ·
Many moons ago I added remote start, somewhat for convenience but mostly for safety. Problem was, the way I did it, if my remote battery ever died I'd be SOL. So I needed a backup. Got the Idea from the Transporter movie, he had to input a code on a keypad to start his car. So I installed this. Eventually I want to put an Engine Start button right next to it and get rid of the ignition lock all together.

cheers
Pierre

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Doesn't it...

I've been checking around for them and I'm not liking the price. I really want a genuine Honda but damn... I can't bring myself to pay for it. Maybe Santa will bring me one.

#11 ·
It does have an LED that lights up when the code is entered but it doesn't have a backlit display, if that's what you mean. Makes it very hard to enter the code in the dark. I think I'm gonna install an LED or something to light it up at night.

#14 ·
OK but I gotta be careful how much I show or it would defeat the purpose, then again I don't think any of yall are gonna steal it... would you?

As far as the start button goes, it's a toss up between right next to the keypad or in the column where the lock won't need to be anymore. Whadaya think?

Oh, Chasester, with the blueish dash pieces out of the way the dash is wide open, the side piece too. I didn't have to remove the part of the dash that it's mounted to.

#15 ·
Well that's your prerogative....some people invent mods to share and some invent to show but want to keep it to themselves. :)

I personally would like to do something like this for security as I'm working on making a starter button and bypassing the key all together too.

If you're not wanting to reveal how you did it, maybe you can give some pointers thru PM.

#16 ·
I'd take a look at the other mod here that moved the hazard to the other side of the shift and put the eject switch there. basically it'd put the starter button right where the hazard button is now.

How secure is it? If someone were to get the door open, would they be able to rip it out and jump a couple wires?

#19 ·
Even so. If you feel comfortable about sharing it with us, I'm sure we'd all love to see the install.
That is just freaking awesome!

PS - I think the only thing you'd be in danger about my stealing are some ideas. Especially when they're this good.:D

#20 ·
Why not keep the oem ignition switch and immobilizer? The immobilizer and steering wheel lock are great anti-theft devices; the keypad could be just another layer of security.

I'd worry about locating the starter button where the emergency flasher is. A passenger could press it while you're driving, and damage the starter and ring gear.

#25 ·
Why not keep the oem ignition switch and immobilizer? The immobilizer and steering wheel lock are great anti-theft devices; the keypad could be just another layer of security.
They are... I know... but I needed a way to leave my car running while on site and not worry. That's where it all began. One mod leads to another... isn't that how it always happens?

#21 ·
besides it being a nifty gadget, whats the point? It can easily be bypassed, & you still have to put the key in the ignition to unlock the column & enable the imobilizer right?

do you see where I'm going with this? hahahaha,

"yeah, it's cool, I use my keyfob to unlock the door, then I get it, put the key in the ignition, turn it, punch my code into my keypad & then hit my starter button to start the E....it's awesome!"

or, you could simply turn the key a little farther...kinda like you do already?:D

:-o

#22 ·
This is kinda what I was thinking. To each his own though. However, it is a clean looking install.

#24 ·
The way I set it up I don't have to use the key or the lock, the remote does everything. I did it that way on purpose cause one of our other drivers had his truck stolen while he was on site on a call. He was only a few feet away and someone jumped in and took off. If someone tries that with my E I'll be able to shut it down before it's too late. If they can figure out how to get it out of park in the first place (I've got a trick to that too). The downfall is that if the remote battery dies and I don't have my spare with me I'd be under my dash rewiring stuff to get rolling again. The keypad is only there as a backup in that scenario. I don't have to punch in the code every time I want to crank it up. Until I install a start button I do still have the start position of the lock wired up if I have to use the code lock.

does that make sense? I've had a few beers already

cheers
Pierre

#28 ·
Santa brought me my button

Ms. Santa that is. She also got me another remote kit so I can do the same to the bike and use one remote for both.

I found a much better spot for the remote receiver, it fits perfectly behind the gauge cluster. It's harder to get too and the antenna is right up top so it works from farther away . I also took the lock apart to disable the steering column lock so I didn't have to leave a key in the ign anymore, it is now just for looks.

#31 ·
I don't understand how you got past the immobilizer.
Easy, we cut Honda transponder keys. Every once in a while one gets screwed up and thrown away. Instead, I kept the key, tore it apart to get the transponder chip out of the head, programmed the chip to the car and placed it in the column close enough to the antenna.

#32 ·
That is fantastic!!! I really admire the work you put into that mod, and the fact that it looks factory. Great job!! Drew:)

#33 ·
I love it!! Dare I ask how much this mod would cost parts-wise? :rolleyes:

#34 ·
Thanks all... I was quite pleased with the way it turned out too. I gotta give props to the wifey for suggesting the original spot for the keypad.

Prices:

$64.95 remote kit
$19.95 extra transmitter
$32.95 code lock kit
$38.30 genuine Honda S2000 start button

A few bucks for a couple of relays and the black stick-on stuff that the wife got from the craft store. I already had all the stuff for the wiring. The transponder chip and programming was free for me so I can't really say what that would cost. If anyone wanted to do this I'm sure I could scrape up another bad key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.