Honda Element Owners Club banner

Geek Mod - Center Console Computer

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  SquadONE YH1 
#1 ·
"Geek Mod" :cool:

I thought I would see what everyone thought of my first "big" mod to the interior of my new 06 EX-P. I am going to be working on getting a computer into my Element with a 19" LCD monitor that can be tucked away when not needed. I work as a software developer and often times need to work while on trips or while traveling to and from different locations of substantial distance. Here is what I am planning to do and some of the concerns I have (feel free to provide some insight, cautions, etc). Inspired by SquadONE YH1's Oversized armrest center console, I am going to fabricate something similar except a portion of the inside will house a bare-bones computer.

The bare-bones computer will have an Abit motherboard with an AMD processor, onboard video, 1 GB DDR RAM, CD/DVD RW combo drive, 100 GB hard drive, a power supply and a couple low-noise cooling fans. All input/output jacks will be custom made to ensure a clean, neat look. A wireless mouse/keyboard will be used with the receiver mounted either inside the enclosure or under the front passenger seat. I have to check reception and interference before deciding. The wireless mouse and keyboard can be stowed away in the door or in the driver's side seatback bungee... or another area if I can find one that is convenient and not too obtrusive.

The monitor will be used to both compute and watch DVDs. I am thinking it might be best to mount the monitor on an arm so it can be raised up when needed and folded against the rear of the console when not in use. A protective case will wrap the monitor to protect it when it's not in use. Having the monitor centered will allow equal viewing to both passengers in the back.

Ok, so onto some of the concerns....

1. Power - Run it off the battery under the hood or use an additional battery? If you think an additional battery would be best, what are some locations where it could be placed?

2. Wiring - Is it possible to get wiring under the flooring between the front seats? Would it be better to run the wiring under the side mouldings?

3. Warranty - Would this mod void my warranty?

Thanks for any feedback!

Tango.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think this sounds cool and very ambitious. I'm not able to visualize exactly where you have in mind when you say "it might be best to mount the monitor on an arm so it can be raised up when needed". And it will be in a protective case, too? That is going to require one substantial armrest!

'Nother question: why not just utilize a high quality laptop and not install all this in your E? I would worry about the break-in temptation all that hardware would elicit in the average smash-and-run artist. This of course would also relieve any warranty worries. :D

Tess

#3 ·
Tess,

Thanks for the feedback. A laptop would definitely be an alternate route... maybe making some kind of laptop stand that could work in the back would be good... I work on a laptop all day at work and if I didn't dock it at a docking station connected to two 21" LCDs I wouldn't get anything done! :rolleyes: I like the portability but laptop screens are just too small for me to work productively on let alone watch a DVD on. Gosh, I'm such high maintenace. LOL

#5 ·
Ive considered doing something similar, except my council will house the comptuer, a head unit, 8 inch sub, storage, and cup holders of course...while providing full access to the E brake. i was just planning on having a little touch screen ...and maybe a bigger screen on the ceiling. for you though...i suggest paying alot of attention to how the arm rests/ tables on some smaller planes work. I would also look in to linear actuators. You could hit a switch and have the screen come right ouf of the arm rest. Perhaps between the e brake and passenger seat.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Just think of the possibilities with the new Verizon Wireless broadband EV-DO wireless cards, sounds tempting hmmm.

#9 ·
ShaneS said:
Just think of the possibilities with the new Verizon Wireless broadband EV-DO wireless cards, sounds tempting hmmm.

This guy with an Element created a DIY Junxion Box aka The Stompbox:

http://stompboxnetworks.com/

Once I can free up an extra $80 a month for service, I'll be doing the same!

#11 ·
Hey, that is a great. Can't wait to see your ideas. I just have a lot of wasted space, but there is plenty of room for something like that. I want to build something else because this one was just a prototype, but it is hard to find the time to do anything these days.

I personally would not want to have that in my car, considering I live in Las Vegas and it gets around 120 degrees in the summer. And it gets even hotter in the vehicle while parked in the sun, not in use. Also I too would be worried about possible theft. But that is just me.

I was thinking if you had an aftermarket filter installed in your engine bay then there would be that extra space for an extra battery to be located. Or a power converter might be another way, so you wouldn't have to add another battery. I don't see a problem with the wiring, car stereo people do it all the time, routing wires for multiple electronics. And your warranty, I see no way that it should void it. It's like a car stereo, it requires a power source to run it and that is all. It is not tied into any of the main wiring harnesses that operate your vehicle, and it does not conflict it in any way. So I wouldn't worry. Also have you considered an external hard drive that you can disconnect when you want?

Just some of my thoughts. Good luck. Post some progress pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.