Honda Element Owners Club banner

Coded my E... yeah I'm a geek

11K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  federer 
#1 ·
Many moons ago I added remote start, somewhat for convenience but mostly for safety. Problem was, the way I did it, if my remote battery ever died I'd be SOL. So I needed a backup. Got the Idea from the Transporter movie, he had to input a code on a keypad to start his car. So I installed this. Eventually I want to put an Engine Start button right next to it and get rid of the ignition lock all together.

cheers
Pierre

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
Just a couple of thoughts on this....the RF board could be replaced with an actual remote start unit for about the same cost. It would have door lock and parking light control built in along with a couple of extra channels in most cases. The main benefit would be that there would actually be a usable range on it. 120 ft is not really what I would consider range and in most cases they come with two transmitters.

As far as the transponder...there are also bypass modules available that allow you to integrate a remote start without the use of another key or chip. They simply "learn" the codes from the existing keys for lack of a better explanation.

So...you could basically do this with a remote start system and the addition of the keypad and start button. Most remote start systems have an input that will start the car when pulsed. So, punch in the code to activate the starter button, press the button to trigger the remote start and your off and running OR do a valet takeover when your exiting the vehicle and the remote start will continue to run the car anyway. The only thing that I can see that would be different is that remote start systems are usually only programmable for a 1 hour max run time which I cannot see why you would want to let your vehicle idle for that long anyway....on the job or not. Being able to drive the vehicle without a key involved period is not very wise in my opinion. I wonder if the insurance company would even pay out if the vehicle was stolen :confused:

#36 ·
... Being able to drive the vehicle without a key involved period is not very wise in my opinion. I wonder if the insurance company would even pay out if the vehicle was stolen :confused:
well, considering that the vehicle was previously left running w/ the key in the ignition, i would think the insurance company would welcome the improved security of the new arrangement.

#41 ·
i love the mod but had one concern. i remember years ago people were breaking into cars and when they were done all the manual cars and whatever autos they could get out of park got pushed into the middle of the street.

with no column lock arnt you worried about the push thief's? ya know push it to a more secluded area to get to work instead of being in your driveway?

#42 ·
Not really. In my line of work I get to see lots of stolen and recovery vehicles and the most common method is with the keys. With the addition of transponders, auto theft has turned into a crime of opportunity. You leave the keys in the ign, for whatever reason, the right guy sees it at the right time and your car is gone.

If someone, who has the skill to steal a Honda 4-track transponder without keys, really wanted my car, there's nothing I could do to stop it. All you need is a tow truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.