Honda Element Owners Club banner

Cooper Discoverer M+S

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  paulj 
#1 ·
Hi, I live in the North East, and am looking for snow tires for my E w/AWD. I want something that will handle the conditions we typically see up here (which is everything, snow, ice, slush, etc..) including some trips up to the ski mountains further north. I have looked a lot on here, and have pretty much decided that the blizzacks wear too quickly, and the best tire is the nokian hakka's. I got a place here local that has some good prices on them, but they actually recommended the Cooper Discoverer M+S. The say the nokian's are definetly still the 'better' tire, but that the coopers are very good, and the price is quite a bit cheaper ($50 less a tire). I have found a little on this site by searching on the coopers, but not much. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on these tires and/or the savings/benefits of the nokians vs the coopers.

Thanks
Kevin.

#2 ·
I've used both the nokians and the Coopers. The nokians are very good in snow, but not as good in the rain and ice so they may be the better tire for ski trips up north, but not as good for the conditions you might normally experience further south. I think the Coopers are better for ice and rain; however, I find the Coopers to be a noisier tire at highway speed, but has better treadwear.

You also may want to consider putting the nokians on the front and the Coopers on the rear. That way you get the best of both worlds.

#3 ·
Also made by Cooper is the Mastercraft Courser MSR, with a slightly different tread pattern, and possibly a bit lower price.

I don't have experience with Cooper/Mastercraft snow tires, but do have other models on my RAV4 and Element. If your local dealer has a lot of experience with snow tires then it is worth listening.

paulj

#5 ·
'Discoverer' is Cooper's name for most of their SUV tires. You need to add the letters, HT, M+S, AT, ATR, etc to fully identify the model. The same goes for Goodyear's 'wrangler', Bridgestone's 'dueler', and Yokohama's 'geolander'.

Does Cooper make a Weathermaster (their Passenger winter tire) in the 215/70/16 size? I don't see it on the specs table.

paulj

#6 ·
If you're going to want an all-season tire and are looking at Nokian then the tire place showed you the wrong tire. The Nokian Hakkapeliitt[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a line of tires are not all-season tires, they are winter tires and shouldn't be compared to an all-season. The tire you should be looking at in the Nokian line would be the Nokian WR SUV, this is the one to get for a true all-season tire.

It works great in snow, rain, ice, slush... you name it. Yes it works as well in dry conditions too.

[/font]

#7 ·
I have Cooper Discover M+S on a Ford 4X4 and have the Mastercract ATs (stock size) on my wife's EX AWD (auto) and my EX AWD Elements (manual).

The mastercrafts are made by Cooper used the Discovery core, but have a more aggressive treat. Both are very good in snow, and great with rain and ice. I have no experience with the Nokians, but can highly recommend both the Coopers Discover ATR and the Mastercrafts ATs.

#8 ·
we have cooper discover M+S on our winter steelies and absolutely love them. It is a great tire..period. i don't know how many miles we put on this set(every winter since '04) but it's a lot... i highly recommend.

this is not my 1st set of coopers... have had them in the past and never had any problems. it is now time for new tires on the stock alloys and after much research(thanks to EOC) i am really leaning toward the discover ATR :D

#9 ·
Cooper Discover M+S is the way to go

I've had the Coopers since '05. I swear , if someone put these tires on (without you knowing) and you got up the next morning to drive you would not feel a difference .

They do eat up about 2-3mpg so I get 23+ vs 26. I have front wheel drive only so they are only on the fronts but they have been no issue getting through the snow. Reasonable price as well !

#10 ·
I'm swearing by the Green Diamonds!

I had the M+S for awhile, then I discovered that there really is no such thing as an "all season" tire and started running the Green Diamonds on the steelies for winter and Coopers ATR's in the summer.

The M+S start wearing real weird when they get low on tread. I paid for a 4-wheel alignment and everything was fine. So they may be cheaper but IMO if you can afford the more expensive, go for it!

#11 ·
My gf had the discoverer ht's on her awd element and had them for about 40k. They wear well and have good traction in winter conditions. (we are from upstate ny and still have friends and family we like to visit for the holidays). But after 35 to 40k, the road noise became unbearable. We had always had them rotated at 5k intervals and proper tire pressure was maintained. We just had a new set of michelin ltx's installed today and what a world of difference. The coopers still had quite a bit of tread left on them so longevity was not the issue, it was the road noise. So if you don't mind noise, they will save you some money. I know we like the reduced noise also and will never cheap out on tires again. Its just not worth it imo.

#12 ·
HT tires? Those are highway-allseason category ones. The tread isn't particularly aggressive - no more so than the Wranglers. Tires tend to become quieter was they wear. I wonder if these had developed cupping - tilted wear patches on each tread block.

I have Mastercraft equivalents on my RAV4, and they have worn well, and evenly. Better than the ATRs on my Element. And the RAV's tires are not noisy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.