Honda Element Owners Club banner

Any Professional Installers out there

879 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  audionut 
#1 ·
I am planning on buying an 03'
I used to install car audio and alarms and I would always study the hondas and the differences between trim levels.

From a stereo perspective what are the differences between the DX and the EX in 03'?

I know the sub was not in the DX.
Does honda still run wires for all of the speakers if they were not a factory option?
How is the factory sub powered? Seperate amp? where?
Does honda still use those annoying rain shields for the speakers in the doors that you have to cut out to install speakers with larger magnet structures?
Is the radio a double DIN or 1 and 1/2.

I have already looked through this forum and seen some amazing installs.

I think the first thing I will do is dynamat everything and get carpet. The interior of these cars is very reflective. An acoustical nightmare. A challenge...yes!!!!!!!

I am thinking of building a dual 10" piggyback isobarik center console/ sub box and mounting the amps under the seats.

Damn I think I should get the car first.

See less See more
#2 ·
Answers:

- Stereo differences: no amp, no sub, no A pillar tweeters, single DIN deck on the DX.

- You can tell us if the DX is prewired for a sub. This has never been determined to my knowledge.

- Yes, there is a separate amp in the right kick panel on an EX. Don't bother to try and fit anything else in there bigger than a crossover. The factory amp is tiny.

- Yes, there are rain shields but if you cut them out, you can fit most anything in the doors.

- The deck is a double DIN, ISO-mount.

Good luck. Keep us informed. Take pictures.

#3 ·
Thank Outpost, I just finished skimming your pics a and thread. F-ing nice man. Do it once Do it right.

How much did the dynamat cut down on road noise?

Did you have any troubles with the dynamat making it difficult to fit things back together? Like the door panels snapping back on or the seat bolts lining up correctly? Did you still have that dynamat smell? I miss that smell believe it or not.

Is the perephiral pre-amp switcher a priority switcher or does it have an external control? Do you think it degrades SQ at all?

#4 ·
Road noise was dramatically cut down because of the Dynamat. Whole frequencies just disappeared.

No smell or re-assembly difficulties because of the Dynamat. You have to be intelligent as to where to put it but you can handle that.

The Peripheral switch isn't currently hooked up. I never did get the it to work without inducing engine noise into the system but that may have been my fault. I didn't have the service manual when it was installed and the auto-switching function of the AUX input might have not been disabled. You have to use an external switch to make it work.

#5 ·
I always had trouble with perephiral products. I quit installing car audio and started home A/V system design in 2000 so I have not had any experience lately with peripheral lately. The company always had great ideas for products but they just seemed cheaply built and problematic. Do you have any ideas for the future. A true audiophile is never satisfied. It is a infection a desease really. The audio bug. I always admired but never understood those guys that would get a killer system and leave it alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.