Honda Element Owners Club banner

Brake recall and speedo bulletin

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  bEp 
#1 ·
Got my 07 SC 5spd about a year ago from a Honda dealer in Western Nebraska. About a month later, I started losing the ability to shift into some gears. The shift cables were kinked and not working right. The dealer said there was no way they could have known about the issue, but finally agreed to cover half the repair cost. Not long after, the passenger window wouldn't work. The whole mechanism had to be replaced. I also noticed the speedo was slow by about 5, but wasn't concerned much with it. It is now 10 slow, so I decided to look into it and found out about the safety bulletin which expired in 2010. I also just found out about the soft brake issue and recall. I now live in Illinois and have scheduled an appointment with a local dealer to have the recall work done and get a diagnostic on the speedo.

Should the dealer I got the E from be held responsible for anything here? Both the bulletin and recall forms I've seen on the forum state that they MUST fix these issues and to my knowledge they weren't even aware of them. What do you guys think? Any advice here?

#4 ·
only Honda dealers are going to do recalls... and TSBs are not mandatory. Speedo thing sounds weird. I would think that it should work or not work. How can you even tell if it is 5 mph off?

Window regulators break on every car in AZ due to the heat. It is a little crappy plastic knuckle that gets brittle over the years.

If you got from a used car lot, there is nothing they are required to do. You have a 6 year old car, do you really expect nothing to happen to it in the first year you own it? Also, how do you know the brake recall wasn't done? Register with Ownerslink and see if there is any outstanding stuff that needs to be done.

#9 ·
I bought it used from a Honda dealer so they should have at least done the recall work. I'll have to check for the black caps. I doubt they did it though because they asked me to schedule a time to come do it.

I can tell the speed is slow by 10mph using a gps and also being on the phone with my dad in a car behind me saying how fast he was going.

And no, I didn't expect it to be trouble free. But I feel like these are some pretty major issues to be having for a used Honda from a Honda dealer. Certified or not.

#10 ·
Got my 07 SC 5spd about a year ago from a Honda dealer in Western Nebraska. About a month later, I started losing the ability to shift into some gears. The shift cables were kinked and not working right. . . .

Should the dealer I got the E from be held responsible for anything here? Both the bulletin and recall forms I've seen on the forum state that they MUST fix these issues and to my knowledge they weren't even aware of them. What do you guys think? Any advice here?
Used products of any kind have very limited warranties. After a year, with the exception of recalls, that responsibility is long past. My advice is the next time you consider buying a used car, have a mechanic check it out first.

#12 ·
who cares... it is a non-issue repair anyway. You will notice nothing once the recall is done. Just get it done and move on.

Nothing you have said about the speedometer proves anything. Does your dad have stock tires on his car? Do you? Is a GPS device proven to be accurate? I'll state it again, go by a salvaged speedometer for $50 bucks on ebay and be done with it...

#13 ·
My SC had the original tires on it until 2 weeks ago, when I replaced it with the same size. My dad's truck is a 2012 chevy 1500, new from the dealer with everything stock. The gps has been tested many times on the highway, at speed, with a vehicle in front or behind for comparison. All of that, combined with the fact that when parked my speedo needle points below zero over the "door open" indicator, does nothing but prove that the speedometer is wrong.

I don't think you are understanding what I'm asking. The issue is not in the repair, it's in the fact that the dealer hadn't already done it. It doesn't make me feel good about Honda in general. Should I just call Honda a file a complaint or do something else?

#14 ·
My SC had the original tires on it until 2 weeks ago, when I replaced it with the same size. My dad's truck is a 2012 chevy 1500, new from the dealer with everything stock. The gps has been tested many times on the highway, at speed, with a vehicle in front or behind for comparison. All of that, combined with the fact that when parked my speedo needle points below zero over the "door open" indicator, does nothing but prove that the speedometer is wrong.

I don't think you are understanding what I'm asking. The issue is not in the repair, it's in the fact that the dealer hadn't already done it. It doesn't make me feel good about Honda in general. Should I just call Honda a file a complaint or do something else?

File a complaint because the dealer won't fix a problem that was covered by a "product update" (it was never a recall) that has expired?

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=898261&postcount=232

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.