Honda Element Owners Club banner

Motor Mount vs Transmission Mount Symptoms

54K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RedRory 
#1 ·
Hi,

What are some of the indicators of bad mounts and how can one tell the difference between a bad motor mounts vs. a bad transmission mount?

Even if the mounts are not visibly cracked or broken - is it possible that they are just worn and still need replacing?

Are there certain mounts on the E that tend to go more often than others?

My Symptoms:
- slight bump/clunk when shifting from Park to Reverse
- noticeable shifts when crawling along (less noticeable if under harder acceleration).
- When performing the Brake & Rev test (in gear/drive & reverse) I do not see or hear any noticeable play in my motor mounts.
- When I rock the vehicle back and forth in drive I can see the transmission mount moving noticeably, but again I can't see any visible cracks.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

See less See more
#2 ·
ok -

I changed out my transmission mount this evening and WOW what a difference.

I got a $30 cheapo from rockauto. I wasn't positive that it was indeed the trans. mount that was causing my problems, but it is now shifting much smoother and more predictably.

At 117k my used mount was not noticably broken or worn when looking at it, but after getting it out of the car - it did have a small crack on each side and was pulling away from the bottom of the mount. High time to replace it.

#5 ·
It's probably one of those repairs that - even if nothing is broken - you'll still notice a difference in how it shifts. My wife thinks I have a sickness with my hearing things broken on the car.

I can also say that it's possible to replace the mount with out removing the air filter box, but it would have been much easier to get to the back side bolt had I gone that route. I replaced mine by only removing battery box/tray.
I also ended up removing both the mount and the engine bracket that the mount bolts to. You can probably get away with just unbolting the mount itself.

It took roughly 1 hr.

#6 ·
I thought i'd follow up after replacing all 3 motor mounts today.
Unbelieveable difference!

After getting the old one's removed - they actually looked fine...small hairline cracks and overall just looked old/worn, but no severe cracks. At 118k I think they were just showing their age.

For all 3 - it took me about 2.5 hrs or so. This includes dealing with sub-standard aftermarket fitment issues (which I was almost expecting).

It feels SO good to have them done and it was money well spent!
no more clunking, weird vibrations, 'delays'between shifts etc.

#7 ·
Thank you all for the info on trans\motor mounts

Hello everyone.
The info I found here fixed my 05 Element I had just bought from a dealership. i noted the noises during the test drive, bought the car and the dealership fixed it at no charge. They had previously changed the front trans mount, but not the rear. After the change, gas mileage greatly improved, back to 21-24 MPG, and it purrs... It has 98K on it and still going strong! Now a query to all.. Which intake is the best for the price? Injen, K&N or aFe?

#8 ·
I have been noticing a really annoying vibration/noise between 2/3 gear. I decided to change out one of the mounts like some people did on the EOC. The old mount did have noticeable signs of wear and a few hairline cracks. Wow, what a difference. No more noise!!!!!!!!!! I'm in no way a mechanic, and this was easy to do. I also used the Rock Auto part. Like others, I had a small fit issue, but nothing I couldn't make work. Thanks to the EOC for all the knowledge and keeping my E in tip top shape!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.