Honda Element Owners Club banner

Third Brake Light Decal

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JPH102900 
#1 ·
I won this eBay auction for a very simple mod and thought I'd share the results. It's just a matte black decal that leaves ELEMENT open for the third brake light. Popped the cover off the brake light, slid the bulb out of the housing, removed the two bolts mounting the housing, popped off the red filter, applied the decal, and reassembled. Voila! The only two points of advice I'd give: You may need to fill in the edges a bit (black Sharpie?), as the laser precutting isn't quite exact; be careful reinserting the brake light bulb, as its positioning makes for a mildly tricky little 90-deg turn at the contact pointthat could result in a short.

I wasn't sure how cheesy it'd look, but I think it turned out pretty tasty.

First pic: Brake pedal not depressed (sorry for the glare!)
Second pic: Brake pedal depressed

See less See more
#2 ·
Laura keeps asking me to get her one of these off of ebay. I keep meaning to, thanks for reminding me. It looks great!

#6 ·
My brother and his bud both have huge Yukon Denali's. It took me hours but I finally fashioned a 3rd lite DENALI sticker. I get alot of puzzled stares. Canadian sense of humour humor I guess....

#8 ·
Why anybody would change the characteristics of a brake light, or partially cover it up is beyond me. Today, most drivers rely upon the thrid brake light, instead of the other two to know when to step on the brakes.

It seems to me that these and those taillight covers lessen the safety of your car, and make others more likely to rear end you. Some of the covers actually cover up or reduce the reflectors, and some of the things placed over the third light almost completely make them worthless.

#9 ·
Mark C said:
Why anybody would change the characteristics of a brake light, or partially cover it up is beyond me. Today, most drivers rely upon the thrid brake light, instead of the other two to know when to step on the brakes.

It seems to me that these and those taillight covers lessen the safety of your car, and make others more likely to rear end you. Some of the covers actually cover up or reduce the reflectors, and some of the things placed over the third light almost completely make them worthless.
Actually, it isn't a big deal, the light is hardly covered. If someone doesn't notice your brakelight because you have covered a few square inches of it, then they aren't paying any attention. Not to mention your other two brake lights would be warning them of you stopping :twisted: :roll:

#12 ·
Mark C said:
Got you beat on that one. Although I am not the first to not do it! :rolleyes:

Any change in the characteristics of the brake light color or intensity is dangerous, and probably illegal too.

Nope :rolleyes: :twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.