Forget the curtain, make privacy panels! - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #1
uncebanyo
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 4WD LX
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Lightbulb Forget the curtain, make privacy panels!

Hello all, Iíve been reading up a lot about people making their own privacy curtains. This makes a lot of sense, since the Honda curtain is way over priced. Sheniferous for example has a great tutorial on how to make your own curtain out of nylon. But the one thing i cant really get over is that i absolutely hate the look of having a curtain hanging sloppily from the ceiling of a car. Even the professionally made Honda curtain looks horrible. Isn't there some other way to block out the windows?

So I was taking a nap in my brand new element the other day, and I got to thinkin', why not just put some kind of panel in the window? The shapes are fairly simple, and there's a rubber seal going around the inside of every window that would perfectly hold some kind of panel if it was sized right. So I did some searching on this site and couldn't find anything but "curtains curtains curtains!"

Anyway, I had a few hours of free time and high quality cardboard lying around so I decided to go ahead and try it. I made cardboard cutouts that perfectly matched the inside dimensions of every window but the windshield (including the sunroof) and popped them in just to see how it looked. To my surprise, they look great! They fit cleanly and blocked out almost all of the light that came into the car! Better yet, there's no curtain flopping around. I was originally thinking about using the cardboard cutouts to make duplicates with something more durable, like plastic, but actually decided that the cardboard was fine and I would hold off on that.

The panels do need to be painted, the brown of the cardboard clashes terribly with the blue/gray theme I have goiní on. But overall I like the cheap, simple, easy to use, and better looking panels far more than any curtain Iíve read about. If anyone is interested I could write a pretty easy How-To and post pics.:D
- Aftermarket Deck and speakers (nothing too fancy, i don't need to stop anyone's heart or anything),
- Passenger side mounted DVD player with flat panel display and stereo integration,
- Aftermarket cruise control,
- DIY side marker to blinker conversion,
- DIY ceiling cargo net,
- Metallic Black "H" Emblem with matching "A Perfect Circle" Decal,
- Disco Ball.
Love it.
uncebanyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Crankypants
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Re: Forget the curtain, make privacy panels!

Pics, absolutely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT

Reflectex bubble pack works well for this type of panel, especially in the rear windows where there is something of a lip in the plastic lining. I also use such a panel in the skylight to cut down on cooling radiation at night. I store my set of panels in the left rear window. They are held in place partly by the seat belt, and partly by other camping gear stored in the back.

paulj

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16

paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
wmas1960
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EXS
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Sounds like a great idea. I agree, Pictures. You could paint the panels or spray with contact adhesive and get some sort of material to laminate to them. Something coordinated with the colors in the Element. Or, how about using each one as a canvas and paint some sort of artistic design or whatever. Do something really personal. Will definately have to think of this option.
WmAS1960 (Bill) - 04 EXS 4WD AT SOP - Fogs, Sidesteps, Rear Deflector, Storage Armrest, Rear Bumper Trim, Cargo Cover, Carpeted Mats, Leather Steering Wheel, Mud Guards, Wheel Locks, Lund Interceptor and Home Depot Grill Screen painted Charcoal Gray.
wmas1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Crankypants
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj
Reflectex bubble pack works well for this type of panel ... I also use such a panel in the skylight to cut down on cooling radiation at night.
I realize Reflectex is opaque, but gosh, that gives me an idea: ordinary small-cell bubble wrap should provide privacy because it's translucent, yet by the same token would keep the car from being a dark cave; plus it should insulate reasonably well. You could trim it into window-size sheets, held in place with Velcro at the corners. Hmmmm.

ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
spdrcr5
Site Sponsor
2003 4WD EXS AT

Send a message via AIM to spdrcr5

Great idea! Post some pictures and if you want come up with a nice detailed set of instructions.

Did you use corrogated cardboard or something else?
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
PaddleMe

Another vote for pics.

How are they secured to the glass? Velcro on the edges? Suction cups? Good ol' duct tape?

04 GGM EXS AWD Auto
XM SkyFi2, All-Season Mats, Cargo Organizer, Cabana, Privacy Curtain, Thule Rack, Murdock Mat & Tray Liners, Rasta Bungees
PaddleMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
Sheniferous
EOC Rank: Neon
2003 4WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

that's exactly what this guy did:

http://www.geocities.jp/m_f39/Camping/camping.htm

from the babel fish translation, he cut it to fit each window, but i don't understand how he attached it. the translation refers to a "sash"??
Aftermarket & Homemade Accessories: Billet aluminum grille, Silverstar headlights, Cyberwhite Fog and Driving Lights, Hardwired 400W power inverter, Extra 12v socket, Homemade nylon privacy curtain, Rear sunroof sunscreen,
Tires: Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S 225/70/R16

SEARCH, RTFM, POST.
Sheniferous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2005, 02:21 AM   #9
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT

The babel fish tanslation is almost incomprehensible. I was able to make some sense of the Element manual translation, but this must be more idiomatic. I did deduce that he is using the window covers more for warmth than for privacy - like me.

I just cut my Reflectex a bit large, and let the edges crumple up a bit when I put the pieces in place. This approach wouldn't work on the front door windows where the inside rim is smoother.

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16

paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2005, 03:43 AM   #10
wmas1960
2004 4WD EXS

Sounds interesting but what is Reflectex? I did a GOOGLE search and don't come up with much other than it is an insulation material that includes layers of foil and polyetheline(sp?) and Bubble Wrap. Is this a ridged, board, type material or is it a sheet, fabric, type material. A couple entries there mentioned Home Deopt but their server is down right now. Lowes didn't return anything to my query.

I am not great on judging thicknesses but one post mentioned something of about 5/16ths of an inch? 1/3 of an inch, apprx?

If it is a sheet material that is flexible, Could you cut it the shapes of the windows, fan fold it and attach it to a ridgid piece of of wood that could be attached inside the top of the window. Then weight the opposite end so it will fall flat. You could then attach strings so you could draw it up or let it down like a window shade. Or just stick it in place with a few small Velcro Tabs that you could stick and leave attached to the corners of each window. I would think that would get a little unsightly though. Or, you could attach it to the backside of some Foam Board (they sell it in Gray and Black, in fact) or other cardboard type material, using contact cement. On DIY, I think it was, they mentioned wrapping heating ducts with it and using foil tape to seal the ends. You could use the foil tape on the edges of your foam board for a finished appearance. Then you could just stick that in the window openings. Maybe it would hold there with simple friction. I might have to look at how the frames around the windows are and if that would work.

Or, if it is a more ridgid board type material, just cut it to size and fit it in snugly as mentioned above with simple friction
WmAS1960 (Bill) - 04 EXS 4WD AT SOP - Fogs, Sidesteps, Rear Deflector, Storage Armrest, Rear Bumper Trim, Cargo Cover, Carpeted Mats, Leather Steering Wheel, Mud Guards, Wheel Locks, Lund Interceptor and Home Depot Grill Screen painted Charcoal Gray.
wmas1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.